Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR for the Experts  (Read 5881 times)

wschmrdr

TPiR for the Experts
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
I'm sure that the program staff those that there are people out there like us who know just about every piece of strategy in every TPiR game, and people out there who could play the games in our sleep.

So, imagine the producers of the program said, "Prove it."

All of the TPiR nerds would be invited into the audience to play, but at a price. The 6 games chosen would be the most difficult of the games to win, and require a LOT of knowledge, strategy, and maybe quite a bit of luck to win.

Now, pretend you're the producer that makes this proposition. What 6 games would you throw at us nerds? You may bring any game out of retirement that you wish, but it has to be games on the show, can't make up your own game.

I'll post later with my picks, but I'd love to hear yours first.

BlankBoy

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 01:11:59 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 12:04 PM\']I'm sure that the program staff those that there are people out there like us who know just about every piece of strategy in every TPiR game, and people out there who could play the games in our sleep.

So, imagine the producers of the program said, "Prove it."

All of the TPiR nerds would be invited into the audience to play, but at a price. The 6 games chosen would be the most difficult of the games to win, and require a LOT of knowledge, strategy, and maybe quite a bit of luck to win.

Now, pretend you're the producer that makes this proposition. What 6 games would you throw at us nerds? You may bring any game out of retirement that you wish, but it has to be games on the show, can't make up your own game.

I'll post later with my picks, but I'd love to hear yours first.
[snapback]77089[/snapback]
[/quote]
I watch TPiR enough to pick some tough games. I win on most of the games myself as I play along with the TV, but I can never win on Dice Game. That would definitely have to be one of the games on my list.

Blank

Neumms

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 01:22:54 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 01:04 PM\']Now, pretend you're the producer that makes this proposition. What 6 games would you throw at us nerds? You may bring any game out of retirement that you wish, but it has to be games on the show, can't make up your own game.
[snapback]77089[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd want the games that truly test one's pricing accumen rather than guessing the third digit in the price of a trip, so these:
Cliff Hangers
Magic # (with a narrower spread than usual)
Card Game
Race Game
Flip Flop (to get a quick game in there, and it seems to be the hardest of the "Double Prices" ilk)
Triple Play

whammy5000

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
That list sounds ok, but they'd have to put Golden Road in there somewhere.

Matt Ottinger

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »
Interesting question you've got here, but it's open to interpretation.  On the one hand, there are shows that are just difficult to win, such as Golden Road, where you're basically not doing much more than guessing a middle digit.  Unless you have these big-ticket prices memorized, there's no real skill in that, it's just guesswork.  Other games like Plinko and Dice Game rely almost totally on luck.

On the other hand, there are games that a smart person can play better than a goomba can.  Hit Me is the obvious (and notorious) example.  Race Game can be played better than most people play it.  Ten Chances is probably the "smartest" car game they've got.  These games are fairly easy to win if you know what you're doing.

Having said that, I like Neumms' list, and I get why he's picking Card Game instead of Ten Chances.  I personally prefer the ones that have more of a game to them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ClockGameJohn

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »
Without a doubt:  (For a reasonable lineup and some difficult setups)

STEP UP
PATHFINDER
TWO FOR ONE
CHECK OUT
CARD GAME
PICK A NUMBER

Like Matt said, there are different "types" of games that require luck.  I could make it very difficult for you to win Punch a Bunch if I wanted to.  Clock Game is SIMPLE to win, as long as you watch the show.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 03:54:19 PM by ClockGameJohn »

TalkingHeadsFan

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 03:55:59 PM »
I would definitely throw in "That's Too Much" SOMEWHERE in the line-up. Sure, it's not the most fun of all the games, but it's certainly one of the most difficult.

ClockGameJohn

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 03:57:27 PM »
I completely disagree.  I rarely have trouble "winning" TTM.  TTM along with games like Magic # and Range Game are not hard at all, assuming you watch the show.

Lucky $even could be considered the "hardest," if the Ford Escape is used!  ($19,995)

wschmrdr

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »
Interesting choices! I know most of you stuck with the games that are around today, but I'm going to bring a few out of retirement.

I'd start with Bullseye I. If you watch the show enough, you notice a pattern with the last digit of cars. Chevy's are almost always 5, Ford's most of the time are 0, and the rest you can pretty much figure out a pattern. Once you have the last digit down, it's a simple binary search to get down to the right price.

Pick a Number is something else I'd pick. Good knowledge of prices is DEFINITELY needed.

Next I'd actually go with Fortune Hunter. With Bob's clues you usually get a good idea of what you're trying to find, and if you screw up a previous clue, you can accomodate for it.

Fourth, the Balance Game. If you have a good idea of how much 2-digit prizes are, you can win the game.

Alright, maybe I should throw in a couple that are still around. Let's have #5 be the Grocery Game. Knowledge of how much the items cost, plus strategy is necessary. (This could also be Check-out)

And, to cap off a BIG Finish, we play the echo'd car game: Triple Play. Not too good odds, but if you know a general price range, you can win.

However, if the rules were you had to use games that are in play, I'd replace Bullseye I with On The Spot, Fortune Hunter with Hi-Lo (though I find it easy), and Balance Game with Cliffhangers (a simple strategy is implemented with that)

Steve McClellan

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 05:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 10:22 AM\']I'd want the games that truly test one's pricing accumen rather than guessing the third digit in the price of a trip, so these:
[...]
Flip Flop (to get a quick game in there, and it seems to be the hardest of the "Double Prices" ilk)
[snapback]77092[/snapback]
[/quote]
Uh, it's difficult because, two out of three times, you're guessing the third digit in the price of the prize....

Steve Gavazzi

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 08:43:53 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 04:11 PM\']However, if the rules were you had to use games that are in play, I'd replace Bullseye I with On The Spot,
[snapback]77116[/snapback]
[/quote]

On the Spot isn't really "in play" right now.  Its current status is more like, "they technically haven't retired it yet."

BrandonFG

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 03:35:20 AM »
I'd honestly put Cover Up on the list. That and maybe Switcheroo and...the one where you play for a car, and the middle three digits are all digits in the prices of three smaller items. It's not Switcheroo though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve McClellan

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 03:43:19 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 6 2005, 12:35 AM\']the one where you play for a car, and the middle three digits are all digits in the prices of three smaller items. It's not Switcheroo though.
[/quote]
Line 'em Up.

BrandonFG

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 03:47:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Mar 6 2005, 03:43 AM\']Line 'em Up.
[snapback]77165[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's what I thought. Thanks. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

TPiR for the Experts
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 04:00:42 AM »
My list is a split between retired & current games:

Golden Road:  Very difficult game based on winning %

Mystery Price:  I hardly saw the game but from what I've seen, it's rather tricky in that you had no idea what the actual retail price of a particular item is unless the game's played at a point where you merely "eliminate" certain possibilities(like Fortune Hunter).

Bonkers:  Speed & knowledge is the name of the game here.  Knowing where to place the disks & doing it QUICKLY is key here.

On The Nose:  If you know what the right price of the car is, than it'll be easier to complete the athletic part of the game.  That part never really fit in so to speak.

Grocery Game:  Good pricing is key here.  Strategy is crucial here.

Trader Bob:  The key here is knowing which item is more expensive than the one previously traded.  This was rather tricky in that this created a "step ladder" format where the prizes got more expensive as the game went along(like Cliffhangers).