Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! question  (Read 2446 times)

Yogi007

Jeopardy! question
« on: February 02, 2005, 10:31:31 PM »
I have a question about the tournament shows.  Has there been a tie at the end of the game?  Obviously, if it was a normal show, the tied people would come back the next day.  I know that I haven't seen every single tournament show, so my mind was wondering about this.   If I am not mistaken, it happened during Super Jeopardy, but hey, I could be wrong.  It won't be the first time.  Thanks.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

zachhoran

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 10:36:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Yogi007\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:31 PM\']I have a question about the tournament shows.  Has there been a tie at the end of the game?  Obviously, if it was a normal show, the tied people would come back the next day.  I know that I haven't seen every single tournament show, so my mind was wondering about this.   If I am not mistaken, it happened during Super Jeopardy, but hey, I could be wrong.  It won't be the first time.  Thanks.
[snapback]74078[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall an end-of-game tie during the Super J! tournament. A three-way zero tie happened in a quarter-final game on the 1989 Seniors Tournament. No one from that game moved to the semis, they then had five wild card spots instead of four. A tie during a 1992 College tourney game was broken with a tie-breaker question. There was a tie at the end of the finals of the 1996 Teen tournament. Both players kept the monies won, but they played a tie-breaker question to decide who would move on to the next TofC.

Yogi007

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:42:07 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:36 PM\'][quote name=\'Yogi007\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:31 PM\']I have a question about the tournament shows.  Has there been a tie at the end of the game?  Obviously, if it was a normal show, the tied people would come back the next day.  I know that I haven't seen every single tournament show, so my mind was wondering about this.   If I am not mistaken, it happened during Super Jeopardy, but hey, I could be wrong.  It won't be the first time.  Thanks.
[/quote]

I don't recall an end-of-game tie during the Super J! tournament. A three-way zero tie happened in a quarter-final game on the 1989 Seniors Tournament. No one from that game moved to the semis, they then had five wild card spots instead of four. A tie during a 1992 College tourney game was broken with a tie-breaker question. There was a tie at the end of the finals of the 1996 Teen tournament. Both players kept the monies won, but they played a tie-breaker question to decide who would move on to the next TofC.
[snapback]74081[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks Zach. I knew I could count on you for the answer.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

starcade

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 09:01:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Yogi007\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:31 PM\']I have a question about the tournament shows.  Has there been a tie at the end of the game?  Obviously, if it was a normal show, the tied people would come back the next day.  I know that I haven't seen every single tournament show, so my mind was wondering about this.   If I am not mistaken, it happened during Super Jeopardy, but hey, I could be wrong.  It won't be the first time.  Thanks.
[/quote]

Correct me if I am wrong:

For the single-game rounds, I remember hearing they go back to the scores at the end of Double Jeopardy (and then even back to the end of the first round if those are tied?), with a full tie leaving them to do a playoff question for the automatic spot.  They'd probably also do this for the last wildcard or something.

Robert Hutchinson

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 07:11:06 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 09:01 PM\']Correct me if I am wrong:

For the single-game rounds, I remember hearing they go back to the scores at the end of Double Jeopardy (and then even back to the end of the first round if those are tied?), with a full tie leaving them to do a playoff question for the automatic spot.  They'd probably also do this for the last wildcard or something.[/quote]

I believe that's what they do only for the wildcards. I certainly can't recall any 1st-place ties being broken by Alex quoting the rulebook. But then, I used to think that the contestants would both automatically advance, and that certainly wasn't the case.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin