Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century  (Read 12418 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 06:08:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 11:37 AM\']I'd like to see it come back.  I think a network berth would be best (say 12:30pm on NBC) and possibly a four or five week primetime show to get the ball rolling.  Shopping format. Maybe get Ken Jennings to host the primetime show for publicity's sake?  Daytime host: Jim Perry, Matt Ottinger or me.
[snapback]72110[/snapback]
[/quote]
Or ME. ;D  (after all, I did host it at the GSC 2004, and will again this year)

Seriously, if there's any show in the Fremantle library that is truly capable of smash-hit success, it's the Sale.  I for one can think of a thousand ways (okay, maybe that's an exaggeration) this show can tap into the younger audience without messing with the game mechanics.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

ChuckNet

$ale of the Century
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 10:37:46 PM »
You know, a two-man crew, expanding the co-host role to more equal footing, might not be a bad idea at all.

They actually did that for a wk in 1984...during one of Lee Menning's frequent maternity leaves, Jay Stewart was given a temporary "promotion" to on-camera sidekick in addition to his announcing duties.

But I digress...I think $otC could work today, maybe as a companion show to Karn FF, just keep it as true to the 80s version as possible. Sure, you'll prolly need to update the set, music, etc, but leave intact the scoring system, the Instant Bargains, the Fame Game, and the original "shopping" endgame, and you've got yourself a winner.

For a host, I'd suggest either Jim Peck or Peter Tomarken, though I dunno if either would be appealing to those "younger-skewing" Fremantle execs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 02:27:39 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 10:37 PM\']But I digress...I think $otC could work today, maybe as a companion show to Karn FF[/quote]
You really think they would retain the audience of one another? They're two completely different animals.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

$ale of the Century
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 04:41:12 AM »
That's true.  I'd rather pair it with syndie Millionaire since both shows are basic Q&A with plenty of suapense involved($ale that is).

uncamark

$ale of the Century
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 03:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 10:37 PM\']
You know, a two-man crew, expanding the co-host role to more equal footing, might not be a bad idea at all.

They actually did that for a wk in 1984...during one of Lee Menning's frequent maternity leaves, Jay Stewart was given a temporary "promotion" to on-camera sidekick in addition to his announcing duties.

But I digress...I think $otC could work today, maybe as a companion show to Karn FF, just keep it as true to the 80s version as possible. Sure, you'll prolly need to update the set, music, etc, but leave intact the scoring system, the Instant Bargains, the Fame Game, and the original "shopping" endgame, and you've got yourself a winner.

For a host, I'd suggest either Jim Peck or Peter Tomarken, though I dunno if either would be appealing to those "younger-skewing" Fremantle execs.
[snapback]72188[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think Walberg could handle the show beautifully--and even Newton, if given the proper direction (as if even Gaby Johnston can give Karn the proper direction now).

As for the other comment about "Feud" and "$OTC" being incompatible--well, one could say the same about "Wheel" and "J!", and how many stations run *them* back-to-back?  If Tribune and Fremantle wanted an hour block of game shows, most stations would probably comply, especially since almost everything else in daytime in syndication is an hour in length.

BrandonFG

$ale of the Century
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 03:18:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 04:41 AM\']That's true.  I'd rather pair it with syndie Millionaire since both shows are basic Q&A with plenty of suapense involved($ale that is).
[snapback]72228[/snapback]
[/quote]

But it wouldn't make as much sense, considering Millionaire is Buena Vista and $ale would be Fremantle.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

comicus

$ale of the Century
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 07:10:21 PM »
Sale would work beautifully in syndication as a "big money" quiz.  However, the end game format would need to be tweaked.  The reason the shopping end game was dropped, as is my understanding, was that it couldn't hold people's interest.  The odds were, on any given day, that the champion would leave without any sort of bonus prize.  The Winners Board was implimented to add a guaranteed element of suspense to the end of every episode -- there was always that chance that a car or $10,000 could be won.

The Winners Big Money Game... sucked.  A fine end game, sure... on any other show except Sale.  Never speak of it again in this context.  Junk it.  My idea is this: give the winning player a choice to either spend their winnings on a pre-selected bonus prize (something worth between $3,000 and $6,000), or spend it on a chance to unlock a "vault," which contains a jackpot of prizes (say, a luxury car or two, a trip around the world and a cash prize of anywhere between $100,000 and $1,000,000).

The vault bonus format would ideally be some sort of safe-cracker game (think the bonus from "Dream House").  The champion's odds of opening the vault and winning the jackpot would increase depending on the number of games he or she had won.  The value of the prize they were offered in lieu of playing the bonus should also increase.

Mark L. Wahlberg would probably be the ideal host, amongst experienced emcees.  The set, of course, would need a modern update, though the theme song should be kept similar (the theme from the Australian version of the show in the late 90s would be ideal).  Long story short, I would take back nearly every nasty thing I've ever said about Fremantle Media if they revived the show and gave it the proper treatment and respect it deserves.

DrJWJustice

$ale of the Century
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 07:33:37 PM »
I think $otC just might work today, although I'd have to argue that the prizes would have to be bumped in value to stay competitive with the other big money shows out there (and Chris Lemon, I KNOW you're going to argue Mo' Money on that -- I hear you, but I think Mo' Money would pretty much have to be a must on a show that has always prided itself on being one of the richest quizzes on television -- viz, the opening speil of the Australian version).  

I would drop Instant Cash, however, and go with a third Instant Bargain.  For fun, there might be a Cash Bonus question somewhere that would allow the Instant Cash game to be played, however.  That's just a thought, really more of a tweaking, IMO.  I can go either way on shopping or doing the Winner's Board for the end game.  Shoppingl, of course, was very much in line with the show's overall theme, but the Winner's Board had its share of dramatic moments, especially if a big prize like the car or $10,000 was showing and subject to being matched.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$ale of the Century
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 05:33 PM\'](and Chris Lemon, I KNOW you're going to argue Mo' Money on that -- I hear you, but I think Mo' Money would pretty much have to be a must on a show that has always prided itself on being one of the richest quizzes on television -- viz, the opening speil of the Australian version). 
[/quote]
And you might be surprised to find that I don't disagree. Just as long as they didn't go friggin' insane with it, I wouldn't mind seeing a little boost, along the line of a double-up or so. Start the Cash Jackpot at 200K, make the car something SWIZZEET, have something truly major in between the two (how about a house?) and shoot for a Lot in the $500K. That fly with you?
I would drop Instant Cash, however, and go with a third Instant Bargain.
Aw, see, now yer into the green stuff. You GOTTA have the Instant Cash as the last Bargain, and you HAVE to have it at that time. It's the great equalizer, with just enough game left to make the person forfeiting that lead think they can build it back up again before the Speed Round, where anything can happen.

And I have to comment on this host business, too. What has Wahlberg done to prove to anyone that he's capable of following along with the game at this breakneck pace? Look at Glenn Ridge...if you're going to put on the World's Richest Quiz, you need an air of distiction at the helm. That man, simply put, is John O'Hurley. To give the gig to anyone else without at least giving him a chance is a crime.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 08:31:25 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
$ale of the Century
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 09:35:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 08:28 PM\']Look at Glenn Ridge...if you're going to put on the World's Richest Quiz, you need an air of distiction at the helm. That man, simply put, is John O'Hurley. To give the gig to anyone else without at least giving him a chance is a crime.
[snapback]72320[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to mention---
1. Fremantle knows what he's capable of.
2. He has that aura of "class" that a show like SOTC would need.

ChuckNet

$ale of the Century
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »
You really think they would retain the audience of one another? They're two completely different animals.

Yes, but they'd both be Fremantle shows, so it makes sense for the two to run back-to-back, not to mention (as Mark J. pointed out) that J! and WoF have done so successfully for over 20 yrs w/no probs, despite "incompatible" formats.

And I like the idea of O'Hurley as host...if he can handle the fast delivery required, particularly during the Speed Round, he might be the ideal choice.

sshuffield70

$ale of the Century
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 11:46 PM\']

Yes, but they'd both be Fremantle shows, so it makes sense for the two to run back-to-back, not to mention (as Mark J. pointed out) that J! and WoF have done so successfully for over 20 yrs w/no probs, despite "incompatible" formats.

And I like the idea of O'Hurley as host...if he can handle the fast delivery required, particularly during the Speed Round, he might be the ideal choice.

[snapback]72350[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall the "Celebrity Spelling Bee" going quickly.

DrJWJustice

$ale of the Century
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005, 12:41:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 08:28 PM\']And you might be surprised to find that I don't disagree. Just as long as they didn't go friggin' insane with it, I wouldn't mind seeing a little boost, along the line of a double-up or so. Start the Cash Jackpot at 200K, make the car something SWIZZEET, have something truly major in between the two (how about a house?) and shoot for a Lot in the $500K. That fly with you? [/quote]

Yes it does fly with me, and I'm kinda surprised here, but not too surprised.  Mo' Money was a part of $otC's theme, after all.  I agree that they shouldn't go bonkers, but I do think a half million jackpot payoff (total prize package here) would be more than reasonable, and it would certainly attract attention.  I hope someone 'in the biz' is reading this and will make an effort to bring back the show.

Aw, see, now yer into the green stuff. You GOTTA have the Instant Cash as the last Bargain, and you HAVE to have it at that time. It's the great equalizer, with just enough game left to make the person forfeiting that lead think they can build it back up again before the Speed Round, where anything can happen.

Actually, I gave this some thought a while after I posted, and I cannot disagree with you.  Just to make it more tempting, à la Greed, I'd start the I.C. pot somewhere in the $10k-25k range (probably toward the bottom end of that).  

And I have to comment on this host business, too. What has Wahlberg done to prove to anyone that he's capable of following along with the game at this breakneck pace? Look at Glenn Ridge...if you're going to put on the World's Richest Quiz, you need an air of distiction at the helm. That man, simply put, is John O'Hurley. To give the gig to anyone else without at least giving him a chance is a crime.
[snapback]72320[/snapback]

O'Hurley would definitely be good, but here are a few other suggestions:  If Dick Clark weren't recouperating from his recent stroke, I'd think he'd have to be considered as well.  Until then, he was nowhere near interested in retiring, and I think that still holds true.  Alex Trebek could also be good at it, but I'd seriously doubt he'd consider it, even if he were to continue to do J! at the same time.  A couple of names to seriously consider -- and these are currently announcers, of course -- but I'd also have to consider Johnny Gilbert or Charlie O'Donnell if I had a voice in choosing the host.  They've already got the voice of authority and the name recognition.  I know Johnny Gilbert does have hosting experience.

Unrealtor

$ale of the Century
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 01:54:09 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 22 2005, 03:32 PM\']I don't recall the "Celebrity Spelling Bee" going quickly.
[snapback]72398[/snapback]
[/quote]

And his being slow on one show prevents him from being fast on another how? After all, Jim Perry did as good a job with Card Sharks (a much slower show) as he did on the original $OTC.

The shopping format works best with the theme of the game, but is only really feasable if you can guarantee somebody will win something there every day, so my solution, as unpopular as it would be here, is to have a one-day limit, with some additional component between the end of the maingame and the shopping to build up the player's bank. One idea that comes to mind is the bog-standard 10 questions in 60 seconds format, at $20 per question. This should also allow the biggest prize(s) to be a little more difficult to reach for all but the best players.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

DrJWJustice

$ale of the Century
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2005, 03:43:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Jan 23 2005, 01:54 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 22 2005, 03:32 PM\']I don't recall the "Celebrity Spelling Bee" going quickly.
[snapback]72398[/snapback]
[/quote]
The shopping format works best with the theme of the game, but is only really feasable if you can guarantee somebody will win something there every day, so my solution, as unpopular as it would be here, is to have a one-day limit, with some additional component between the end of the maingame and the shopping to build up the player's bank. One idea that comes to mind is the bog-standard 10 questions in 60 seconds format, at $20 per question. This should also allow the biggest prize(s) to be a little more difficult to reach for all but the best players.
[snapback]72488[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right, it's not going to be popular, and here's why:  :-)

A one-day rule eliminates part of the suspense that kept people coming back to see if the returning champ could win again, because every time a champ passed up a chance to buy a major prize at the end, s/he risked the chance to buy anything by coming back for another show.  A defeated champ did not get to cash in his/her winnings for a major prize.  The show where Alice Cartwright (sp?) won her first game marked the defeat of a champion going for (IIRC) every prize on the stage.