Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password, or Password Plus?  (Read 11637 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password, or Password Plus?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2005, 03:25:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:17 PM\'][quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 09:29 PM\']And it could still work today... but you need **real** stars, with brains and a little glamour about them.
[/quote]
An oxymoron if you ask me.
Can anyone picture Coolio playing Password?
[snapback]77423[/snapback]
[/quote]
Until you have beaten Dick Clark at Pyramid, I think you are in no position at all to criticize Coolio's intellgence. I could absolutely see it. He's proven that when he does a game show, he makes an effort to be good at it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 03:26:26 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2005, 07:28:05 AM »
This is going to take this totally off topic -

My wife was downloading ringtones and found two by Allen Sherman - "Hello Muddah Hello Faddah" and ... "Harvey and Sheila."

So I sang her a few lines from the song...then flipped to the Big Board...

and there are the lyrics....

doDOOdoodoo doDOOdoodoo....

(on-topic - OK, Coolio would do well on Password...but I have trouble with Snoop Dog.

"The password is STEAK."
Shizzle....
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2005, 09:03:43 AM »
The first version I remember was the ABC version, which I'd watch most lunch times (and then switch over to "Celebrity Sweepstakes" at 12:30!)  At that time, I didn't even know about the original CBS version.  Either the reruns were never carried in my area, or I was just too young to remember them.

I remember when "Super Password" premiered, and after watching the debut couldn't figure out why they just didn't call it "Password Plus" again - because I couldn't see anything really different about it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

14gameshows

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »
Well to respond to this post, since I've seen the B&W/color Password, Password+, and Super Password.  I side more with the Password + version because that was the first Password I actually saw until one day I watched the program that came on 30 minutes before hand (remember on Saturdays on GSN at 3:30)...well I thought the original version was boring, cuz it was guessing words all day long until you got 25 points.  I'm not a points person, I'm a dollars kinda guy.  Also one thing that bothered me was you could win an additional $250 more in the lightning round for a total of $500 for a game.  Maybe it's just me but that's not rocking my boat...however though, $500 for guessing words back in that time period was good money and it could buy you some things, on the other hand, wasn't Cullen's Price is Right the big money show of the G-T stable?  

Like some of you, the show did eventually grow on me.  I look back and I see that Password had some A-list celebs...something that celebrity game shows will never ever see IMO anymore, that was a plus.  But my favorite versions are the NBC editions.  It's something about Password Plus and Super Password that I like but can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it's the guessing the passwords which leads up to the Password Puzzle, which was the best thing that could have happened to Password, unlike this Password All-Stars format I keep hearing about, is what I like about the shows.  It's like you finally get the word (provided you covered it up on your tv screen) and then you have to guess again to see how that word is linked to the other revealed/not revealed words for a person, place, or thing.  I find it funny how in the 60s, you had to get all five passwords in 60 seconds at $50 a piece but in the late 70's you had to get double that at $100 a piece but win $5000 if you clear the board.  What makes you go from 5 words to 10 words in 60 seconds?  Were the people dumber back then, what gives?  What I would like to see is the difficulty of words from the 60s played in the 70s/80s version for $5000+!  Now that's working for you money.  

On Super Password...there was nothing different about it except for the escalating Super Password round starting off at $5000+ and the Ca$hword round for $1000+ but for only one word (very difficult to convey) and only three clues.  SP did bring back the switching partners element that the 60's version had.  Other than the new set, new host, and MMS, that was the only "Super" thing about it.  I'd call it super too, if I had the noon timeslot on NBC.  But all versions (except for the PAS) is basically simple and fun to watch.  I guess there's a market for people guessing words... Bob Stewart knew.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 12:30 PM\']SP did bring back the switching partners element that the 60's version had.
[snapback]77470[/snapback]
[/quote]
To be fair, the "crossover" was reintroduced late in P+'s run (along with an increase in the amount of $$ needed to win).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2005, 01:50:36 PM »
I prefer Super Password over P+. I recall watching some episodes of Super Password first run.

Then again, I like a lot of the 80's remakes (Eubanks CS over original, Classic Concentration over original, Combs Feud over Dawson) even though Super Password was a remake of a remake.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

14gameshows

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 01:55:22 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 01:42 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 12:30 PM\']SP did bring back the switching partners element that the 60's version had.
[snapback]77470[/snapback]
[/quote]
To be fair, the "crossover" was reintroduced late in P+'s run (along with an increase in the amount of $$ needed to win).

Doug
[snapback]77473[/snapback]
[/quote]

I knew late in the run that it took $500 to win the game but I never knew that the crossover took place in this run too.  My apologies!

Neumms

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 01:57:10 PM »
The original is still the best--better stars, more challenging words. The P+ puzzles weren't up to the intelligence of the show, although they got better in Super Password.

SP, except for Ludden's absence, was better than P+. Cashword was a great addition, because it gave us at least one challenging word a show, the bonus was a greater challenge, and I still contend the P+ set was chintzy. And Bert wasn't bad at all.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 11:57 AM\']and I still contend the P+ set was chintzy.
[snapback]77477[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are higher than high if you are calling the P+ set "chintzy" over a Super Password set that chyroned it's words, possessed the cheesiest doors in the history of game shows, and played the endgame off of a friggin' TV SET.

The desk flew in. Ooh. Pinch me.

For my money, the ONLY thing that SP had going over P+ was the difficulty of the endgame...winning SP was ALWAYS harder than winning Alphabetics. The Cashword wasn't all that enthralling (and if you want "chintz", I direct you to THAT prop), and the set and theme pretty much blew.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2005, 03:10:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 02:57 PM\']
The Cashword wasn't all that enthralling (and if you want "chintz", I direct you to THAT prop)
[snapback]77493[/snapback]
[/quote]

And if you want "chucked", I direct you to the last episode of the program. Priceless. :)

MCArroyo1

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 03:32:39 PM »
Hate to disagree with some folks, but I found very little to enjoy about Super Password.  One huge improvement to Password Plus over its predecessors was the faster gameplay, but Super Password made it a whole lot worse.  The Cashword was a glorified waste of time and unnecessary waste of money, and Bert Convy slowed the pace to a near standstill.  Also, I really didn't find him that funny.  Not that this show needed a comedian for a host.

I agree about the slightly improved bonus round (not about it's presentation, though), and that's it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 03:34:57 PM by MCArroyo1 »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 04:56:27 PM »
Way back when I had GSN, I was fascinated after watching a couple of weeks of Super Password to realize that they were averaging less than one complete game per show.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

ChuckNet

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 05:27:45 PM »
Hard to say...

- The original Password had more challenging words, plus more A-list star power than later incarnations...however, I still can't figure out the rules to the Big Money ('75) Lightning Round for the life of me!
- P+ had the Password Puzzle and Alphabetics a better set and theme than SP, and both Ludden and Kennedy kept the game moving faster than Convy
- SP had the Cashword, which was a nice touch, as well as a better maingame scoring system than P+ and method of handling illegal endgame clues (reducing the jackpot by 1/5 its value? I can't get the word across, so let me just give a 2-word clue...it'll still be worth another $4K to my partner!)

However, for my money, P+ was the best...had the elements of SP, plus the final work of "Mr. Password" himself, Allen Ludden, who was still in top form even during those final weeks before his departure.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2005, 05:31:06 PM »
Way back when I had GSN, I was fascinated after watching a couple of weeks of Super Password to realize that they were averaging less than one complete game per show.

That was also the case when P+ upped its winning score to $500 near the end of its run (which was introduced concurrently w/the mid-game contestant crossover and growing Alphabetics jackpot)...however, since they kept the same 100-100-200-200 scoring system, it really dragged things down, and there were more than a few eps where time ran out before they got to Alphabetics.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Steve McClellan

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2005, 05:36:39 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 02:27 PM\']SP had [...] a better maingame scoring system than P+
[snapback]77522[/snapback]
[/quote]
Really? Having one completely-irrelevant puzzle leads to a better scoring system? You must've *loved* Body Language and Feud '99! :)