Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Dream Derby in trouble..  (Read 12428 times)

xibit777

American Dream Derby in trouble..
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 05:12:06 PM »
Maybe a .41 isn't so bad for a primere, but you have to remember what really counts is who comes back to watch the shows.  The Prof made sure that his remark came after the 2nd week of Dream Derby aired.   Usually a show starts out high then flattens out.  Poker Royale was a 0.7 or 0.8 wasn't it on its first showing?  I highly doubt it was anywhere near that towards the end of the run.

This week's ratings of Dream Derby must have really nosedived once people saw the show and what it was about.  There is no other reason why they would replace it with game shows in non-important time slots such as 4 eastern on the weekend.

Especially since they were promoting it so much, I think there were many viewers watching the first night just to see what it was about since they saw  advertisements everywhere including major newspapers, magazines, local TV station commercials, and all over GSN.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 05:13:52 PM by xibit777 »

catnap1972

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 05:35:14 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 10:57 AM\']
Are there a lot of 90s-era games left that they don't have that would be worth the effort? [/quote]

I don't know if they're available (probably not or too expensive) but how about the 2 seasons of George's WL and/or the first 2 of Meredith's version of WWTBAM?  At least we could banish the overplayed witch for awhile, and we'd get some variety in the latter since GSN's burned through Regis' eps (of what they have) more than enough.

sshuffield70

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 05:58:14 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 04:27 PM\']I just got done talking to people from GSN, and I got the ratings.  American Dream Derby, on it's premiere, got a .41, which is just about the same or less as Celebrity Blackjack and Extreme Dodgeball non-debuts, a lot less than Poker Royale was getting, less than Family Feud, and .03 above what Russian Roulette was getting and .08 above Lingo.
[snapback]71983[/snapback]
[/quote]

Naturally, I'm going to take issue with the ratings......but it's not the fault of Alex for it.   I blame GSN.

I think it was well known that "Lingo" and RR premiered at about a .8, and stayed pretty steady.  So, for a proper comparison, ADD did half of either of them.  Wonder if they got a hint? ;)

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 07:29:22 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 05:35 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 10:57 AM\']
Are there a lot of 90s-era games left that they don't have that would be worth the effort? [/quote]

I don't know if they're available (probably not or too expensive) but how about the 2 seasons of George's WL and/or the first 2 of Meredith's version of WWTBAM?  At least we could banish the overplayed witch for awhile, and we'd get some variety in the latter since GSN's burned through Regis' eps (of what they have) more than enough.
[snapback]71994[/snapback]
[/quote]

How's about getting another season or two of Bergeron HS and sticking it on weekdays. And what about the rest of Regis Millionaire? And, although not as popular a show, Anderson Feud, since PAX is now airing Karn Feud only?

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »
At least we got a week of Tattletales because of it.

michaellinn

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 11:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 11:02 PM\']At least we got a week of Tattletales because of it.
[snapback]72054[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ha! My thoughts exactly! That was one good thing (or I should say--the ONLY good thing) about it, IMO, anyway!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 11:55:15 PM by michaellinn »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »
How's about getting another season or two of Bergeron HS and sticking it on weekdays.

They have the rights to the entire Bergeron run, don't they?

Since GSN's attempts at running "game-related programming" instead of traditional "game shows" seems to have failed, I wonder how much longer they're going to continue on this course before they give it up, and go back to a 24/7 tradional game schedule.  If they don't have a ton of cash to keep throwing at this stuff, you'd think sooner or later they're going to cut their losses and move on.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 10:44:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 09:23 AM\']Since GSN's attempts at running "game-related programming" instead of traditional "game shows" seems to have failed, I wonder how much longer they're going to continue on this course before they give it up, and go back to a 24/7 tradional game schedule.  If they don't have a ton of cash to keep throwing at this stuff, you'd think sooner or later they're going to cut their losses and move on.
[snapback]72086[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wouldn't say it's failed entirely.....There have been some bombs (see: "American Dream Derby, "Kenny v. Spenny" among others), but there's no denying that blackjack and poker shows are hot right now, not just on GSN, but other channels, too.

While I,  too, would rather see game-shows on GSN 24/7, I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon.

FPGWillyT

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »
My father is in the industry and he is appalled about how the show has turned out.  It appears, based on what is being aired to us, that the show is more about "gambling" than it is about raising/maintaining horses.  We're seeing nothing about the raising and caring for the animals and more about memory tests, physical challenges and who can withstand sucking in the most warm oat water.

For those of you who know ANYTHING about horses, pull down the ADD Daily Racing Form and review the forms for all of the horses.  They are what my Pops would call "dogs".  Most, if not all, of them couldn't win a claiming race for $10K unless they were all in a race TOGETHER!  It's not that they are bad animals, it's just they are not GOOD animals.  

I'll still watch because it's mindless fun.

xibit777

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 04:30:20 PM »
The Prof added more stuff about Dream Derby.  Turns out it was the first week's ratings he was going by.  I sort of wonder the validity of Itiparanoid's ratings now because the 3rd episode *improved* to 0.4   So the first one was below that contrary to what Itiparanoid said.

Can anyone believe Millionaire still gets a 0.9???   That is amazing.   Everyone turned the channel after Millionaire.  lol

Cronin is standing by Dream Derby unfortunately.  He just doesn't get it.   They're going to continue on this track of failed shows.  Pool is next.  Trust me, watching pool normally is BORING.   Pool tricks are more fun, but regular old pool is boring unless maybe they get some celebs.   Pool professionals hardly ever miss a shot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 04:32:47 PM by xibit777 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 05:30 PM\']Cronin is standing by Dream Derby unfortunately.  He just doesn't get it.   They're going to continue on this track of failed shows.  Pool is next.  Trust me, watching pool normally is BORING.   Pool tricks are more fun, but regular old pool is boring unless maybe they get some celebs.   Pool professionals hardly ever miss a shot.[/quote]
As I said before, I'm a fan of Celebrity Anything when it comes to this genre.  But this one's easy.  Find out what ratings ESPN gets for pool.  Cut it in half, at least.  That's what GSN will get.

The more GSN creeps into the pseudo-sports stuff that ESPN and ESPN2 already covers, the more I wonder whether GSN people realize it's already being done, and by folks with a heck of a lot more resources and reach than they have.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 02:30 PM\']Pool is next.  Trust me, watching pool normally is BORING.   Pool tricks are more fun, but regular old pool is boring unless maybe they get some celebs.   Pool professionals hardly ever miss a shot.
[snapback]72130[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I enjoy watching 9-ball on ESPN because they're so insanely good at it, you're sitting there in front of the TV saying "no WAY do they have a shot here!", and the shooter kisses three cushions and cuts the object ball into the 9 for the win.

Celebrity Pool might work if it was some kind of a pro-am tournament where the pros are there to make the shots and the celebrities are there to do the schtick, but I dunno if I wanna watch Celebrities Playing Pool Badly By Themselves.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 06:35:23 PM »
Will life imitate art? Will GSN transform itself into "The Ocho"???
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 07:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 04:35 PM\']Will life imitate art? Will GSN transform itself into "The Ocho"???
[snapback]72148[/snapback]
[/quote]
Using the word "art" with regard to "Dodgeball" is an insult to artists everywhere. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 06:18 PM\'][quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 02:30 PM\']Pool is next.  Trust me, watching pool normally is BORING.   Pool tricks are more fun, but regular old pool is boring unless maybe they get some celebs.   Pool professionals hardly ever miss a shot.
[snapback]72130[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I enjoy watching 9-ball on ESPN because they're so insanely good at it, you're sitting there in front of the TV saying "no WAY do they have a shot here!", and the shooter kisses three cushions and cuts the object ball into the 9 for the win.

Celebrity Pool might work if it was some kind of a pro-am tournament where the pros are there to make the shots and the celebrities are there to do the schtick, but I dunno if I wanna watch Celebrities Playing Pool Badly By Themselves.
[snapback]72141[/snapback]
[/quote]

I read that Bravo is taping a Celebrity Pool pilot.