Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: April schedule change alert  (Read 23450 times)

Matt Ottinger

April schedule change alert
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2005, 09:53:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 05:01 PM\']A hell of a lot more plausible than that no-name Gordon Elliott guy, anyhow. Who the hell was THAT clown? :)[/quote]
I don't know, but he sure seems to like soup.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2005, 10:03:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 01:02 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 10:49 AM\']This reaction would be repeated in my household the following Monday when Pat Finn reminded all of America that The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions.
[snapback]76725[/snapback]
[/quote]
The reaction in my household when this happened is not reprintable in a family forum. :)
[snapback]76727[/snapback]
[/quote]

What does that have to do with you posting the reaction here? ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 04:01 PM\']
A hell of a lot more plausible than that no-name Gordon Elliott guy, anyhow. Who the hell was THAT clown? :)
[snapback]76752[/snapback]
[/quote]

At the time, I knew him as the crazy guy from "Good Day New York" (still airing weekdays on WNYW-5 from New York City), who went around knocking on people's doors in the early morning. :)

sshuffield70

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2005, 12:00:40 AM »
And he had been in talk radio before that, I believe.  Here, he was on a long, departed station (now a soul station) that also featured Michael Jackson.

No, not THAT Michael Jackson.  The OTHER Michael Jackson, who also had a talk show as well.

trainman

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2005, 12:34:28 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 2 2005, 09:00 PM\']No, not THAT Michael Jackson.  The OTHER Michael Jackson, who also had a talk show as well.
[snapback]76817[/snapback]
[/quote]

And it's not the other other Michael Jackson, either.
trainman is a man of trains

Ian Wallis

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »
By the way, for those watching NBC at 11am ET on Labor Day 1990, when Charlie O'Donnell introduced Richard Kline as the host, how many of you went, "What?!?". This reaction would be repeated in my household the following Monday when Pat Finn reminded all of America that The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions.

Since both NBC stations in my area aired the Jerry Lewis Telethon that day, I didn't get to see it at all until I traded for it in the late '90s!

Also, I know he did it, but how could Pat "remind" everyone that it's a game of definitions on the FIRST episode?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 08:53:03 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2005, 11:38:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 06:52 AM\']Also, I know he did it, but how could Pat "remind" everyone that it's a game of definitions on the FIRST episode?
[/quote]
That was the kicker to the whole thing. Pat looked directly into your TV screen, and told, well, dozens of loyal Joker's Wild viewers, "AS YOU ALL KNOW, The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions." No, I in fact DID NOT know that, what's this third idiot doing behind the contestant podium, and where the hell is Fast Forward History?

Now, of course it's possible that Pat was addressing the players with that statement, who had doubtless seen a rulesheet by then and DID IN FACT KNOW that The Joker's Wild was now a game of definitions, but if so he was committing the cardinal sin of ignoring his audience, who deserved an explanation. :) (Of course, later we would find that said audience deserved an apology as well, for all of those half-hours they would never get back. :))
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:38:45 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2005, 07:17:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 11:38 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 06:52 AM\']Also, I know he did it, but how could Pat "remind" everyone that it's a game of definitions on the FIRST episode?
[/quote]
That was the kicker to the whole thing. Pat looked directly into your TV screen, and told, well, dozens of loyal Joker's Wild viewers, "AS YOU ALL KNOW, The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions." No, I in fact DID NOT know that, what's this third idiot doing behind the contestant podium, and where the hell is Fast Forward History?

[snapback]76844[/snapback]
[/quote]

Another kicker was that announcer Ed Mackay touted it as "The return of the Joker's Wild" in the opening of the earliest episodes.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2005, 09:35:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 10:38 AM\']Now, of course it's possible that Pat was addressing the players with that statement, who had doubtless seen a rulesheet by then and DID IN FACT KNOW that The Joker's Wild was now a game of definitions, but if so he was committing the cardinal sin of ignoring his audience, who deserved an explanation. :) (Of course, later we would find that said audience deserved an apology as well, for all of those half-hours they would never get back. :))
[snapback]76844[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK, silly question time.  :)

I remember watching the first episode like many of you and noting Finn's now-famous "as you all know" spiel.  And this format went on for a few months, IIRC  even into early 1991 (and I'm almost positive that those early 1991 episodes carried 1991 copyrights).  Then the decision was made to incorporate the "classic" format into the current game, but the shows were back to a 1990 copyright date (eventually some shows in the "classic/current" format carried 1991 copyrights).  Doesn't seem to make any sense that a format is changed and then backdated.

So my silly question is when exactly did the changeover occur?  Am I completely wrong in that there were shows in the new format that aired as late as early 1991 (with 1991 copyrights) before the changeover?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2005, 11:47:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 09:35 PM\']So my silly question is when exactly did the changeover occur? 
[snapback]76924[/snapback]
[/quote]
I can't summon the exact date (but Zach will be here soon) but I believe it was February 1991...just in time for Winter sweeps--known by most as February sweeps but I don't call them that because sometimes they begin in January or end in early March.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2005, 09:04:26 AM »
IIRC even into early 1991 (and I'm almost positive that those early 1991 episodes carried 1991 copyrights). Then the decision was made to incorporate the "classic" format into the current game, but the shows were back to a 1990 copyright date (eventually some shows in the "classic/current" format carried 1991 copyrights).

Hey - even I didn't notice that, and I thought I noticed all these small details!!  I've seen shows before where, if they knew they'd be seen early in the new year they'd change the copyright to that year.  Then, by the next taping date, it would be back to the year it was taped.  Maybe they didn't save the new date in the Chyron (or whatever they used) and just forgot(?)

A TV station I previously worked in always taped their "original" programs very close to air date, but if we were taping in late December, the director would make sure the copyright said the new year - but we almost forgot on a few occasions!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

AmazingErikZ

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2005, 05:56:41 PM »
I'm so happy to hear GSN is bringing back a lot of the classics! I love Password Plus & Super Password! Although, I've pretty much seen enough of $100K Pyramid--I wanna see $25K again, especially the weeks with: Harry Anderson, Michael J. Fox, & Billy Crystal's return!

I would love to see Super Password's entire G. Gordon Liddy week again. Does GSN have them?

I can't wait to see these shows again! It'll give me something to see when there's nothing on.

zachhoran

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Mar 12 2005, 05:56 PM\']

I would love to see Super Password's entire G. Gordon Liddy week again. Does GSN have them?

[snapback]77993[/snapback]
[/quote]

They have the G Gordon Liddy week, as well as all weeks from the 4.5 year run of Super Password. Liddy appeared on the 4/6/87-4/10/87 week of shows, and NBC got jeered when he appeared on both SP and an episode of Miami Vice in the same time frame. Of course, it would take 2.5 years for GSN to get to that week of shows assuming they start from the beginning of the run.

Were there any celebs who didn't clear their appearances on SP, however?

trainman

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2005, 12:24:06 AM »
GSN's April 4th schedule has appeared on my TiVo.  I have already set up my Season Pass for "Super Password."  It's impossible to do a Season Pass specifically for the Rafferty "Card Sharks," though; because of GSN's incomplete guide data, every "Card Sharks" episode on the schedule is listed as if it were a generic episode of the 2000 "Card Sharks."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:24:40 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Don Howard

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2005, 12:28:44 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:24 AM\']every "Card Sharks" episode on the schedule is listed as if it were a generic episode of the 2000 "Card Sharks."
[snapback]79223[/snapback]
[/quote]
21st Century Card Sharks.....the next best thing to syrup of ipecac.