Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two Home Game Questions  (Read 4284 times)

alfonzos

Two Home Game Questions
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »
1. Is Picture This by Standard Toycraft the only home game based on a summer replacement series?

2. Simon Says by Cardinal claims to be based on a television show. Is this true? Was there a show with such a title or is this a merchanse related to Wonderama? BTW, Sonny Fox is pictured on the box lid.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 04:26:08 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 04:11 PM\']1. Is Picture This by Standard Toycraft the only home game based on a summer replacement series?

[snapback]74014[/snapback]
[/quote]

No.  WWTBAM also has a home game.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »
As did Super Jeopardy; albeit only in digital formats.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:28:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 07:24 PM\']As did Super Jeopardy; albeit only in digital formats.
[snapback]74058[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oof. Can we just skip over that one? I wanna forget I spent the $30. Especially because $30 then was a lot more to me than $30 is now. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 10:36:23 PM »
If you mean a summer replacement show that appeared then went away forever, it looks like yes so far. Shows with box games that started out as or were frequent summer time-fillers with occasional graduations to fall runs would include (along with WWTBAM) the original $64,000 Question, Masquerade Party, and Pantomime Quiz/Stump The Stars. Alumni Fun seemed to pop up in January and end just before summer. But it looks like Picture This is the true one-summer-wonder board game.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 10:39:51 PM by The Ol' Guy »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 10:52:41 PM »
Ol Guy, are we considering "Super Jeopardy" summer replacement even though it was a tourney of a show that's still running? I felt it made the criteria, but I'm not big on how SJ was programmed.

Oof. Can we just skip over that one? I wanna forget I spent the $30.

Did you get the NES game or the PC version?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

The Ol' Guy

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:09:05 PM »
I don't have a problem with it, myself. Hope the exclusion wasn't considered a knock. Not being into electronics/pc, I wasn't aware of a Super Jeopardy game. I was just sticking with old-fashioned box games. Matt probably can contribute more on that. Some might argue - and I could lean that way - that a pre-existing hit show (especially daytime) brought in to fill some summer night hours might not qualify because they didn't start as an original replacement show. Those would make a list as long as your arm..and I was just waiting for a couple of people to bring that up. I think most of us would know who would say, "Hey, Password was a replacement during the summer! And so was You Don't Say and Let's Make A Deal!" Super Jeopardy was a slight variation instead of just dragging the original game to night time - so I could see where it might fit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:19:59 PM by The Ol' Guy »

sshuffield70

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »
I'm guessing for the purposes of the question that "Monopoly" isn't being considered.

The Ol' Guy

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 06:18:42 AM »
Right, because based on the question, there was not a specific box game released using the show's format. There was a specific TV Scrabble made, but the standard Balderdash would not count.

(Jeez..I lived to 400 posts. Shows what the docs know...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 06:22:15 AM by The Ol' Guy »

zachhoran

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 07:44:08 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 06:18 AM\']Right, because based on the question, there was not a specific box game released using the show's format. There was a specific TV Scrabble made, but the standard Balderdash would not count.

(Jeez..I lived to 400 posts. Shows what the docs know...)
[snapback]74130[/snapback]
[/quote]

Parker Brothers made a Trivial Pursuit: Game Show edition when the FAM show was on the air in 1993 or 1994. The pic on the box is obviously from a pilot with a cash maingame format.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 07:44 AM\']blahblahblah
[/quote]
And had you read the OP's question, you would see we're talking about summer replacement series.
Of course, you used this as yet another chance to spout off more useless knowledge.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 10:10:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 09:54 AM\']And had you read the OP's question, you would see we're talking about summer replacement series.
Of course, you used this as yet another chance to spout off more useless knowledge.[/quote]
But to Zach's credit, Trivial Pursuit did debut in Summer 1993.

alfonzos

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 04:04:19 PM »
Thank you. Each of you has answered by first question adequately even though it was poorly worded. Any thoughts on Simon Says?

Simon Says, "Answer, please."

BTW, I have both the NES and PC versions of Super Jeopardy! The NES version is kind of pointless because the game was made for up to four players and the NES can only support two.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Robert Hutchinson

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 04:06:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 09:54 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 3 2005, 07:44 AM\']blahblahblah
[/quote]
And had you read the OP's question, you would see we're talking about summer replacement series.[/quote]

And had you read The Ol' Guy's post (sorry if he prefers an actual name), you would see that Scrabble and Balderdash, two game shows which were not summer replacements, but which were games based on boxed games, were mentioned. My God, the topic shifted!

Zach often annoys me as much as the next guy, but this is not the first time recently that he's been criticized for offering perfectly innocent, relevant information. (On one of the occasions, he made a post I probably would've made if he hadn't, and got raked over the coals when I very much doubt I would have been.) Although I doubt he's any less than 99% convinced of it, if you're trying to completely convince Zach that all attention is good attention, this seems to be the way to do it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

The Ol' Guy

Two Home Game Questions
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 06:44:07 PM »
If I may, Robert - the reference to the other games was not meant to divert from the topic, only explain the difference between standard board games and tv format versions spun from them, as some of our friends had some honest questions as to what qualified, such as Monopoly. The connection is a stretch, but not totally off the original question. I just want to make sure I understand your post. Zach's addition of Trivial Pursuit was correct in that is was a modified tv version of a board game, but not on topic in that Trivial Pursuit and the other FAM games were not necessarily summer replacements, a radio and tv tradition going well into the 1960s, but new shows launched in the summer. The shows lasted past September and the shows they took the place of didn't return in the same slots later.  Many of our members are too young to remember that certain superstars like Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Perry Como and others in the pre-rerun days were allowed to take the summer off, and cheaper replacement programs took their place until the stars returned in September or October. And a lot were game shows like Picture This. That's what set some people off on Zach. All this isn't meant to be life and death ..it's just sharing some thoughts and opinions.
Rog
(but I prefer Ol' Guy..it's more fun)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 06:50:26 PM by The Ol' Guy »