Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opening night on 'Hollywood Sqaures'  (Read 3690 times)

The Pyramids

Opening night on 'Hollywood Sqaures'
« on: March 08, 2005, 08:36:17 AM »
Did GSN launch 'Hollywood Sqaures' with a b/w kinescope three years ago? If so was it from NBC prime time or daytime?

Admitedly I could be mistaken by associating that nigh with the b/w 'Let's Make a Deal' pilot shown two years ago.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 08:58:21 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 08:36 AM\']Did GSN launch 'Hollywood Sqaures' with a b/w kinescope three years ago? If so was it from NBC prime time or daytime?

Admitedly I could be mistaken by associating that nigh with the b/w 'Let's Make a Deal' pilot shown two years ago.
[snapback]77444[/snapback]
[/quote]

The first Marshall HS episode shown on GSN was a 1968 NBC primetime episode airing at 10AM EST on 4/15/02. They showed the LMAD pilot in Spring 2003, IIRC it was shown the night the Billy Bush version debuted on NBC. LMAD launched on GSN in August 2001 with a week of 70s nighttime syndicated(as well as one or two ABC) episodes in primetime, complete with taped bits from Jillian's in Southern California.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 08:36 AM\']Did GSN launch 'Hollywood Sqaures' with a b/w kinescope three years ago? If so was it from NBC prime time or daytime?

[snapback]77444[/snapback]
[/quote]

The neat thing I remember about some of the early HS shows they ran were that they included the awesome peacock animation and voiceover of "This program is brought to you in living color on NBC.."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 02:25:00 PM by aaron sica »

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:56:29 PM »
With the exception of the original CBS "Squares" pilot with Bert Parks, "Squares" and "LMAD" were always in color--including the "LMAD" pilot.  ABC may've distributed black-and-white kinnies to the secondary affiliates that weren't hooked up to the network line when "LMAD" started running on their network, but it never was a black-and-white show.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »
ABC may've distributed black-and-white kinnies to the secondary affiliates that weren't hooked up to the network line when "LMAD" started running on their network, but it never was a black-and-white show.

It's quite likely that was the case.  I have some old TV Guides from the early '70s, and the ABC "Password" is listed in black and white on a couple of stations that were airing it at a different time than the network.  Also, the celebrities listed were on the main ABC feed a couple of weeks earlier.  It must have been a kinnie.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 09:31:12 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 03:24 PM\']The neat thing I remember about some of the early HS shows they ran were that they included the awesome peacock animation and voiceover of "This program is brought to you in living color on NBC.."
[snapback]77481[/snapback]
[/quote]
GSN is trying not to show those kind of network colophons these days.

They eventually sidestepped both the Peacock and the end-of-show NBC chimes on those old Primetime "Squares" and did a little tightening up of the opening to eliminate that awkward gap where the sponsor's billboard was most likely put.

GSN would sometimes air the CBS logos that are appended to the end of WML?, IGAS, BTC and TTTT kinescopes. Those were the logos that zoomed in on another eye within the CBS eye, and that eye's iris opened up like a camera shutter to reveal the words 'CBS Television Network", then closed up again. Haven't seen them lately, however.