Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century  (Read 12409 times)

14gameshows

$ale of the Century
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »
Here's a Toss-Up Question worth $50 and control of the board, could $ale of the Century work in today's market?  Would it be best to put it on a network, or syndication and when I mention network, daytime is not the only option.  

Would you make any unneccesary changes to the show?  Me personally, I wouldn't change anything except for the value of the Instant Bargains.  IMO, in today's standards, the IB prizes should range from $500-$2500, kinda like the IUFB prizes on TPIR.

As far as the bonus game is concerned, I would go back to the shopping format with very big prizes like they used back in the day but more upscale like the cars/vehicles used as prizes on Wheel of Fortune.  

Use the updated set from the Aussie version and the second theme used on the show from the 80s and there you go!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:55:04 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 12:41 PM\']  IMO, in today's standards, the IB prizes should range from $500-$2500, kinda like the IUFB prizes on TPIR.
[snapback]72103[/snapback]
[/quote]
I recall very few, if any times, that an instant bargain prize was less than $500 on Sale.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

$ale of the Century
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 12:41 PM\']Here's a Toss-Up Question worth $50 and control of the board, could $ale of the Century work in today's market? 
[snapback]72103[/snapback]
[/quote]
Darned straight it could, mister. It's a compelling and suspenseful show. No need to dumb down the questions seeing how Jeopardy! gets along just fine with the tough stuff. The instant bargains (with the 3rd being the In$tant Ca$h), the fame game and shopping at the end [I could live with the Winners' Board] and find a good emcee (is it safe to presume Jim Perry wouldn't be considered even if he wanted to do it?) and I truly believe it would do well----but the stations must remember that it takes a while to find an audience. It won't happen in eight or thirteen weeks. Many stations got bad ratings from J! at first and check it out now. Had such patience been shown with The Challengers I truly believe we could've gotten five or seven years out of it. Yes, it could work.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
$ale of the Century
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:23:30 PM »
I think it would. However, I think daytime network would probably not be the best option. I imagine it more as a nighttime show.

However, the Winner's Big Money Game should be left out. Put it on a revival of "Password" or some other word game.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 01:24:19 PM by Chief-O »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$ale of the Century
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:27:55 PM »
I love Sale as much as the next guy. That being said, I have to say maybe. There's a lot of shows that you really can't translate too well to modern times. Now, Sale can do that. But with the way every new syndie show since 2000 has performed (all gone within 2 years), you can never tell. It would be a toss-up at best.

It would be fun to try though.

(And I agree that if The Challengers got better backing by its stations, it would have had a longer run. 5-7 years does sound about right.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve McClellan

$ale of the Century
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 01:28:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 10:20 AM\']The instant bargains (with the 3rd being the In$tant Ca$h), the fame game and shopping at the end[/quote]
And while we're at it, why don't we throw in the Winner's BIG Money Game for an extra TWENTY-FIVE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLARS!!! to shop with? :)

and find a good emcee
I hear there's a guy in Michigan who reads questions a couple of times a week and has experience with a rapid-fire sixty seconds to determine the day's winner....

Nah, he probably doesn't like $ale.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 01:29:00 PM by gameshowsteve »

Jimmy Owen

$ale of the Century
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
I'd like to see it come back.  I think a network berth would be best (say 12:30pm on NBC) and possibly a four or five week primetime show to get the ball rolling.  Shopping format. Maybe get Ken Jennings to host the primetime show for publicity's sake?  Daytime host: Jim Perry, Matt Ottinger or me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
$ale of the Century
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 02:53:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 01:28 PM\']I hear there's a guy in Michigan who reads questions a couple of times a week and has experience with a rapid-fire sixty seconds to determine the day's winner....

[snapback]72109[/snapback]
[/quote]

LINE! OF! THE DAY!!!

But really, Ottinger hosting SOTC doesn't sound like a bad idea.

As for format, well, I'd want the shopping round left in, but the Winner's Board could work as the alternate. I'm still trying to decide a decent jackpot that wouldn't get me diagnosed with Mo' Money Syndrome, though.

DJDustman

$ale of the Century
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 02:56:32 PM »
Oh yes!

Most likely if it came back on syndication, as genuine as possible, without adding segments where you have to hang with a rope over a pool full of piranhas, it would have another 6 years or so.  It is fun to watch, especially when people are going for the gold, the courage it takes to do that brings the suspense out of you. Being inspired by the Australian version which lasted over 20 years, I would think it can work here.

DJDustman

$ale of the Century
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 02:58:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 02:53 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 01:28 PM\']I hear there's a guy in Michigan who reads questions a couple of times a week and has experience with a rapid-fire sixty seconds to determine the day's winner....

[snapback]72109[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm still trying to decide a decent jackpot that wouldn't get me diagnosed with Mo' Money Syndrome, though.
[snapback]72111[/snapback]
[/quote]

Start it at $100,000.  Go up $1,000 everyday not won.

Jimmy Owen

$ale of the Century
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 03:01:16 PM »
I'll put this on the table.  There would be the option to buy one of ten surprise packages, however you must take the prize in the package, could be a car, could be a trip, could be a swingset, could be an empty box, but if you decide to buy the package (the price of which is your winnings that day) you would have to leave the show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

$ale of the Century
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »
There would be the option to buy one of ten surprise packages, however you must take the prize in the package, could be a car, could be a trip, could be a swingset, could be an empty box, but if you decide to buy the package (the price of which is your winnings that day) you would have to leave the show.

Not bad...it adds an interesting element.  The only fault I can find with it is that it reminds me a bit of "Treasure Hunt" - but considering it's been so long since that show's been on, I'm sure the "average viewer" would think it's a good new twist.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

$ale of the Century
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
What makes $otC such an ingenious game are all the elements designed to make a leader willing to sacrifice his lead, thus keeping the game close to the end.  The Instant Cash game with an escalating jackpot was a perfect addition for the game.  I'm personally a bigger fan of the original "shopping" concept for the end because it adds the all-too-rare element of risk.  Back in the eighties, people (including some NBC people, apparently) thought that was a bad idea, but I find it much more engaging than some silly tacked-on Bonus Game that has nothing to do with the show.

BTW, thanks for the nice words, but I doubt I'd be a very good $otC host.  Give me a straight Q&A any day.  Something fast like Split Second, preferably.  But I'd be awkward with the whole auctioneering thing on the instant bargains.

"You don't want it?   Uh...OK."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

$ale of the Century
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 03:49:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 03:45 PM\']I doubt I'd be a very good $otC host.  Give me a straight Q&A any day.  Something fast like Split Second, preferably.  But I'd be awkward with the whole auctioneering thing on the instant bargains.
[snapback]72122[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've got it figured out. You do the Q&A and bring me on for the auctioneering part. I promise to do better than Sally. Think of it. We'd be the next generation Geoff & Rod.

Matt Ottinger

$ale of the Century
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 04:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 03:45 PM\']I doubt I'd be a very good $otC host.  Give me a straight Q&A any day.  Something fast like Split Second, preferably.  But I'd be awkward with the whole auctioneering thing on the instant bargains.[/quote]I've got it figured out. You do the Q&A and bring me on for the auctioneering part. I promise to do better than Sally. Think of it. We'd be the next generation Geoff & Rod.[/quote]
You know, a two-man crew, expanding the co-host role to more equal footing, might not be a bad idea at all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.