Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Aah, I've seen this one already!"  (Read 5540 times)

davemackey

"Aah, I've seen this one already!"
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:59:58 PM »
I notice GSN is starting to recycle some of its "Street Smarts" episodes. Now given that GSN allegedly bought all of the first four years of the show (640 episodes), you think GSN wouldn't be so quick to recycle them. Even with showing only 8 episodes a week, GSN should be through the run in approximately a year and a half. But we all know better than to expect fresh programming from GSN... right?

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 15 2005, 06:59 PM\']I notice GSN is starting to recycle some of its "Street Smarts" episodes. Now given that GSN allegedly bought all of the first four years of the show (640 episodes), you think GSN wouldn't be so quick to recycle them. Even with showing only 8 episodes a week, GSN should be through the run in approximately a year and a half. But we all know better than to expect fresh programming from GSN... right?
[snapback]75178[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, and why is the show on so little now?

But if the series ends soon in syndication it is possible I guess that there will be more 'Street Smarts' on GSN at a better time, like last summer.

dale_grass

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
On the same wave, I've seen the same episode of Win Ben Stein's Money three times already (the redhead named Heather who had a perfect SAT score).  Cripes!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 10:14:48 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 15 2005, 09:28 PM\']

Yes, and why is the show on so little now?

But if the series ends soon in syndication it is possible I guess that there will be more 'Street Smarts' on GSN at a better time, like last summer.
[snapback]75186[/snapback]
[/quote]

If STreet Smarts does not get a season six, I think it would behoove GSN to try to do an original out of this show. They could limit the remotes to the LA area if the budget doesn't allow the out-of-town remotes. The prize budget isn't extraordinarily high, as the top cash win per show is less than $5000.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 10:52:50 PM »
I think it would behoove GSN to try to do an original out of this show

I'm going to make a pretty educated guess that a show singing its swan song currently wouldn't do any better with less of an audience to grab on cable. I'll assume whatever the show gets now in reruns on GSN would be its rating if new shows were made for the network. C'mon, six years of material - are people really itching for more of the same? I like the show, but...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 09:05:05 AM »
GSN's probably treating it like any other show they have - only airing one season for a prolonged period of time.  This seems to be their pattern - even if they have entire runs, they'll overplay one season before switching.  Oh well...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 16 2005, 09:05 AM\']GSN's probably treating it like any other show they have - only airing one season for a prolonged period of time.  This seems to be their pattern - even if they have entire runs, they'll overplay one season before switching.  Oh well...
[snapback]75218[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's why I think that if GSN ever brought a show back that people have been clamoring for (TJW,TTD for example), they'd pick a season, and air it ad nauseum.

I wish I understood their reasoning for that...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 06:43:49 PM by aaron sica »

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 09:53:07 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 16 2005, 09:33 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 16 2005, 09:05 AM\']GSN's probably treating it like any other show they have - only airing one season for a prolonged period of time.  This seems to be their pattern - even if they have entire runs, they'll overplay one season before switching.  Oh well...
[snapback]75218[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's why I think that if GSC ever brought a show back that people have been clamoring for (TJW,TTD for example), they'd pick a season, and air it ad nauseum.

I wish I understood their reasoning for that...
[snapback]75221[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hasn't it been reported in here that they no longer have free reins to the Sony-owned stuff, which explains the same season of J! and WOF(through last August) being shown for 3+ years, and the same season of New NG being aired ad nauseum.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 10:56:33 AM »
Hasn't it been reported in here that they no longer have free reins to the Sony-owned stuff, which explains the same season of J! and WOF(through last August) being shown for 3+ years, and the same season of New NG being aired ad nauseum.

Yes, but if they're actually making money now (as has been reported), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they'd do that.  You'd figure spending a little on what actually goes on the air (and delivers ratings and advertisers) should be considered a priority - even if it's "just" library programming.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

catnap1972

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 16 2005, 10:56 AM\']

Yes, but if they're actually making money now (as has been reported), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they'd do that.  You'd figure spending a little on what actually goes on the air (and delivers ratings and advertisers) should be considered a priority - even if it's "just" library programming.
[snapback]75225[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think most here would agree that the majority of what Sony owns outright is dead weight where ratings are concerned (no matter how much we'd like for them to loot through it) and even what G/T shows they have left that they're not airing currently aren't going to increase numbers much.