Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF idea  (Read 5071 times)

tvmitch

WOF idea
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
For Definition, the unused letter board was important because there was a lot of strategy in picking letters that aren't in the puzzle versus ones that were...two at a time instead of one.

On a separate thought: I find myself watching Wheel much more often than I used to - almost appointment television. I think I like all the changes that have been going on lately. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:32:44 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Don Howard

WOF idea
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 09:30 AM\']I find myself watching Wheel much more often than I used to - almost appointment television. I think I like all the changes that have been going on lately.
[snapback]72089[/snapback]
[/quote]
At my home this season, there are 1.5 million good reasons to watch.

vtown7

WOF idea
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »
Mitch, it's interesting you mention Wheel being appointment television... I actually don't really make an effort to watch it - Wheel is a show that is trying to age well but it seems to be doing the opposite - they feel the need to tweak every little thing.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the tossups are fun, but something like the extra graphics ("No more vowels!" "Final spin!" "Toss up!" "Vanna touches 10,000,000th letter") are a bit much.

Then again, I'm still annoyed there's no returning champion so there you go.  And as always, YMMV.

Ryan :)

reason1024

WOF idea
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
Are you serious that there's a "No More Vowels" graphic?  Yipes.

The possible defense I could think of for the graphics is if they help distract the viewers from what would otherwise be a jump cut with some continuity problems.

Yeah, I agree though that the institution of Wheel is not aging gracefully, but it's not as bad as "XLN: eXtreme Letters and Numbers!  The All New COUNTDOWN!" :-p

Casey

WOF idea
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 09:03:21 PM »
Well, the No More Vowels graphic isn't like the Final Spin graphic.  No More Vowels pops up above the category name at the bottom of the screen.  Curiously, they got rid of the traditional sound effect, and replaced it with something much duller, in my opinion.  

It seems like it follows the trend of network television in general.  You can't go 3 minutes now without a graphic popping up telling you 1) what you are currently watching, 2) what's on next, or 3) telling you what will be on next week... I'm waiting for the day when the entire show is split screened with ads in the other half...

ChuckNet

WOF idea
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 10:00:54 PM »
Well, the No More Vowels graphic isn't like the Final Spin graphic. No More Vowels pops up above the category name at the bottom of the screen. Curiously, they got rid of the traditional sound effect, and replaced it with something much duller, in my opinion.

Huh? Up until this season, there was never a sound effect when the last vowel to appear in a puzzle was bought (which was introduced concurrently w/the NMV graphic), just Pat saying something to the effect of "That's it for the vowels, you gotta spin or solve". Or are you confusing that w/the "only vowels left" chimes?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Craig Karlberg

WOF idea
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 05:27:32 AM »
The "Only vowels left" sounder is still around since its inception.  It used to 8 long(.2 sec each) beeps, now it's only a lower piched set of 5 short blips which I don't mind.  The "No more vowels" yellow graphic was added earlier this season which uses a carrtoony sound effect that was reversed when the graphic "poped down".

passwordplus

WOF idea
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 08:05 AM\'][quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 07:54 PM\']Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are stupider than dirt (like many of the contestants)...  This is not a show to watch for great gameplay in any real sense.
[/quote]
You are hardly one to call people out for being "stupid".
How's that TV production degree coming along?
[snapback]71906[/snapback]
[/quote]

And this pissing contest is related to the topic how????

IIRC, I was asking about a used letter board, not somebody's degree or a flame war.

zachhoran

WOF idea
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 01:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 08:05 AM\']

[/quote]

IIRC, I was asking about a used letter board, not somebody's degree or a flame war.
[snapback]72262[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pissing contests, if you want to call them that, are something the regulars have gotten used to over the years on ATGS and here. On here, they aren't allowed to get as out of hand as they did on ATGS. If they get out of hand here, the thread gets locked. The moderators don't much care for such contests, and maybe you don't either, but one has to wade through an occasional one to get to the actual game-related posts.

Casey

WOF idea
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 10:00 PM\']Huh? Up until this season, there was never a sound effect when the last vowel to appear in a puzzle was bought (which was introduced concurrently w/the NMV graphic), just Pat saying something to the effect of "That's it for the vowels, you gotta spin or solve". Or are you confusing that w/the "only vowels left" chimes?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]72182[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, you are exactly right. :)  I had confused one with the other.   But I still say the "no more vowels in the puzzle" thing is stupid. :)

passwordplus

WOF idea
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 02:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 08:16 PM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 01:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 08:05 AM\']

[/quote]

[snapback]72262[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pissing contests, if you want to call them that, are something the regulars have gotten used to over the years on ATGS and here. On here, they aren't allowed to get as out of hand as they did on ATGS. If they get out of hand here, the thread gets locked. The moderators don't much care for such contests, and maybe you don't either, but one has to wade through an occasional one to get to the actual game-related posts.
[snapback]72316[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hope the mods. realize our time is more valuable than that.