Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password, or Password Plus?  (Read 11631 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Password, or Password Plus?
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »
I'd like to conduct an unscientific survey among the members on the board, and it revolves around this:

When I had GSN, I would watch every episode of "Password Plus" that I could.  When plain vanilla "Password" was on, I'd flip over to something else.  I grew up with the Super version, but it's not even close to how great a final product P+ was.  That said, my first exposure to the Password franchise was with the puzzles added on, and I didn't know that there was a previous format until years later.

I've tried to sit through a "Password," and I just can't.  It seems to plod along compared with the late 70s/80s shows by comparison.  There are probably more factors than just the pacing, but it's all I can put my finger on right now.

I'd like to know whether the young members of the board share my sentiments, or the 'seniors' look at it differently.  Or maybe age isn't an issue.  Either way, I'd like to know where you fall on the Password/Plus line, and your age (approximate if that's a sensitive thing for you)
Travis L. Eberle

sshuffield70

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:10:12 PM »
I used to watch PW/P+ when they were both on weekends, and I'd watch both of them.  Though, as many here know, I'm partial to P+/SP.  And 34.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:21:12 PM »
Even though I vaguely remember SP from childhood, I wasn't fully aware of the shows until P+, and was immediately attracted, esp. to Alphabetics. I later caught SP on GSN, and enjoyed the few eps. that I could catch.

I found original Password a bit dry, but it really grew on me. Now, I do try to  catch it when it is on B&W Overnight. It's still pretty fun, seems like an intimate party setting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:10 AM\']I used to watch PW/P+ when they were both on weekends, and I'd watch both of them.  Though, as many here know, I'm partial to P+/SP.  And 34.
[snapback]77319[/snapback]
[/quote]
When transferring from VHS can you record P+ onto DVD-?

Randy
tvrandywest
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 02:25:35 PM »
I've mentioned it here, at EZ Board, at a.t.-g.s. and I think even during drunken brawls at wedding receptions, but one more time...

My main problem with the P+/SP puzzle format is that someone thinking about the puzzle gets too big a break with the words. Example, if the three words in the puzzle are SCARECROW, WITCH and LION, and the clue you get for the next word is MAGICIAN, you're probably going to lean toward guessing WIZARD.

In addition, the puzzle limits the words you can use; look at a 60's Password and you'll see some words that are really, REALLY difficult to sum up in one-word or even two-word clues. It was more of a challenge, and that's why I liked it more.

My ideal password would be old-school Password (played starting at 6 points for the first guess, pass or play option and no opposites) played to 15 points for the win, followed by a five-word Lightning Round (30 seconds, not 60). At show's end, top winner gets to try for the big bucks on Super Passwords or Alphabetics or Betty White's Revenge or whatever you want to call it.

And don't include the Ca$hword; if it makes Betty White want to throw things, it probably isn't worth including in the show.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DrBear

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 01:21 PM\']When transferring from VHS can you record P+ onto DVD-?

[snapback]77321[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why not? He's done that with PDQ.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 02:28:48 PM »
I remember watching Password Plus in first run, and it's still one of my three favorite game shows overall (the others being the non-"definitions" Joker's Wild and Hollywood Squares).  The NBC (now CBS) affiliate here didn't carry Super Password until the last few weeks of its run, so the only episodes I saw prior to GSN's launch were from a tape sent to me by a family friend in DC.

I still prefer P+ to SP, but more for reasons of nostalgia than anything tangible about the shows themselves.  And I prefer both to the original Password, probably for the same reason -- though I'll watch all three.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 02:54:43 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 02:29:47 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 02:27 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 01:21 PM\']When transferring from VHS can you record P+ onto DVD-?
[/quote]
Why not? He's done that with PDQ.
[snapback]77323[/snapback]
[/quote]
Randy can transfer P+ and PDQ to DVD- because he's a VIP.

wschmrdr

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »
I'm one of the young'ins in the group, so I've only seen all 3 versions on GSN. Password seemed like a bland game at first, but it's started to grow on me. With plus and super I'm not fond of the puzzles, but I do enjoy the Alphabetics rounds. I'd rather see a traditional password main game, with the Alphabetics for the bonus round.

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 02:40:28 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:29 AM\']Randy can transfer P+ and PDQ to DVD- because he's a VIP.
[snapback]77325[/snapback]
[/quote]
Vast Improvement Preferred in my knowledge. Which format does my Dell DVD drive want to read? Which format does my Dell DVD burner want to burn? Which format can be viewed more reliably on home DVD players? DVD? E-I-E-I-O.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Chief-O

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 02:47:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 02:21 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:10 AM\']I used to watch PW/P+ when they were both on weekends, and I'd watch both of them.  Though, as many here know, I'm partial to P+/SP.  And 34.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I can only think of several others here [myself included] that can get that joke.

As for me, I've sat through several eps. of the original Password. While it is a relative bore compared to P+, it does have its fun moments. Not to mention, the nostalgia value is a major reason why I've been able to watch whole eps.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 02:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 02:21 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:10 AM\']I used to watch PW/P+ when they were both on weekends, and I'd watch both of them.  Though, as many here know, I'm partial to P+/SP.  And 34.
[/quote]

Randy
tvrandywest
[/quote]

I get it too. HAHAHA.

I'm 19, and seeing how I grew up with SP, and watched the other two, I have to say "draw" because each show has its pluses and minuses. I like Old School Password because of the simple format; P+ because of the Alphabetics, and SP because of the switching and Ca$hword.....so I'm mixed.

alfonzos

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 03:18:50 PM »
[/quote]
Randy can transfer P+ and PDQ to DVD- because he's a VIP.
[snapback]77325[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can he do it ASAP on the QT?

But seriously, there are elements of both shows I enjoyed. The speed of play of P+ was more satisfying than PW. I liked how the password would build to master password on P+. However, the mechanical Lightning Round device built into the desk on PW was more fun to watch than Alphabetics was on P+.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

davemackey

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 03:30:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 03:21 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 11:10 AM\']I used to watch PW/P+ when they were both on weekends, and I'd watch both of them.  Though, as many here know, I'm partial to P+/SP.  And 34.
[/quote]

Randy
tvrandywest
[/quote]
No, you can only record SP onto DVD- as long as the original VHS was recorded at SP speed. You need DVD+ to record P+.

(Aren't we geeks?)

davemackey

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 03:37:23 PM »
And now, the on topic reply, now that I'm done with my wiseacre reply to Mr. West....

I'm one of those on this board who remembers watching the original Password at 2 in the afternoon on CBS (as well as syndicated repeats), then migrated with the format to ABC. Every little addition to the game (like the betting word or the double points for a single clue) helped enhance the proceedings. I saw all the evolutions of the format, including the Password All-Stars.

But "Password Plus", when it hit in 1979, was perhaps the ultimate. A new way to play, and word puzzles to boot, and the Alphabetics put the old-style lightning round to shame. So perfect was this version of the game was that when NBC resurrected it yet again as "Super Password", very few changes were made to the game (maybe a scoring tweak).

So, I don't find the original "Password" at all boring, particularly in my new career as a crossword puzzle constructor, where I'm sometimes forced to find single-word clues for words. I keep thinking, "how would Peter Lawford have gotten this across?"