Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New from Tiger Electronics  (Read 9980 times)

Bob Zager

New from Tiger Electronics
« on: June 16, 2003, 10:58:32 AM »
While checking out some new stuff at boardgames.com, I clicked the \"Game Show Games,\" icon, and there was a new electronic version of Jeopardy!  This one, called \"Jeopardy! Remote,\" is similar in design to Hasbro's Remote Possibilities.

There was no detail about the game plays, but based on Tiger's previous versions, it probably still uses material with multiple-choice \"responses,\" to the \"clues.\"

GameShowFan

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 06:53:59 PM »
Has anyone bought \"Remote Possibilities\"? Is it the newest version of the Quizzard, or are the lockouts strictly tied to the game as written? I've always regretted not buying a Quizzard, but I haven't looked on EBay...

'Brian

clemon79

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 07:00:44 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' date=\'Jun 16 2003, 03:53 PM\'] Has anyone bought "Remote Possibilities"? Is it the newest version of the Quizzard, or are the lockouts strictly tied to the game as written? [/quote]
 From what people have told us, they are tied into the game code, but there is a buzzer testing feature that could be used as a rudimentary Quizzard if one were hard-up enough for one.

I was gonna post that I was surprised some enterprising company hasn't mass-marketed a dedicated buzzer system, but then I remembered the Quizzard. (I always think of it as a seperate game since it came with question books, or the accessory that comes with my $otC home game.)

dscungio

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 10:17:18 PM »
Has anyone bought \"Remote Possibilities\"? Is it the newest version of the Quizzard, or are the lockouts strictly tied to the game as written?

I bought it just to check out the buzzer system on it.  Basically, when you turn the unit on, it first asks the players to use their buzzers to register.  The system then calls out the colors of the buzzers in the order they were pushed.  You could use that to determine who rings in first, but:

* The colors are not listed on the LCD screen in the same order they were pushed.  You have to listen for the colors when they're called out.
* When two buzzers are pushed at the exact same time, they don't register.  One has to beat the other.
* After this, you must reset the registration to do this again.  If all six buzzers are used, you pretty much have to turn the thing off to start over.  Either way, it takes way too long.

However, if I had any advice for you: Avoid this game like the plague!

* The unit I had was defective.  The LCD readout showed incomplete words or no words at all very often.  Many people have reported this same problem.

* The game itself is just plain bad and boring.  One player acts as the host in each round and reads from the LCD screen.  There are three types of games: General Knowledge (the host reads a trivia question to the players), Complete the Phrase (the host reads a phrase one word at a time, the players must finish it), and Complete the Word (the host reads a word one letter at a time, the players must guess the word).  When a player buzzes in, the host must hit YES or NO to say whether or not the player was right.

* The only real \"strategy\" is the ZING button, which challenges another player to answer.  (Think of the Screws in You Don't Know Jack.)

My advice is to don't bother with it at all.  The game sucks and could very well be broken to begin with.  It's a good thing I bought it at half-price.  Even then, I paid too much.

Dean Scungio
dscungio@worldnet.att.net (dscungio@worldnet.att.net)
AIM & Y!: dascungio (Note the \"a\"!)

\"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it.\" -Monty Hall

Dsmith

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 11:57:52 PM »
So I see, as usual; Tiger Electronics continues to churn out new crap.  Sorry; Chris.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 12:56:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jun 16 2003, 08:57 PM\'] So I see, as usual; Tiger Electronics continues to churn out new crap.  Sorry; Chris. [/quote]
 If that apology was directed towards me, no need. We only bought out the interactive division of Hasbro. The rest still runs on its own. :)

TonicBH

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 07:15:35 AM »
As I was sifting through Tiger Electronics' website, two more GS electronics caught my eye: An even more portable WoF and WoF CROSSWORD?!

Jeez, Tiger's just milking their WoF game license...

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 11:14:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 04:15 AM\'] An even more portable WoF and WoF CROSSWORD?!
 [/quote]
 There's a ridiculously portable Jeopardy to go along with that WOF, too. I'm guessing it's just clues and responses with no real game behind it, kinda like the ESPN Did You Know? keychain games that were released a bunch of years ago.

As for the crossword, it's no worse than the Jackpot Yahtzee or Monopoly hand-held slot machine games... :)