Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of TV and Radio  (Read 3933 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« on: July 27, 2003, 01:44:20 PM »
I'm thinking about going there in a few weeks. Any tips/pointers on getting to see the good stuff?

I know I'm definitely gonna check out MG/HS [for nostalgia] The Money Maze, and Magnificent Marble Machine. Does MG/HS count as one or two shows? Just wondering.

Could someone please provide the link to the site? Thanks.

cmjb13

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 01:57:57 PM »
MG/HS counts as 1 show.

The only one I've seen there is one with Nedra Volz

http://www.mtr.org/welcome.htm

As stated before, get there early, at least at the Los Angeles location. They are only open for a few hours, and while there is no admission charge, a donation is recommended.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 01:58:26 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Timsterino

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 03:04:16 PM »
I have been to both the NYC and Beverly Hills locations. As Chris stated, get there early. You want to have the maximum time you can have. If you have a friend with you who likes game shows that is even better because you each get to pick out shows and you can watch them together.

One interesting show for me to see was Regis Philbin as a game show host before Millionaire. He hosted the 1970's game show \"The Neighbors\" and they have an epsiode of that show at the museum.

Have fun!

Tim :-)

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 03:10:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 02:04 PM\'] I have been to both the NYC and Beverly Hills locations. As Chris stated, get there early. You want to have the maximum time you can have. If you have a friend with you who likes game shows that is even better because you each get to pick out shows and you can watch them together.

One interesting show for me to see was Regis Philbin as a game show host before Millionaire. He hosted the 1970's game show \"The Neighbors\" and they have an epsiode of that show at the museum.

Have fun!

Tim :-) [/quote]
Thanks for all the info guys. One more question: I believe there is a limit on how many shows you can watch. Is this correct?

Also, I unfortunately remember \"The Neighbors.\" God, that show sucked more than almost anything Barris made.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 03:17:45 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

cmjb13

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 04:04:56 PM »
You can pick only a specific number of shows (I think it's 3, but could be wrong). You have a certain time to view those shows.

If you want to view more, another donation is recommended (This is how you get your \"ticket\" to choose the shows).  

I totally forgot that I had visited the NYC location last year during lunch.

I picked a TPIR episode with no description. I was disappointed to find out it was a Cullen B&W.

I like the LA location better. Nicer building and better choices.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

dzinkin

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 04:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 02:10 PM\'] Thanks for all the info guys. One more question: I believe there is a limit on how many shows you can watch. Is this correct?
 [/quote]
 At the NYC location, you are allowed to pick four shows -- I believe the West Coast museum has the same limit.

Technically you're only allowed two hours total for viewing, it really depends on how many people are waiting for viewing time and whether or not the person on duty has decided to be hardnosed about it.  I know I chose two-and-a-half hours' worth of shows on the second of my two visits this year, and they actually gave me three hours total \"just in case\" I needed it.  (I didn't, but it was nice of them to do it.)  The system will not stop you from picking four shows that total more than two hours.

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 05:07:45 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 03:04 PM\'] You can pick only a specific number of shows (I think it's 3, but could be wrong). You have a certain time to view those shows.

If you want to view more, another donation is recommended (This is how you get your "ticket" to choose the shows).  
 [/quote]
 Ah....is there a minimum for the donations?

Sorry about all these questions. Just want to get everything straight before I go.

cmjb13

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 05:13:32 PM »
I don't think it's actually required, but in order for you to view shows, a donation is requested.

I usually give $5 or $10 depending on my mood.

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2003, 06:01:43 PM »
Does anyone know some of the stuff that's not available at the NYC location? I assume they have the NY produced shows [ie: ABC Pyramid, Money Maze]

EDIT: After doing some Google work, all I can say is: I am DEFINITELY checking out the Cross-Wits ep.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 06:14:19 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

combsisthebest

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 06:20:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 02:01 PM\'] Does anyone know some of the stuff that's not available at the NYC location? I assume they have the NY produced shows [ie: ABC Pyramid, Money Maze]

EDIT: After doing some Google work, all I can say is: I am DEFINITELY checking out the Cross-Wits ep. [/quote]
 Would you be able to view your own appearence on MG/HS hour, or does it even exist?

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 06:23:54 PM »
[quote name=\'combsisthebest\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 05:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 02:01 PM\'] Does anyone know some of the stuff that's not available at the NYC location? I assume they have the NY produced shows [ie: ABC Pyramid, Money Maze]

EDIT: After doing some Google work, all I can say is: I am DEFINITELY checking out the Cross-Wits ep. [/quote]
Would you be able to view your own appearence on MG/HS hour, or does it even exist? [/quote]
 Do they have it? AFAIK, the only ep they have is the aforementioned one with Nedra Volz.

dzinkin

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 06:28:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 05:01 PM\'] Does anyone know some of the stuff that's not available at the NYC location? I assume they have the NY produced shows [ie: ABC Pyramid, Money Maze]

The collection is the same at both, but a few of the \"archive\" shows may be available for viewing at only one or the other.  \"Archive\" shows are only available if someone's requested that they be transferred to a viewable format -- and as you might expect, there are different requests at each location.

Jason Hernandez has an excellent list here (full disclosure: I contributed a number of entries)...

http://members.fortunecity.com/jd83/mtr.html

While it focuses on the Beverly Hills museum, most of the shows are available at the NYC branch as well.  The only show I wanted to see that was listed as \"unavailable\" on my last visit to NYC was the '69 color Match Game.

- David

PeterMarshallFan

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2003, 06:37:09 PM »
That was the list I was looking for. While I am slightly disappointed that Cross-Wits is listed as archived, there's still plenty of stuff.

Thanks!

dzinkin

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2003, 06:42:23 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 05:37 PM\'] That was the list I was looking for. While I am slightly disappointed that Cross-Wits is listed as archived, there's still plenty of stuff.

Thanks! [/quote]
 You're welcome.  BTW, the fact that a show is archived doesn't mean it's not viewable -- I've seen Cross-Wits in NYC, in fact.  The first time I tried, I was told that someone else had already reserved it, but a couple of years ago, I tried again and got to see it.

Many of the archived shows are in fact viewable, but you can't mix-and-match shows from the archives and the main collection... so you'll have to decide which group has more shows that interest you.

- David

trainman

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2003, 11:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 01:39 PM\'] At the NYC location, you are allowed to pick four shows -- I believe the West Coast museum has the same limit.  Technically you're only allowed two hours total for viewing, it really depends on how many people are waiting for viewing time and whether or not the person on duty has decided to be hardnosed about it. [/quote]
 One of the benefits if you're a member is extended time at the viewing consoles...today, they gave me three and a half hours to watch four half-hour shows.  I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is, since you can still only pick up to four shows at a time.  Probably the bigger advantage is not getting hit up for the \"suggested donation\" at the front desk.
trainman is a man of trains