Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Dream Derby in trouble..  (Read 11967 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
American Dream Derby in trouble..
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2005, 08:22:14 PM »
I watched the finale to reward GSN for giving me the Ward TTTT last night.

Sweet mother of bejeezus, that was the most horribly-produced disaster ever. Why didn't they get a host who knew anything about either horse racing or reality-show hosting? Dude couldn't ad-lib to save his life, let alone read a cue card ("your prize will be "forwarded"?!") or build on any of the human drama surrounding the call to post ("whoops, the race is half over, I better shut up") or the winner's celebration.

What a disaster all around - telling us LeeAnn Rimes is coming up right after she quit singing? The graphic proclaiming "TBD" as the winner? Oy.

And form the flashbacks, it looks like the rest of the series was probably worse.
@lambertman

xibit777

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2005, 08:41:15 PM »
Thank God this disaster is gone forever after today.   Another *GSN original* bites the dust.  Hopefully this will give Cronin some more incentive to try a new game show original or a remake of an older one.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2005, 11:16:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 09:22 PM\']I watched the finale to reward GSN for giving me the Ward TTTT last night.

Sweet mother of bejeezus, that was the most horribly-produced disaster ever. [/quote]
I haven't seen a frame of the series, but now you make me really, really wish I had seen this!  This sounds more gloriously, hilariously screwed up than the Trivia Track debut.  This was done live, right?  I didn't have the vaguest notion when the final was going to be on, and according to my TiVo, GSN doesn't have ANY replays scheduled for something that they spend half a gazillion dollars on.

This ought to be the sort of thing that the news wires would pick up on just to ridicule, if anyone gave a flying fig what GSN was doing with its original programming these days.  And why would ANY minor cable outlet schedule their biggest event of the season during sweeps?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 11:16 PM\'][quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 09:22 PM\']I watched the finale to reward GSN for giving me the Ward TTTT last night.

Sweet mother of bejeezus, that was the most horribly-produced disaster ever. [/quote]
I haven't seen a frame of the series, but now you make me really, really wish I had seen this!  This sounds more gloriously, hilariously screwed up than the Trivia Track debut.  This was done live, right?  I didn't have the vaguest notion when the final was going to be on, and according to my TiVo, GSN doesn't have ANY replays scheduled for something that they spend half a gazillion dollars on.

This ought to be the sort of thing that the news wires would pick up on just to ridicule, if anyone gave a flying fig what GSN was doing with its original programming these days.  And why would ANY minor cable outlet schedule their biggest event of the season during sweeps?
[snapback]75664[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was live--and according to the biovator in Jackson, "SportsCenter" did run a clip from the "ADD" finale.  What they ran or if an anchor made a reference to Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson or Peter Tomarken, I don't know.

davemackey

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2005, 11:30:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 06:17 PM\']It was live--and according to the biovator in Jackson, "SportsCenter" did run a clip from the "ADD" finale.  What they ran or if an anchor made a reference to Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson or Peter Tomarken, I don't know.
[snapback]75769[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did see the Sportscenter mention. There was no mention of any game-show related stuff... just that Deanna Manfredi won the ADD, and the $250,000, and the eight horses (however they may be worth... it wasn't a claiming race, so I couldn't tell from what I could see on Equibase), in this race sponsored by GSN. Very respectfully done and kudos to ESPN for acknowledging the efforts of a competitor in very classy fashion.

I note that there were four other horses entered, and their owner was shown as Scott Stone. Was this show packaged by Stone's production company (the remnants of the old Stone Stanley)?

Monarx

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2005, 02:06:24 AM »
For the 0.7 of you who care, the ADD race was also shown on PhoneBetTV.  I was bored, so sue me*.

*- Don't sue me.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

cmjb13

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2005, 06:40:39 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 11:30 PM\']and the eight horses (however they may be worth)
[/quote]
Got to be worth at least a case of glue.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 06:41:12 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2005, 05:10:27 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 11:30 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 06:17 PM\']It was live--and according to the biovator in Jackson, "SportsCenter" did run a clip from the "ADD" finale.  What they ran or if an anchor made a reference to Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson or Peter Tomarken, I don't know.
[snapback]75769[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did see the Sportscenter mention. There was no mention of any game-show related stuff... just that Deanna Manfredi won the ADD, and the $250,000, and the eight horses (however they may be worth... it wasn't a claiming race, so I couldn't tell from what I could see on Equibase), in this race sponsored by GSN. Very respectfully done and kudos to ESPN for acknowledging the efforts of a competitor in very classy fashion.

I note that there were four other horses entered, and their owner was shown as Scott Stone. Was this show packaged by Stone's production company (the remnants of the old Stone Stanley)?
[snapback]75827[/snapback]
[/quote]

That it was.