Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wheel E! True Hollywood Story  (Read 17898 times)

14gameshows

The Wheel E! True Hollywood Story
« on: January 25, 2005, 12:32:42 PM »
Ok, I have a few questions about this.  From my understanding, Wheel was not the anchor of the NBC Daytime lineup or was it?  

Also I didn't recall Wheel being the no.1 show amongst gameshows/daytime tv period?

So is that man still under the wheel controlling when the wheel would stop?  (I always knew that Wheel was a fishy show)

If Wheel debuted in 76, and the Erasure of NBC happened in 78 with prior shows and years gone because of that, wouldn't shows after 78 survived?  (Case in point, where is Goodson-Todman's Mindreaders at anyways?)

Could the fact that the "missing episodes" of the Woolery/Stafford era be because of the contract dispute with Griffin?  Is the man that mean, spiteful, and hateful?

When did the shopping era come to a close?

Why in the world did Wheel become so darn cheap when CBS picked it up?  Press Your Luck had a bigger budget than that!

Who do you believe, Chuck or Merv about the contract dispute?

---and for the 25 point boner, (audience laughter SFX) I mean bonus question, do you think Chuck could do the job again, if given the opportunity?

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:56:37 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 12:32 PM\']Ok, I have a few questions about this.  From my understanding, Wheel was not the anchor of the NBC Daytime lineup or was it? 

Also I didn't recall Wheel being the no.1 show amongst gameshows/daytime tv period?

So is that man still under the wheel controlling when the wheel would stop?  (I always knew that Wheel was a fishy show)

If Wheel debuted in 76, and the Erasure of NBC happened in 78 with prior shows and years gone because of that, wouldn't shows after 78 survived?  (Case in point, where is Goodson-Todman's Mindreaders at anyways?)

Could the fact that the "missing episodes" of the Woolery/Stafford era be because of the contract dispute with Griffin?  Is the man that mean, spiteful, and hateful?

Why in the world did Wheel become so darn cheap when CBS picked it up?  Press Your Luck had a bigger budget than that!

---and for the 25 point boner, (audience laughter SFX) I mean bonus question, do you think Chuck could do the job again, if given the opportunity?
[snapback]72996[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thinK hollywood squares was a "bigger" anchor. But it always seemed to me that the shows supplemented each other.

Reference please?

Probably not. And NO game show is rigged. Get that through your head.

That's a theory that may be true...but we don;t know. And wheel premiered in 75, not 76.

NO. That doesn't even make sense.

1987 syndicated, 1989 daytime.

The budget had been steadily cut from Pat leaving. (102K on Pat's last show, 77K on Rolf's first, 40K on Goen's first) To keep in tandem with the nighttime show, they switched to all cash...but with a smaller budget, they made the prizes smaller. Its akin to TPIR's daytime and nighttime budgets.

Neither. They're both lying. :-)

Maybe, but now that pat has hosted for 3 times as long as he did, it wouldn't make much sense to bring him back.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 12:57:18 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 01:19:04 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:32 AM\']Ok, I have a few questions about this.  From my understanding, Wheel was not the anchor of the NBC Daytime lineup or was it? 

So is that man still under the wheel controlling when the wheel would stop?  (I always knew that Wheel was a fishy show)

If Wheel debuted in 76, and the Erasure of NBC happened in 78 with prior shows and years gone because of that, wouldn't shows after 78 survived?  (Case in point, where is Goodson-Todman's Mindreaders at anyways?)

Could the fact that the "missing episodes" of the Woolery/Stafford era be because of the contract dispute with Griffin?  Is the man that mean, spiteful, and hateful?

Why in the world did Wheel become so darn cheap when CBS picked it up?  Press Your Luck had a bigger budget than that!

[/quote]
In no particular order: yes, no, no, because, 1987, and Cleveland.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 03:05:57 PM »

Based on what Chuck has said about his regretting leaving WOF, I think he would consider it. Merv has nothing to do with Wheel anymore, so that shouldn't be a factor. The only problem is, Wheel has changed since so much since Chuck left. No more shopping, the addition of toss up puzzles, and I think the bonus game was only there towards the end of the run.

I'd love to see Chuck return for an April Fools episode, or if they do retro week again, there would be another opportunity.

On the other hand, Chuck may not want to come back, even for one show, because Wheel has become so much "Pat's show", that he'd just be invading what's become his territory.

Nancy Jones commented on the E! THS that Pat was a little difficult during the time that he had his own talk show, and he seemed bored with Wheel. Does anyone here think that sometimes Pat looks bored with Wheel today?

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 12:56 PM\']Reference please?
[/quote]

It was mentioned in the THS, but that caught me too. Wheel never finished #1 for the season, or at least not in daytime. In the 70s #1 was MG7x up until 77 or 78 or so, FF for a year, and TPiR since then. The highest Wheel ever got was #2, and that was early-80s at least.

It was the #1 game show on NBC for several years, but that's about it. It faced TPiR throughout the 80s, so it obviously wasn't winning its time slot.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 03:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 03:10 PM\'][quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 12:56 PM\']Reference please?
[/quote]

It was mentioned in the THS, but that caught me too. Wheel never finished #1 for the season, or at least not in daytime. In the 70s #1 was MG7x up until 77 or 78 or so, FF for a year, and TPiR since then. The highest Wheel ever got was #2, and that was early-80s at least.

It was the #1 game show on NBC for several years, but that's about it. It faced TPiR throughout the 80s, so it obviously wasn't winning its time slot.
[snapback]73035[/snapback]
[/quote]

And number 1 overall in daytime for the network--which didn't say much about NBC's record in daytime back then.

The Pyramids

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 06:46:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 03:23 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 03:10 PM\'][quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 12:56 PM\']Reference please?
[/quote]

[snapback]73035[/snapback]
[/quote]

And number 1 overall in daytime for the network--which didn't say much about NBC's record in daytime back then.
[snapback]73040[/snapback]
[/quote]

Exactly. I bet that's the missing context.

Where did all of those Woolery clips come from?

14gameshows

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 10:01:32 PM »
well I didn't want to open Pandora's Box but this is why I was asking about the status of Chuck's episodes, if there were truly erased or are they not being aired.  I contacted the Griffin Group last year about this issue and they told me that I would have to contact Sony as they bought the game show properties of Merv Griffin Enterprises and also they said that Merv never erased any of his projects, so with that in mind, I have to think that they are either somewhere in some studio vault intact (with Griffin knowing where they are) or maybe they are locked up and someone have forgot them.  I'm also going on this theory because Dark Shadows and Hollywood Squares were found in a vault somewhere all intact.  I really dont believe that all the properties that NBC "supposedly" erase are actually gone.  I think that the location of the properties are forgotten due to company take overs, name changes, etcs.  ALSO I must say that those clips shown on the ETHS, were very clear as if they borrowed footage from a master recording.  And even though video tapes were expensive back in the day, if CBS and ABC preserved most of there stuff, NBC could have as well.  Wouldn't legal copyright issues come forward about a third party erasing my work???  Case in point, IIRC look at the Texaco Star Theatre, supposedly those shows were "missing" but a lawsuit brought them up to dry land, ehh?  Think about it.  I would like those in the business to respond to this so I can get another point of view please!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 10:09:02 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:01 PM\']Case in point, IIRC look at the Texaco Star Theatre, supposedly those shows were "missing" but a lawsuit brought them up to dry land, ehh?  Think about it. 
[/quote]
The last person who wove conspiracy theories out of whole cloth, then told us to "think about it", isn't a member here any more.

Just sayin.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:12:55 PM »
Most, if not all, of the Woolery clips I recognized from trips to the Museum of Television and Radio and/or UCLA.  Combined they have about a dozen episodes, so it's not out of the realm they got them from there.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

bellbm

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 11:39:59 PM »
Does anyone think that if Pat wouldn't have left the daytime version it might have survived to this day?

I mean, did the ratings tank so quickly with Rolfe behind the "wheel" that NBC had to pull the plug, or were they in a steady decline.

I just can't believe that the show was #1 at night, and I imagine most of the people who watch at night are around to watch during the day.  Maybe Pat Sajak didn't realize it at the time, but he was already doing "the Pat Sajak Show" before he went to CBS.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 01:32 PM\']So is that man still under the wheel controlling when the wheel would stop?  (I always knew that Wheel was a fishy show)

[/quote]

Note I'm only answering a few of these, because I think everyone else answered them better among those who did.

-You sound like someone who wrote in to the TV section of a paper complaining that Wheel was rigged, and the writer responded with something along the lines of that person needed help. (Saw it on Leno.)

-Doubt it. Jeopardy! 1978 had only one episode exist, I believe (game of the week).

-No- they probably don't exist.

-Uh...your point? By 1989 a lot of shows were cheapened. Think about when PYL aired, and look at it later. Need I remind you what happened on Sale Of The Century? Once the WBMG came in, the prize budget seemed to go down.

-Don't care.

-If you asked me five years ago, I'd say yes. Not nowadays.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 01:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 01:44 PM\']-Doubt it. Jeopardy! 1978 had only one episode exist, I believe (game of the week).
[/quote]
The episode shown on Game of the Week was the 2000th episode from the original run, best as I can remember.
One episode, that I can recall has aired from the second NBC version; that being the finale during the "Y2Play" Marathon.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 01:55:54 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 03:51:08 PM »
You're correct that GSN has aired two episodes of the Fleming version of "Jeopardy" - the 2000th episode, and the last from the '78-79 version.  The first from that version exists among traders, as do a few others from the original '64-75 run.  It is believed that GSN has the entire '78-79 version, but - like many other shorter-run shows - has chosen not to air it, except on special occasions like the former "Game of the Week".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

14gameshows

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 04:30:46 PM »
As far as Wheel being rigged, sorry I made that comment, it was only a joke really!  There is a group called S & P which would have a fit and also NOW, Sony would be under heavy investigation and it would have a domino effect on all of their properties and King World's properties.  Money people!