Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Politics of Game Show Music Collecting  (Read 11530 times)

TunaHead

The Politics of Game Show Music Collecting
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 07:34:02 AM »
Hell, the politics have always been there, from all around. It has just been so subtle for so long because the same cues have been out there with not much new popping up.

Of course, people come out in mass numbers when it involves Price cues, for which someone described to me as being the holy grail of cues. It is! Most of us would give our left nut to have some of these sacred cues.

There really is no such thing as cue trading. Because those who have the sacred cues usually already have what most of us have, therefore, as was stated before, the rich get richer, and the poor stay poor.

Skynet74

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 09:13:02 AM »
I know the ENTIRE story of how the TPIR cues came onto the trading circuit, I know all the parties involved, and I'm not telling, period. The music was never intended to be traded among collectors. Anyone who has a copy of internal TPIR music should consider himself the beneficiary of circumstance.
[snapback]72622[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well it's obviously just another case of Joe Schmo telling Jim Shmo that he's going to give him some music under the verbal agreement that he not release any of it. Jim Schmo then says OK. Then after Jim Schmo gets the music he tells a couple of friends who have something good that he wants. Jim Schmo then trades the Price cues under the verbal agreement that his friends don't mention a word of it to anybody. They agree because they obviosuly want Jim Schmo's price cues. This same thing continues with new people. Then somewhere down the line someone screws up and says... You know what? Screw the agreement. This stuff is to good to keep to myself. Then BANG.... before you know it Casey Buck is posting the stuff online!

So who is at fault in the above scenario. It's obviously the FIRST guy who released any of it to begin with. If you don't want something to get out... The Bottom Line is "DON'T EVEN TRUST YOUR OWN MOTHER". DON'T MAKE A COPY FOR ANYBODY ...PERIOD!

As much as Chris thinks he knows all the parties involved.... the simple fact is that he Doesn't know ALL the parties involved. He knows them up the chain of command to a certain point. But I doubt that he knows the Man or Lady from Score/Fremantle or Price who is originally to blame for giving someone a copy in the first place. No matter how you look at it, the only person to really blame is someone who IS or WAS employed by a company affiliated with the show. Nothing would have ever got out in the first place if it wasn't for that person. For all we know Stan Blitz is to blame. But this is what happens when my advice is not followed. "DON'T EVEN TRUST YOUR OWN MOTHER". DON'T MAKE A COPY FOR ANYBODY ...PERIOD! Well Guess what??? Someone made that first copy. It came from the show and a representative of the show is also to blame. How fitting. ;-)

John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:14:24 AM by Skynet74 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 09:51:03 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 08:34 AM\']There really is no such thing as cue trading. Because those who have the sacred cues usually already have what most of us have, therefore, as was stated before, the rich get richer, and the poor stay poor.[/quote]
...except that what started this whole discussion was Casey offering up what appear to be some rare cues to anyone who wanted to download them.  And he's not nearly the only one who's done so.  THAT is what has the "rich" collectors going nuts, because the "poor" people are getting stuff for free.  Of course, in the circular logic of traders, that immediately makes those themes less "valuable".

I agree with you that the whole concept of "trading" themes goes out the window this way.  But if "rich" collectors don't want to share what they have, there's not much anyone can do about it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 09:56:30 AM »
Heck, I agree with John. The branches of the "Tree of blame" extend so far out, it becomes a clusterf*ck of accusations, and turns into more hassle than it's worth.

The days of theme trading are done.As of now, I'm in-different as to whether things are put out there for the taking or not. Doesn't really matter to me. But when I started trading, there weren't millions of "Yahoo Theme Groups" out there or sites with Game Show Themes on them. It was easier to make a trade,  and certainly more fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound like an old geezer recalling the "Golden Days", but it's simply impossible for anyone to start "Trading" again...since we basically have two categories...Themes on websites, and themes not on websites...Neither one can be used to attain the other.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 10:09:04 AM by TalkingHeadsFan »

TunaHead

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »
Skynet, is all that snow you gut up there starting to enter your brain? These are CUES, not the master price sheet, or nuclear missle codes... It's not a damn top secret covert operation to where noone is allowed to have them, punishable by death by castration with a cigar cutter. NO! These are frickin CUES!! So what if someone posted it. It happens. I say more power to Casey for doing that.

Big deal. Just about every single game show has had a cue release of some sort or another. Are we going to blame every single producer, every single sound manager for this? Cause from the looks of it, you're complaining about this..

I know. Let's blame everyone with the shows, that way, we'll never hear another cue ever again! Good idea.

TunaHead

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 10:07:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 09:51 AM\']
I agree with you that the whole concept of "trading" themes goes out the window this way.  But if "rich" collectors don't want to share what they have, there's not much anyone can do about it.
[snapback]72663[/snapback]
[/quote]

In a horrible example.. Sun Microsystems vs. Microsoft. Or for that matter, even better yet, The People vs. Microsoft in the anti-trust lawsuit. Microsoft wanted to become richer and richer, and soon, they had a monopoly over everyone. But then, the people saw this and the govt took action. Now, Microsoft isn't as big. They have to share some of their sourcecode and split up their divisions. And now looks. We have new software, new companies, new inventions. The computer realm is 10x better because of it.

In relation, these 2 scenarios are very much alike.

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 10:08:15 AM »
Just to shed some light...

I had a brief conversation with Stan a few years ago about music being released and he didn't seem to know how these cues got out. This was in reference to the cues on Brian's Supersite. It's possible he really did know, but didn't want to say, but I take his word for it.

On a lighter note, he saw a commercial for Grand Theft Auto and was wondering how they got the Price font, but that was readily available.

I get the feeling (and I could be way off base here) that during the Goodson years and  before the internet became so popular, cues might have been released more readily. Let's face it. You would most likely either have it on CD or cassette. And unless every single cue from the show was given out at once, why would you bite the hand that feeds you?

I really wonder how many cues there are. Taking into account splitting 1 song and making 2 cues out of it and all the tapes in the audio closet, I'd guess around 250, maybe more.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 10:11:20 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Skynet74

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 09:51 AM\']I agree with you that the whole concept of "trading" themes goes out the window this way.  But if "rich" collectors don't want to share what they have, there's not much anyone can do about it.
[snapback]72663[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well even the rich traders had to start somewhere. I remember the very first Game Show theme I ever received in the clear. The year was 1984 and I was absolutely estatic when I got home from school, opened my mailbox and saw a padded envelope from Score Productions with a tape labeled "FAMILY FEUD" inside.

We all start from somewhere. The bottom line is that the Rich traders arn't holding onto their collections for just no reason at all. They intend on using this music to get even richer in the future. That's hard to do when everyone already has access to this music anyway. That's why they are getting pissed off.

I used to subscribe to that philosophy... but Now I don't give a F***. If I can get something new I don't care how it reaches me. I'm sick of trading because nobody is trustworthy. I must have released about fifty different themes and cues under the agreement that they not be traded or released. Well guess how many are now available among traders? ALL OF THEM!

So there comes a time when you just say... Screw it. To get something you need to give something. But what happens when you give something that you don't want released..... but it always ends up being released anyway? There is virtually no way out. Theme traders just don't win in the end. So that's why I don't trade themes anymore. Back up your truck to my house and take it all. I don't care anymore. It's ridiculous. I've soured on trading like Gene Wood did on announcing. You just get burned and realize that maybe it's not even worth it.

I don't care how valuable you think your theme collection is. Within two years every single theme you have in your possesion will make it's way online no matter how much you think it won't. So why prolong the pain. let's hear this stuff now.

Video traders have understood this philosophy for years which is why we have seen so much great material. I've yet to hear of a Video Hoarder. If the theme Hoarders operated on the same philosophy, then this Forum would be 100 times more enjoyable. Sharing should be what it's all about.

John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 10:31:07 AM by Skynet74 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2005, 10:44:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 10:30 AM\']Sharing should be what it's all about.
[/quote]
Even if its for profit?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Skynet74

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2005, 10:47:51 AM »
Depends on how bad you need the money ;-)

John

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 11:55:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:47 AM\']Depends on how bad you need the money ;-)
[snapback]72673[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well let me chime in here and say that it should be worth no money at all. As Chris C. stated, the only people that should be making money off of this are the composer and the musicians, per se, per ASCAP and BMI. People selling this stuff on E-Bay and other similar sites have no right to do so, and thus are violating copyright law.

So, no matter how bad you need it, you shouldn't do it... but, nevertheless, it happens anyway, and E-Bay won't step it to stop it anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 11:56:49 AM by NicholasM79 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 11:57:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 07:13 AM\']<More Miss Othmar snipped.>
[/quote]
John, I'm not even gonna bother shredding you for this one. I have a feeling Chris C. is going to do a fine job of it on his own. Unless he chooses not to bother, which I would also understand, considering.

Popcorn, anyone? This might be good.... :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:02:42 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Skynet74

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 11:57 AM\'][quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 07:13 AM\']<More Miss Othmar snipped.>
[/quote]
John, I'm not even gonna bother shredding you for this one. I have a feeling Chris C. is going to do a fine job of it on his own. Unless he chooses not to bother, which I would also understand, considering.

Popcorn, anyone? This might be good.... :)
[snapback]72684[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well.. at least you made me laugh this time. That's pretty good even for you.

John

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 02:54:51 PM »
No need to break out the Jiffy Pop. Mr. Chartier doesn't know whereof he speaks on this subject. He doesn't know what information I have nor my source. That adds up to idle conjecture on his part.

Skynet74

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 24 2005, 02:54 PM\']No need to break out the Jiffy Pop. Mr. Chartier doesn't know whereof he speaks on this subject. He doesn't know what information I have nor my source. That adds up to idle conjecture on his part.
[snapback]72728[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are correct. I don't know all the ugly details. I prefer to be kept out of it. Casey just keep the music flowing. That's all that matters. ;-)

John