Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bad game shows do you like  (Read 10190 times)

DrBear

Bad game shows do you like
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2005, 08:13:56 AM »
OK, another one I should have put in...
"Everybody's Talking." I even had the home game. Didn't last too long, but I was a big Lloyd Thaxton fan at age 10.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 08:56:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 01:05 AM\']I can't believe you didn't like "Temptation."  Art James dressed up like a riverboat gambler roolz.
[snapback]77707[/snapback]
[/quote]Thing is, Jimmy, I have no recollection of seeing Temptation; I would have only been able to see it during school vacations or sick time for its run (12/04/1967 - 03/01/1968. per the Encyclopedia), and I am unsure what time of day it aired.   At the time, I was eight years old, a third grader living in Massachusetts, and the ABC affiliates available were the old WNAC in Boston (Ch. 7) and WMUR in Manchester, NH (Ch. 9).[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 01:05 AM\']Esoteric Eric; <whew> (No, Whew! lasted thirteen months.)
Still one to go for a hundred posts.
[snapback]77695[/snapback]
[/quote]Not anymore; that's number 100. <Actor / comedian friend of mine, sarcasatically> "Release the f****in' doves." </acfoms>
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2005, 09:01:57 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 05:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 05:21 PM\']Would Break The Bank (model year 1976) be considered a flop? True, it lasted a mere three and a half months, but according to material presented in this forum, it was near the top of all daytime ratings during its run.
By the way, Jimmy, please use "Break The Bank" next in your last sig rotation. Thanks.
[snapback]77626[/snapback]
[/quote]

If it's cancelled after 16 weeks, it's still a flop.  A qualified flop, but a flop nonetheless.  And the lackluster performance of the syndicated weekly version didn't help matters any.
[snapback]77629[/snapback]
[/quote]

I guess GSN certainly considered it a flop because of the very little air time they've ever given it.

It's strange that the syndie version didn't do better.  If the ratings for the network version were that strong, you'd figure some of that would spill over to the syndie version.  From what I know, it was carried in most of the major markets - maybe it just wasn't promoted very well(?)  Or maybe it was just the whole pacing of the show.  After watching a couple of sydie eps recently, the whole show seems kind of rushed - much more so than the daytime version.  Having that bonus game really took away a lot of time where they could have played more game.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Little Big Brother

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2005, 09:08:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 06:45 AM\'][quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 09:23 PM\']Has Outburst been considered for adaptation for a game show?  It seems like it could work.
[snapback]77690[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes. It was called "Talk About."
[snapback]77715[/snapback]
[/quote]

I meant more of an "official" adaptation, such as Scattegories or Scrabble. But judging by your answer, I'll just presume the answer is "No"

GS Warehouse

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2005, 09:49:53 AM »
Flame if you must:
- Blackout
- Born Lucky
- The Challengers
- Couch Potatoes
- Free 4 All
- Hit Man
- TJW90
- Monopoly
- Quicksilver
- Small Talk
- Split Second, the 80s version
- TTD90
- Trivia Trap
- Wipeout

Granted, only TTD90 and TJW90 seem to qualify as bad game shows--I liked the concepts of the others; they just weren't executed well.

Also, the wave of kids' games shows in the late 80s and early 90s looked kewl because was a teenager back then.  But now that I'm a week-plus away from 30, I look back at shows like I'm Telling!, Slime Time and Treasure Mall and ask, "what were they thinking?"

tomobrien

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2005, 10:27:19 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 07:13 AM\']OK, another one I should have put in...
"Everybody's Talking." I even had the home game. Didn't last too long, but I was a big Lloyd Thaxton fan at age 10.
[snapback]77721[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed, Dr. Bear (and I had the "ET" home game, too!)...as well as with your pick of "Let's Play Post Office."

OK, and my guilty pleasure: "Make a Face."  Hey, when you're 7 years old, those spinning faces are pretty darn cool...

MCArroyo1

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2005, 10:33:14 AM »
Add my vote for "Trivia Trap."  Bob Eubanks acted more genuine here than on any other show he did, and I didn't mind the rules changes.  Sure, they took away from the basic premise, but they added variety and fit more questions into half an hour.  Liked the set, too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and "The Moneymaze" was awesome.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:08:15 PM by MCArroyo1 »

wschmrdr

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2005, 10:47:52 AM »
When I watched it a few times, I actually liked Monopoly. My favorite, which was sort of a semi-flop (only lasted 9 months) was Greed.

I also liked Scattegories, but the premiere week format for the bonus, not the 3-out-of-5.

I know I'm probably gonna get shot for this one, but would you consider Throut and Neck (the GSN animated interactive show) a flop? I liked that one too.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 08:56 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 10 2005, 01:05 AM\']I can't believe you didn't like "Temptation."  Art James dressed up like a riverboat gambler roolz.
[snapback]77707[/snapback]
[/quote]Thing is, Jimmy, I have no recollection of seeing Temptation; I would have only been able to see it during school vacations or sick time for its run (12/04/1967 - 03/01/1968. per the Encyclopedia), and I am unsure what time of day it aired.   At the time, I was eight years old, a third grader living in Massachusetts, and the ABC affiliates available were the old WNAC in Boston (Ch. 7) and WMUR in Manchester, NH (Ch. 9).
[snapback]77727[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ahhh, that explains it. I was seven when it aired, but I had the good fortune to be able to see it every day.  ABC fed it in the morning, but here in Flint-Sag-Bay City, MI, the primary ABC station passed on it and the CBS affiliate carried it at 4:30pm on kinescope, which really added to the "game show noir" aspect of the show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
I will probably be the only one who says this... but I actually enjoyed MG'98.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

ChuckNet

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2005, 11:08:48 PM »

And I loved the theme song, though some might say a mellow vocal tune by Harry Nilson isn't exactly well-suited to a game sh...oh, never mind. :-D

Incidentally, the show's REAL theme song was later re-used in early eps of He Said, She Said.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

jmangin

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 02:44 PM\']I really loved Friend or Foe and still do.
[snapback]77589[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to get off topic, but the "Friend or Foe" format in it's original form was almost a $1,000,000 show on CBS.

The show was to have been called Shafted, named after the UK version/format.  Six contestants (or whatever number the production team picked) were to have played a question and answer game with money being added to a group pot and someone being eliminated after the end of each round until there were just two people.  At the end, you chose either to Shaft your opponent (same as voting foe) or Share with your opponent (i.e. vote friend).  The same outcomes were used on FoF for friend/friend; friend/foe; foe/foe voting.

CBS went as far as to have the UK version's web-game link on their site for a good two months before the idea was scrapped in late 1999.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 07:48:52 AM by jmangin »

gsnstooge

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2005, 07:06:42 PM »
I liked TTD '90 and TJW '90.

ChuckNet

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »
The show was to have been called Shafted, named after the UK version/format.

A version also aired in Australia in early 02...it will prolly live in infamy down under as the show that took $otC down (it premiered on Nine as a temporary replacement for the latter, but bombed so badly, it was quickly cancelled and replaced by reruns of Frasier...those did so well that the plans for $otC's return were scrapped indefinitely, and no definite word on its return has yet to surface 3 yrs later).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ITSBRY

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »
[quote name=\'wtstudios8383\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 04:39 PM\']I would have to say The Joker's Wild 90 was a good game. Now, I may get killed for this, but I can honestly say Tic Tac Dough 90 was at least tolerable to watch. *ducks*
[snapback]77613[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree on both counts...I really liked TJW 90. I still don't 'get' why everyone things Pat Finn was such a bad host. This version also added a Jeopardy-esque element in that the questions were much more challenging.  The definitions thing was a little weird and didn't seem to fit, but other than that this was a good update. That Joker on the board with the bizarre flashing eyes STILL creeps me out when I think about it!  *shiver* :)

TTD 90 would have been just fine had Patrick Wayne lost his key to get into the studio. The set was weird and funky, but cool...the music sounded like it should be on 'Barney and Friends', but it actually grew on me. I wouldn't mind hearing it again.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com