Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wheel E! True Hollywood Story  (Read 17888 times)

zachhoran

The Wheel E! True Hollywood Story
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 11:31:26 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:17 AM\']
Thank you, Zach, for paraphrasing what I just said to make it sound like an answer. It must be wonderful to love hearing yourself talk. My question was why these shows didn't get the chance to say goodbye?
My theory on PYL was that CBS decided to air reruns on the show during the summer of '86 with (at least) one month of shows in the can so they could figure out what to do with the slot. When they decided to cancel it and end programming the 4pm time period altogether, they decided to air the last month of shows, but the set was probably already struck by then, so no "official" last show.

Tyshaun
[snapback]73670[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the case of MG7x on CBS, I think the answer to "Why the show didn't get a chance to say goodbye?" was the show was cancelled before they got a chance to show some three weeks of episodes taped for CBS. The goodbye wasn't for long, as the show did move to five-a-week syndication come September.

tyshaun1

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 11:38:42 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:28 AM\']Recall that while the first-run syndication deal didn't materialize, Republic Pictures did syndicate a 130-episode rerun package, which aired in syndication in some cities including Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, PA, between December 1986-September 1987. The first batch of shows USA rerun came from the Republic Picutres package, including promos for upcoming PYL shows and new Whammy cartoons which were seen in place of the ticket or contestant plug.
[snapback]73673[/snapback]
[/quote]

And apparently the reason that took place was that Carruthers wanted to test the waters for the viability of PYL in syndication. And when PYL was on USA, he tried to revive the show at least twice, coming closest in 1995, when a stroke derailed all plans and led to him selling his company to Grundy/Pearson, who held the worldwide rights to the format.

Tyshaun

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 05:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:09 AM\']
There may not have been an official goodbye on the Rolf finale, but sharp-eyed viewers might've noticed a longer than usual credit roll (including camera operators, which NBC almost never credited on its daytime games). From 1984 (GO!) to 1990 (SCRABBLE), most NBC daytime game exits included extra credits.

What surprises me is that there are some shows where they didn't do a full credit roll on the final show - "Family Feud" is one that comes to mind - and I know I've seen others.  Maybe they figured Richard's goodbye speech would take too much time and decided to run the credits on an earlier show that week(?)

[snapback]73669[/snapback]
[/quote]

Maybe it was just something that wasn't done at ABC--since the credit crawl was on Chyron at that point, it could've been something that could easily have been done, compared with making a graphic strip for one use.

TimK2003

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
I Finally got around to seeing WoFTHS last night.  At first when I saw Susan Stafford being interviewed, I thought they were interviewing Christina Ferrare.  

It was nice to see most of the key players of Wheel from over the years, though. And I for one am glad that they revamped the THS show graphics and montages.

ChuckNet

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »
Didn't Bill Rafferty's "Card Sharks" have a goodbye? (I've never seen it, but online trade lists indicate that they knew it was the last show). In the "old days" when shows were bicycled, it's understandable why most shows wouldn't get a goodbye. Since shows have been fed via satellite for almost two decades now, it's much more common on syndicated shows.

Yeah, Bill said during the final segment that it was the last show of the season, and how there'd be a full credit roll to give viewers a chance to see all the people responsible for putting CS together (which was odd, since they just ran a short credit roll that day w/no production credits).

And interestingly enough, there was no official goodbye on Kennedy's TPiR just a season earlier, although the models did come out to the audience during the credits (it ended w/a double overbid, so Tom did the usual "audience greet" that occurs in that situation) and kiss/hug Tom, prolly their way of saying goodbye.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2005, 07:39:23 AM »
On Rolf's last WOF, Vanna advised Rolf to "wear your sunscreen" which roughly translated means "Have a nice life."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.