Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Tribute to Johnny  (Read 6917 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN Tribute to Johnny
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:43:14 PM »
Details here:
http://www.gsn.com/buzz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75749

Some people will be relieved that they are airing this during daytime hours.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
Kinda ironic that they would give the "King Of Late Night" a daytime marathon. But it's a nice tribute regardless.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MyCapableAssistant

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 03:55:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 01:21 PM\']Kinda ironic that they would give the "King Of Late Night" a daytime marathon. But it's a nice tribute regardless.
[snapback]73039[/snapback]
[/quote]
That does seem strange. I guess they had a lot more eps to air than a normal tribute and figured they wouldn't have time for them on the night-time line up. Heaven forbid, we lose or precious infomercials!!

xibit777

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »
Or heaven forbid they replace the crap that is on weekdays like Star Search, Love Connection, Newleywed Game.

I would rather see a normal weekend morning lineup than B&W.   But I would by far rather see this lineup on a weekday morning, or overnight on a weekend / weekday.  Oh well.....

uncamark

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 04:47:24 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 04:19 PM\']Or heaven forbid they replace the crap that is on weekdays like Star Search, Love Connection, Newleywed Game.

I would rather see a normal weekend morning lineup than B&W.   But I would by far rather see this lineup on a weekday morning, or overnight on a weekend / weekday.  Oh well.....
[snapback]73057[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not complaining here--it's better for me when it's on when I'm not at work or sleeping (or trying to sleep, but that's another story).

Of course, they are pre-empting "CS," "PYL" and "Blockbusters," but hopefully the "PYL" addicts will forgive and forget.  They could've done the "All-New 3s a Crowd" marathon instead (with all due respect to Mr. West).  :)

melman1

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 05:45:57 PM »
I take it that GSN never set up an "announcements" board or a mailing list, preferring to make announcements like this through Missy Moderator instead.

And I see that the quality of the discussion is just as putrid as it ever was.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

CarShark

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 06:04:37 PM »
Very nice tribute. I like that GSN takes time out whenever to show these people in action. Especially since it's something that they can't plan.

The Pyramids

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
Thanks GSN, big time

xibit777

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »
It does make you wonder if they can put together a tribute as good as this, this quickly, why can't they do something original in regards to their normal programming?   Remember when Weakest Link was on for like 3 hours in a row.  Then Blackjack was on for 3 hours in a row....   And there was nothing but a 10 sec clip to celebrate their 10th anniversary.

jdhernandez

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:33:29 PM »
Very nice lineup going on here! I'm especially glad we get to see some great Password action with Allen, again. This episode also rings a bell with me since Carson had one of his classic moments during one of the Lightning Rounds. =)

So, thanks, GSn!

-Jason DH

PS: ...and yea, we all know I'm the biggest "T-word" person/addict here, but this is the great comedic legend, who was one-of-a-kind, and I don't mind PYL being preempted. I just somehow wish the marathon would go on longer, because to me, a tribute to Johnny Carson requires at least one full day. :-)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

The Pyramids

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 09:33:33 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM\']Very nice lineup going on here! I'm especially glad we get to see some great Password action with Allen, again. This episode also rings a bell with me since Carson had one of his classic moments during one of the Lightning Rounds. =)

So, thanks, GSn!

-Jason DH

PS: ...and yea, we all know I'm the biggest "T-word" person/addict here, but this is the great comedic legend, who was one-of-a-kind, and I don't mind PYL being preempted. I just somehow wish the marathon would go on longer, because to me, a tribute to Johnny Carson requires at least one full day. :-)
[snapback]73130[/snapback]
[/quote]

It may that GSN is already showing all it has.

A true marathon, of course, would be of some outlet was able to air non-stop reruns of 'The Tonight Show' itself for a day.

Matt Ottinger

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 10:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:33 PM\'][quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM\']PS: ...and yea, we all know I'm the biggest "T-word" person/addict here, but this is the great comedic legend, who was one-of-a-kind, and I don't mind PYL being preempted. I just somehow wish the marathon would go on longer, because to me, a tribute to Johnny Carson requires at least one full day. :-)[/quote]
It may that GSN is already showing all it has.

A true marathon, of course, would be of some outlet was able to air non-stop reruns of 'The Tonight Show' itself for a day.[/quote]
Theoretically, there are quite a few more they could show if they wanted.  He was on more than a dozen TTTT that they've shown in the past, and at least one or two more of WML? and IGAS than they're showing this time.  Still, considering how B&W has been banished, six hours in the daylight seems pretty good.

As for your Tonight Show comment, I believe it was Carl Reiner during one of the endless tributes on the cable channels who said that somebody ought to run the old shows again, just as they were.  He was actually quite practical about it, saying run them at one in the morning if you have to, but make them available for people to catch.  With NBC in possession of a huge chunk of them, and a bunch of cable channels to program, why the hell not?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 10:48:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:30 PM\']With NBC in possession of a huge chunk of them, and a bunch of cable channels to program, why the hell not?
[snapback]73162[/snapback]
[/quote]
It would beat the hell out of rerunning Jay and Conan at four in the morning...but I think NBC's afraid that Johnny would get better ratings. That wouldn't look good.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 12:05:17 AM »
Carson Productions has the rights to all of the "Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" reruns, not NBC.  I heard elsewhere that NBC did contact them about running some old shows this week, but were quickly turned down.
trainman is a man of trains

ilb4ever2000

GSN Tribute to Johnny
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 03:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 12:05 AM\']Carson Productions has the rights to all of the "Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" reruns, not NBC.  I heard elsewhere that NBC did contact them about running some old shows this week, but were quickly turned down.
[snapback]73187[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, they're making too much money on those box sets.