Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recorded at NBC Studios in Burbank, CA  (Read 20331 times)

14gameshows

Recorded at NBC Studios in Burbank, CA
« on: March 08, 2005, 02:49:36 PM »
Ok, most of us can tell you the majority of game show occupants at the famed CBS Television City but can any of you all say what all shows were shot at NBC Studios in Burbank?  What I'm asking for is, what game shows during a undefined time period shot in the same studio.  Like for example, Password Plus was shot in the same studio for The Tonight Show.  Did Card Sharks tape in the same studio as Wheel of Fortune?  It looked really big.  Another question is during the 80s you had Wheel, Sale, Scrabble, SPassword, Blockbusters, Classic Concentration, Word Play, talk shows, soaps, who all shared studios and what were their taping schedules like.  I find it interesting how many can quote that PRICE taped shows every other day M-F and twice on some days and Feud taped on weekends, and Wheel taping during (the other two's) off season but no one can mention anything about NBC, and NBC had the most game shows.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:49 PM\']Ok, most of us can tell you the majority of game show occupants at the famed CBS Television City but can any of you all say what all shows were shot at NBC Studios in Burbank?  What I'm asking for is, what game shows during a undefined time period shot in the same studio. 
[snapback]77490[/snapback]
[/quote]
My understanding is that HSq primarily taped in Studio 3 (where Leno tapes now).

For the most part, I believe all of NBC's shows were spread around.  I have on tape a SP episode (the 1/22/85 episode--first show actually taped in 1985) where Bert Convy makes mention that "we're in Johnny Carson's studio [Studio 1], where the audience is all banked up--we'll take a shot of it later" [which they never did]).  Convy made reference to Inaugaration Day having been the day before, which is how I know the date (yes, I know Inaugaration Day is 1/20, but 1/20/85 was a Sunday so the decision was made to move Reagan's swearing-in to the next day).  

When I had the pleasure of having dinner with Chris C. and Randy in L.A. last summer, I asked Chris at which studio P+ primarily taped.  He told me they taped at all four majors (1, 2, 3 or 4) at one time or another.  So it would stand to reason that all of NBC's games would be moved around.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 03:29 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:49 PM\']Ok, most of us can tell you the majority of game show occupants at the famed CBS Television City but can any of you all say what all shows were shot at NBC Studios in Burbank?  What I'm asking for is, what game shows during a undefined time period shot in the same studio. 
[snapback]77490[/snapback]
[/quote]
My understanding is that HSq primarily taped in Studio 3 (where Leno tapes now).

For the most part, I believe all of NBC's shows were spread around.  I have on tape a SP episode (the 1/22/85 episode--first show actually taped in 1985) where Bert Convy makes mention that "we're in Johnny Carson's studio [Studio 1], where the audience is all banked up--we'll take a shot of it later" [which they never did]).  Convy made reference to Inaugaration Day having been the day before, which is how I know the date (yes, I know Inaugaration Day is 1/20, but 1/20/85 was a Sunday so the decision was made to move Reagan's swearing-in to the next day).  

When I had the pleasure of having dinner with Chris C. and Randy in L.A. last summer, I asked Chris at which studio P+ primarily taped.  He told me they taped at all four majors (1, 2, 3 or 4) at one time or another.  So it would stand to reason that all of NBC's games would be moved around.

[snapback]77502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Studio 3 was unofficially named "the game show studio," since the logos were painted on the backstage doors to the main hallways of Color City in the same way a portrait of Carson graced Studio 1's doors.  But they pointed out that the shows taped everywhere in the building.

The NBC shoeshine man was in between 1 and 3, with lots of signed photos of network stars on the wall behind him--for our purposes, I remember Jim Perry's picture when I took the tour back in 1979.

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 12:29 PM\']When I had the pleasure of having dinner with Chris C. and Randy in L.A...
[/quote]
MY pleasure! Yes, everything moved at NBC.

Generally, my personal recollection is LMAD in 1 (Carson, Bob Hope); HS in 3 (Leno, CPO Sharkey); SOTC in 3; WOF in 3; Concentration, P+ and SP in 2 and 4 (Laugh-In, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Days of Our Lives); I did TTTT90 in 3 and Hit Man in 4. Like that.

But folks like Bricon who have the tickets can add to this and prove that most everything I typed could have been elsewhere at various times. You might see the EOTVGS for more info.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 04:32:46 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 05:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 03:31 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 12:29 PM\']When I had the pleasure of having dinner with Chris C. and Randy in L.A...
[/quote]
MY pleasure!
[snapback]77511[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks!  That whole trip was one I'll never forget as long as I live.  :)

[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 03:31 PM\']Concentration, P+ and SP in 2 and 4 (Laugh-In, Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Days of Our Lives); I did TTTT90 in 3 and Hit Man in 4. Like that.

But folks like Bricon who have the tickets can add to this and prove that most everything I typed could have been elsewhere at various times. You might see the EOTVGS for more info.
[/quote]

Trebek once appeared on LENO after Jay moved from 1 to 3, where he mentioned, "I did CLASSIC CONCENTRATION in this studio,"  which gave me the sense that 3 was its primary home.  Obviously with all the moving around ClCon  would wind up in 2 on certain days (maybe more often than Trebek cared to mention).

I've seen ticket stubs that show that GONG also taped at 1, 2 or 3 at various points (I'd think 4 would've also been utilized).  There were two weeks of GONGs where the band was on stage (the 6/5-9/78 and 6/12-16/78 episodes [EDIT:  sorry, screwed up the dates]), leading me to wonder if GONG taped in a smaller NBC-Burbank studio for those two weeks (is that even possible?).  

See, it's been 25 years since I've been to Burbank (my last trip West didn't take me out there), and I didn't get to see much on the studio tour (I got the "death tour").  I didn't even get to see Johnny's luxury car--David Letterman was guest hosting for him that night.

Anyway, I'm just as interested as "14gameshows" in any other odds, ends, nuggets, tidbits, so if Randy or Brian want to add anything I'm all ears.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 07:29:12 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

johnnya2k3

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 03:42:11 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:31 PM\']Generally, my personal recollection is LMAD in 1 (Carson, Bob Hope)
[/quote]
Weakest Link, Twenty-One (the 2000 version), and now Access Hollywood.

But what about Scrabble, Sale of the Century, Battlestars, MG/HS Hour, $1.98 Beauty Show (which was a syndicated show, but did tape at NBC nonetheless), Card Sharks (Perry), Blockbusters (both versions), Just Men!, and of course Wheel of Fortune (long before they moved to TV City and now the Sony lot)?

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:43:42 AM by johnnya2k3 »

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 07:23:58 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 03:42 AM\']But what about Scrabble, Sale of the Century, Battlestars, MG/HS Hour, $1.98 Beauty Show (which was a syndicated show, but did tape at NBC nonetheless), Card Sharks (Perry), Blockbusters (both versions), Just Men!, and of course Wheel of Fortune (long before they moved to TV City and now the Sony lot)?
[snapback]77557[/snapback]
[/quote]

As per EOTVGS, Just Men! was in 1.

Please, no more Pat O'Brien talk. Why not go after Bill O'Reilly?

I'm just surprised no one's mentioning Lara Spencer.

jrjgames

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 07:48:33 AM »
When I saw Super Password, it was in Johnny's studio...years later when I saw Weakest Link, that too was in Johnny's old stomping grounds.  I don't recall which studio I saw Wheel and Sale in, but I did see them both on the same day, so they were in seperate studios.

Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour was also visited that very first trip to LA and I recall that studio being very big (for the digital display unit not the actual set which was tiny as hell), and the studio was DEF on the bank incline, I remember that part, and as I recall that was the only studio like that, so that too much have been in Studio 1 too.

John

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 08:06:39 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 07:48 AM\']When I saw Super Password, it was in Johnny's studio...years later when I saw Weakest Link, that too was in Johnny's old stomping grounds. 

[snapback]77564[/snapback]
[/quote]

Add the first season of Bullseye to the list of shows taped at Johnny's studio, right?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »
But what about Scrabble, Sale of the Century, Battlestars,

I had the studio tour in 1983, and saw "Battlestars" later that day.  During the tour, they had talked about the "big" studio, where "Fantasy" was set up at the time.  We were told that was also the studio where "Hollywood Squares" was done, because it's the only studio where the set would fit into!

During the tour, we got to sit in the audience of the Carson set where the tour guide explained that "we don't stop tape for anything on the Tonight Show; if a performer forgets the words to a song and wants to stop tape, we don't do that".

"Battlestars" taped in a completely different studio than the two mentioned above.  Sorry I don't know the numbers; and I don't have the EOTVGS in front of me.  Also, "Wheel of Fortune" was taping that same day, and they had another studio.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 09:03:02 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 09:48:09 AM »
I just wonder what they're doing with all those empty studios these days!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 09:54:02 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 07:06 AM\']Add the first season of Bullseye to the list of shows taped at Johnny's studio, right?
[snapback]77565[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought the EOTVGS had said that Johnny walked in on a BULLSEYE taping and complimented Ron Greenburg on the set.  Johnny didn't strike me as the type who would come to a studio during a day off, so it would stand to reason that BULLSEYE didn't tape in 1.

Doug
Doug

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
If Johnny walked in on "Bullseye, it's almost guaranteed that the show was in studio 3 on that day. But in that era most stuff moved around. Yes, I can attest to the fact that all 398 episodes (plus pilots)of WL and all 19 (plus 3 test shows) of 21 were DEFINITELY in studio 1   ;-)

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 06:48 AM\']I just wonder what they're doing with all those empty studios these days!
[snapback]77574[/snapback]
[/quote]
Space is still at a premium. At present:

1- Access Hollywood (and I believe Dennis Miller) just moved to the larger quarters. Miller had been in the cramped MS-NBC/CNBC news closet on the second floor (originally the home of those 5 minute newscasts at :55 of some hours)

3- Leno (and nothing else)

5- Telemundo (Access was ousted)

2&4- Days of Our Lives

9- Ellen

10- KNBC News

11- ? right now

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

dzinkin

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 12:35:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 12:29 PM\']1- Access Hollywood (and I believe Dennis Miller) just moved to the larger quarters.
[snapback]77579[/snapback]
[/quote]
But where was Access Hollywood when Pat O'Brien was hosting?

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 12:36:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 9 2005, 12:29 PM\']Space is still at a premium. At present:

1- Access Hollywood (and I believe Dennis Miller) just moved to the larger quarters. Miller had been in the cramped MS-NBC/CNBC news closet on the second floor (originally the home of those 5 minute newscasts at :55 of some hours)
[snapback]77579[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's a shame that Pat O'Brien is not on AH anymore. It would be a short commute if a studio and game show opened up for him...I know I'd never miss an episode if that happened!