Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Politics of Game Show Music Collecting  (Read 11532 times)

Skynet74

The Politics of Game Show Music Collecting
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2005, 10:24:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 01:33 AM\']
I'm curious as to what his opinion is. Now he's either going to dodge the question for some odd reason or he's going to answer. Let's see what happens.
Why is my answer so important to you? Are you suggesting that I pilfered music from Goodson-Todman?
[snapback]72911[/snapback]
[/quote]

No I don't think you personally pilfered anything. But it's my theory that you know people who have..... otherwise you wouldn't have such a difficult time answering such an easy question. You are obviously afraid to offend certain people with your answer. Therefore you don't answer at all. You've seen my question. You have acknowleged it. But you are continuing to beat around the bush as if you are OJ on trial. Such a simple question Chris.

How do you feel about employees taking the music home with them and allowing others to access it? Should they be reprimanded in some way?b]

We arn't doing brain surgery here. I'm just asking for your opinion. I don't care if it has relevence or not. Just let us know what it is.

John
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 10:37:06 AM by Skynet74 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2005, 10:37:37 AM »
But it's my theory that you know people who have
I suggest you rethink your theory.

Your question is a straw man and I'm not going to answer it. Furthermore, it's none of your business.

Let it go, John.

Skynet74

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2005, 10:42:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 10:37 AM\']
But it's my theory that you know people who have
I suggest you rethink your theory.

Your question is a straw man and I'm not going to answer it. Furthermore, it's none of your business.

Let it go, John.
[snapback]72959[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah.... I don't need to go into it any further. You've already given us your answer by simply refusing to answer. Feel free to lock the topic.

John

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2005, 10:59:03 AM »
Wrong again, John. The current and former employees of MGP and CBS whom I know are not thieves as you suggest.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 11:27:36 AM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2005, 11:10:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 11:42 AM\']   Yeah.... I don't need to go into it any further. You've already given us your answer by simply refusing to answer. [/quote]
Spoken like a person who CLEARLY doesn't understand the meaning of the simple phrase "Let it go".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:10 AM\'][quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 11:42 AM\']   Yeah.... I don't need to go into it any further. You've already given us your answer by simply refusing to answer. [/quote]
Spoken like a person who CLEARLY doesn't understand the meaning of the simple phrase "Let it go".
[snapback]72970[/snapback]
[/quote]
He should have heeded my advice ;-)

Mr. Bill

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »
As the newest contestant on the block <g>, I have to agree with the "free trade" group.  Matt and I discussed this today and are in full agreement -- according to "fair use" of copyrighted material (whatever material), the receipient of the material has a right to reproduce it for their personal use.  (And that includes anybody who's ever recorded a movie or show from TV for later enjoyment!)

I also happen to be involved in several trading groups who share old-time radio programs, and this topic has rarely ever been brought up because traders know that they aren't doing anything wrong.

The biggest argument in recent times regarding OTR was about a certain company with nothing better to do than employ lawyers to harrass the "little guys" to cease and desist in their "selling".  Sounds familiar, doesn't it?  Bottom line here was that the company, while having the right to market the shows, did NOT have the copyrights and were wrong to try scare tactics.

This whole, blown out of proportion, debate is simply (IMNSHO) an attempt to scare the honest fans out of harmless trading of music cues.  Seems to me, those who squawk the most about this have the most reason to worry -- maybe because they're trying to sell the music illegally.  (Notice I said "Maybe!"  I know of no one involved in actually doing this, and I am not accusing anyone!)

Anyway, the oldtimers who are familiar with Matt's tape from about 10 years ago (that long?!), may remember my "noises" tape that came as part of the package.  All my material was available in public sources, most of it being recorded off the air.  I'm soon going to have the tape ripped to share with all of you who didn't get it the first time.  :)

End of sermon...

Mr. Bill  (Bill Davis)
Lansing, Michigan

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2005, 07:56:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 05:05 PM\']Anyway, the oldtimers who are familiar with Matt's tape from about 10 years ago (that long?!), may remember my "noises" tape that came as part of the package.  All my material was available in public sources, most of it being recorded off the air.  I'm soon going to have the tape ripped to share with all of you who didn't get it the first time.  :)
[/quote]
Matt's tape? I thought that was Robair's? I remember (hell, I still have!) two tapes...one had more-or-less clean themes on it (or as clean as we could get em in those days), and the other was largely opens and closes from various shows, including my precious Password Plus closing theme, recorded off the air. Was the latter your work?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2005, 10:52:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:56 PM\']Matt's tape? I thought that was Robair's? I remember (hell, I still have!) two tapes...one had more-or-less clean themes on it (or as clean as we could get em in those days), and the other was largely opens and closes from various shows, including my precious Password Plus closing theme, recorded off the air. Was the latter your work?[/quote]
Pardon me if my history is off, but here's how I remember things.  

Robair and I each distributed tapes at about the same time.  Robair's was first, and rightly praised for being so.  Mine had a few more themes on it and, given my obsessive-compulsive nature, was more thoroughly documented.  My collection also had a second tape I believe we called "game show noises" that was effectively a montage of beginnings, middles and endings of various shows, taped off the air.  That part came completely from Mr. Bill.  Also, several of the CBS themes on my tape came from an old reel-to-reel tape that Bill provided.  Bill reminded me today that I never gave it back to him, but since we're talking more then a decade ago at this point, I don't have the foggiest notion where I might have put it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2005, 11:10:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:52 PM\']Robair and I each distributed tapes at about the same time.  Robair's was first, and rightly praised for being so.  Mine had a few more themes on it and, given my obsessive-compulsive nature, was more thoroughly documented.  My collection also had a second tape I believe we called "game show noises" that was effectively a montage of beginnings, middles and endings of various shows, taped off the air.  That part came completely from Mr. Bill.  Also, several of the CBS themes on my tape came from an old reel-to-reel tape that Bill provided.  Bill reminded me today that I never gave it back to him, but since we're talking more then a decade ago at this point, I don't have the foggiest notion where I might have put it.
[snapback]73169[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay, I must have your distrubution, then, because I remember the sheaf of documentation / liner notes that accompanied it. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 11:11:22 PM by clemon79 »

Mr. Bill

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2005, 11:06:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 07:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 05:05 PM\']Anyway, the oldtimers who are familiar with Matt's tape from about 10 years ago (that long?!), may remember my "noises" tape that came as part of the package.  All my material was available in public sources, most of it being recorded off the air.  I'm soon going to have the tape ripped to share with all of you who didn't get it the first time.  :)
[/quote]
Matt's tape? I thought that was Robair's? I remember (hell, I still have!) two tapes...one had more-or-less clean themes on it (or as clean as we could get em in those days), and the other was largely opens and closes from various shows, including my precious Password Plus closing theme, recorded off the air. Was the latter your work?
[snapback]73118[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the words of Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"

Mr. Bill

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2005, 12:21:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 09:06 AM\']In the words of Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"
[snapback]73230[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah, excellent. As someone who does not have much of a permanent game show collection (although with the advent of DVD and TivoToGo, I'm thinking about it), that tape is an excellent source of bits and pieces of history. Every couple months I still throw it in and listen to it. Job well done. :)

Mr. Bill

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2005, 12:25:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 12:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 09:06 AM\']In the words of Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"
[snapback]73230[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah, excellent. As someone who does not have much of a permanent game show collection (although with the advent of DVD and TivoToGo, I'm thinking about it), that tape is an excellent source of bits and pieces of history. Every couple months I still throw it in and listen to it. Job well done. :)
[snapback]73242[/snapback]
[/quote]

Another reason for me to get it ripped to MP3 so we can all burn them to CDs and retire those old cassettes!!!  :)

BTW, Chris, there IS more where those came from...  :)

Mr. Bill