Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF idea  (Read 5014 times)

passwordplus

WOF idea
« on: January 18, 2005, 04:06:12 PM »
Why, in 30 years of WOF, have they never put a used letter board on the botton of the TV screen. I know in the beginning it wasn't possible, but with the different fonts and technology, I think it would work.

They might have to take the damn SPIN ID promo out, oh well, to make room for it.

itiparanoid13

WOF idea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:10:15 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 04:06 PM\']Why, in 30 years of WOF, have they never put a used letter board on the botton of the TV screen. I know in the beginning it wasn't possible, but with the different fonts and technology, I think it would work.

They might have to take the damn SPIN ID promo out, oh well, to make room for it.
[snapback]71770[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would be nicer than the damn annoying pop for No More Vowels.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF idea
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 02:06 PM\']Why, in 30 years of WOF, have they never put a used letter board on the botton of the TV screen. I know in the beginning it wasn't possible, but with the different fonts and technology, I think it would work.
[/quote]
Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are NOT game-show geeks, it simply isn't interesting information, and would only serve to confuse people., and distract them from the show itself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey

WOF idea
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:49:19 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a regularly Wheel watcher... The show just seems to move way too slowly for me.  Actually I get more frustrated with the way people seem to buy vowels at the most inane times. :)  But I happened to see it most recently over Thanksgiving while visiting relatives who are absolutely hooked on it and I was very surprised with how much time is spent either 1) playing a toss-up puzzle or 2) showing a graphic of some sort.  I mean do they really need a graphic for the final spin??  Also when did they decide to add $1000 to the value of the final spin?  (And why?)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
WOF idea
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:34:25 PM »
I admit the graphics being a little much, but there is at least some sense behind the whole final spin thing. It began to be really anticlimatic with all the money they were throwing around when final spins came up $300 or whatever. So, by adding $1,000 - it gave some players a chance at least. You may disagree, and rightfully so that it's too much of a chance...but hey. Not nearly as useless as that $1,000 toss-up.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ChuckNet

WOF idea
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:42:05 PM »
Also, in response to that first query about $1K being added to the final spin, they started doing it early in the 99-00 season.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

starcade

WOF idea
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 07:54:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 04:45 PM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 02:06 PM\']Why, in 30 years of WOF, have they never put a used letter board on the botton of the TV screen. I know in the beginning it wasn't possible, but with the different fonts and technology, I think it would work.
[/quote]
Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are NOT game-show geeks, it simply isn't interesting information, and would only serve to confuse people., and distract them from the show itself.
[snapback]71778[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are stupider than dirt (like many of the contestants)...  This is not a show to watch for great gameplay in any real sense.

Craig Karlberg

WOF idea
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 05:11:50 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 06:42 PM\']Also, in response to that first query about $1K being added to the final spin, they started doing it early in the 99-00 season.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]71798[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not only that, IIRC, that was the same year the lowest dollar value on the wheel went from $250 to $300 because I heard Pat & Vanna mentioned in its first week that something was missing on the wheel that year(the $250 space) & they asked the viewing audience to pay close attention to what's on the wheel to figure out what's not there anymore.

daveromanjr

WOF idea
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 07:36:32 AM »
I'd just be happy if they would show the puzzle more often.  It always seems like they are going back to shots of the contestants way too often.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
WOF idea
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 08:05:26 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 07:54 PM\']Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are stupider than dirt (like many of the contestants)...  This is not a show to watch for great gameplay in any real sense.
[/quote]
You are hardly one to call people out for being "stupid".
How's that TV production degree coming along?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

WOF idea
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 08:07:23 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 07:54 PM\']Because for the 99% of WOF watchers who are stupider than dirt (like many of the contestants)...  This is not a show to watch for great gameplay in any real sense.

[snapback]71906[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are very occasionally well played episodes of WOF, the John Holder episode from last month comes to mind.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF idea
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 12:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 06:05 AM\']You are hardly one to call people out for being "stupid".
[/quote]
Dude, what the hell was THAT all about.

Let it be known that the vast majority of this Forum's more pessimistic voices do not condone this man's actions.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CarShark

WOF idea
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 12:55:26 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 06:34 PM\']Not nearly as useless as that $1,000 toss-up.

-Jason
[snapback]71796[/snapback]
[/quote]

But that's for the right to be interviewed by Pat Sajak first! Why would you take that away from them? WHY??? :)

starcade

WOF idea
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 10:10:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 12:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 19 2005, 06:05 AM\']You are hardly one to call people out for being "stupid".
[/quote]
Dude, what the hell was THAT all about.

Let it be known that the vast majority of this Forum's more pessimistic voices do not condone this man's actions.
[snapback]71940[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you sure about that???

I would think the Forum's more pessimistic voices probably see me as the Herb Stempel of this group -- BEFORE Congress got involved.

Fedya

WOF idea
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 11:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 04:45 PM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 02:06 PM\']Why, in 30 years of WOF, have they never put a used letter board on the botton of the TV screen. I know in the beginning it wasn't possible, but with the different fonts and technology, I think it would work.
[/quote]
[snapback]71778[/snapback]
[/quote]
On the other hand, I recall the one time I saw "Definitions" when I was on vacation in Canada in the mid-80s that it had an unused-letter board above or below the puzzle (I can't remember which).
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post