Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Tribute to Johnny  (Read 6916 times)

uncamark

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 07:13:35 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 03:42 AM\'][quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 12:05 AM\']Carson Productions has the rights to all of the "Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" reruns, not NBC.  I heard elsewhere that NBC did contact them about running some old shows this week, but were quickly turned down.
[snapback]73187[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, they're making too much money on those box sets.
[snapback]73204[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Carson made it clear that he did not want to be overexposed.

Meanwhile, one of the "Tonight Show" box sets is number 1 at Amazon.com right now.

Sonic Whammy

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
I can vouch for the box sets. I got the original VHS set back in 94 when they first came out. And in spite of it all, I still want to see the next to last show in full, as Bette Midler does a very silly jingle in tribute to Johnny before she does all the serious stuff we've seen in all the other retrospectives.

And to reply to what someone else was commenting on, I did not mind at all that PYL was being pre-empted. Believe me, when it's someone like Johnny, how can you complain?

Granted, I AM a little miffed in finding that GSN decided to just SKIP that regularly scheduled ep of PYL that would have shown yesterday rather than hold it over to today. It's a very paltry miff, one that's easily gotten over, but a miff nonetheless.

Ah, whaddya do, right?
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

roadgeek

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 03:35 PM\']And to reply to what someone else was commenting on, I did not mind at all that PYL was being pre-empted. Believe me, when it's someone like Johnny, how can you complain?

Granted, I AM a little miffed in finding that GSN decided to just SKIP that regularly scheduled ep of PYL that would have shown yesterday rather than hold it over to today. It's a very paltry miff, one that's easily gotten over, but a miff nonetheless.

Ah, whaddya do, right?
[snapback]73600[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed on all counts.  Didn't have the time to see the marathon while it aired, so we popped in a tape and let it run all 6 hours... watched about 2 hours of it later and am now ashamed that I haven't been paying more attention to B&W!  I like the "ordinary people" aspect of TTTT and WML (haven't seen the rest of the tape yet) without the meanness and bitterness that causes me to avoid ... other shows.  ;-)

I also wish GSN would have delayed PYL's schedule by a day, like they've done with other marathons (Valentine's Day Love Connection comes to mind).  You're right, though; it's only a show.

OT Compliment for GSN: I actually like how they "interrupt" the fee plugs for full-blown commercials.  GSN gets their ad revenue, and they don't have to significantly speed-up the show, or edit when coming in to the show and going out to commercial.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2005, 04:32:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 02:35 PM\']I can vouch for the box sets. I got the original VHS set back in 94 when they first came out. And in spite of it all, I still want to see the next to last show in full, as Bette Midler does a very silly jingle in tribute to Johnny before she does all the serious stuff we've seen in all the other retrospectives.
[/quote]
It is a wonderful episode (Robin Williams was stellar that night as well).  Actually, what Midler was doing was a remake of the song, "You Made Me Love You" (the same song Judy Garland sang as she was writing a letter to Clark Gable in the film Broadway Melody of 1938).

I don't have the Carson set, but to get on my soapbox for a moment--I'm disappointed that the www.johnnycarson.com people have removed individual episodes (with a few exceptions) from sale (used to be that if you wanted to see David Letterman's first appearance, as an example, they'd find the episode for you and if possible convert it to VHS [some episodes may not have held up in storage]--yes, it cost about $100 to do [less if you wanted more than one ep], but it would've been a kick to have a copy of that or any other episode that you found particularly memorable).  Unless they're still doing it and not publicizing it (which I would doubt).

End of soapbox.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1000 continues
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:36:01 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

The Pyramids

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2005, 05:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 04:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 02:35 PM\']I can vouch for the box sets. I got the original VHS set back in 94 when they first came out. And in spite of it all, I still want to see the next to last show in full, as Bette Midler does a very silly jingle in tribute to Johnny before she does all the serious stuff we've seen in all the other retrospectives.
[/quote]
It is a wonderful episode (Robin Williams was stellar that night as well).  Actually, what Midler was doing was a remake of the song, "You Made Me Love You" (the same song Judy Garland sang as she was writing a letter to Clark Gable in the film Broadway Melody of 1938).

I don't have the Carson set, but to get on my soapbox for a moment--I'm disappointed that the www.johnnycarson.com people have removed individual episodes (with a few exceptions) from sale (used to be that if you wanted to see David Letterman's first appearance, as an example, they'd find the episode for you and if possible convert it to VHS [some episodes may not have held up in storage]--yes, it cost about $100 to do [less if you wanted more than one ep], but it would've been a kick to have a copy of that or any other episode that you found particularly memorable).  Unless they're still doing it and not publicizing it (which I would doubt).

End of soapbox.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1000 continues
[snapback]73604[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wish I had known about that. A year from know, even six months, traffic on the site will subside and maybe I can inquire about such a thing.

Jay Temple

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 12:50:17 AM »
I'm a little disappointed that they led off with a TTTT where he has to disqualify himself, on the first contestant no less!  Even so, this was great!

Are there no eps of "Who Do You Trust" available, or does GSN just not have the rights to them?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 12:50 AM\']I'm a little disappointed that they led off with a TTTT where he has to disqualify himself, on the first contestant no less!  Even so, this was great!

Are there no eps of "Who Do You Trust" available, or does GSN just not have the rights to them?
[snapback]73637[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ms. Rudolph had a bit of notoriety at the time(wasn't that show from just after the 1960 SUmmer Olympics?), so it's understandable someone would recognize her.

Who Do you Trust isn't associated with GT or any of the other packagers whose game shows Sony owns, so they wouldn't have the rights to air it. Who Do You Trust is owned by Don Fedderson Productions, and a few years ago a revival was briefly considered. There's at least one ep of WDYT on the trading circuit IIRC.

Sonic Whammy

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 12:09:27 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 08:58 AM\']Who Do you Trust isn't associated with GT or any of the other packagers whose game shows Sony owns, so they wouldn't have the rights to air it. Who Do You Trust is owned by Don Fedderson Productions, and a few years ago a revival was briefly considered. There's at least one ep of WDYT on the trading circuit IIRC.
[snapback]73645[/snapback]
[/quote]

All of that would be true. And I do in fact have an episode from when it was still called "Do You Trust Your Wife?"

Either way, I thought that there was more than one out there. *shrug* Oh well, maybe not. We'll just have to dig around, we always manage to unearth something new around here.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

zachhoran

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 09:07:34 AM »
The last civilian contestant on one of the WML episodes of the Carson tribute and the first contestant on the next WML episode were both NYC racetrack buglers.