Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My PYRAMID Experience  (Read 2707 times)

GSFan

My PYRAMID Experience
« on: July 25, 2003, 12:30:44 PM »
Greetings, all.  Someone asked me about my experience as a contestant on The $20,000 Pyramid in June of 1978.  I attempted to respond privately, but my e-mail did not go through.  Therefore, I am posting my response here.

Pyramid really grabbed my interest when I was a teenager.  I attended many tapings of the show in New York City.  I saw all three first season $25K wins, the first $50K win and many others.  As it became my favorite television program, it was just a matter of time until I turned 18 and could audition.

Though I won no money, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience from the audition process to the taping.  Shortly after my show aired, I asked if there was any way I could get a 3/4\" copy of the show, these being the days before VCR's.  I was told I couldn't and that the tapes were to be erased.  My \"prize\" came 20 years later when I was looking through the website of someone with a huge video collection and found a week of Pyramid shows from 1978 with Lois Nettleton and Dick Cavett.  I immediately e-mailed this fellow, asking him to look at the Thursday show and see if the male contestant was me.  Much to my surprise, my episode was among the shows not erased and being rerun on GSN.

I received a copy of my show a few years ago.  What a gift it was to see myself at nineteen.  I looked great and played the game well.  I lost to Ruth Lavasek, who was on a roll that day.  In fact, she went on to become the highest money winner without hitting a WC jackpot.  I had a lot of fun during the whole process of getting on the show, my loss notwithstanding.  Additionally, I have a rerun.  My show was run on GSN once that I know of.

There isn't much else to tell unless you have a specific question(s).  If you do, please feel free to send me e-mail.  

All the best,

David Mikelberg (GSFan)
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

Timsterino

My PYRAMID Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 02:35:08 PM »
David,

That was a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. It is true that even if you do not win any money, the experience of being on a game show is worth a boat load of money in memories. How cool that you were able to see your show?

Thanks for sharing,
Tim :-)

Brandon Brooks

My PYRAMID Experience
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 08:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 01:35 PM\'] That was a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. It is true that even if you do not win any money, the experience of being on a game show is worth a boat load of money in memories. [/quote]
 God, is it ever.  That is pretty cool, David.  I do have a question... how were the celebs and Dick?  Were you allowed to interact with them at all?  I know I wasn't able to, and I really wish I could've.

Brandon Brooks

GSFan

My PYRAMID Experience
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 08:56:32 AM »
The coolest thing was finding my show 20 years later, after being told that it had been erased.  I am completely tickled that I am in reruns, just like Lucille Ball.

I did not have much interaction with Messrs. Cavett and Clark or Ms. Nettleton, short of saying hello and playing the game.  I imagine this would have been different had I spent more time on the show.  I was on and off stage in 10 minutes.  Drat! Now, if Mr. Brown and company would rescind the rule about former contesants competing on Pyramid, I'd be a happy camper.

Pyramid got me interested in working in television.  In fact I created ideas for game shows when I was in High School.  This leads me to a request.  The only producer in New York City who would see me and listen to my ideas was Don Lipp, the producer of The Big Showdown and The Money Maze.  Mr. Lipp was always gracious, kind and supportive of my desire to be in the business.  He was a true friend and mentor.  I would love to speak to him again after so many years.  Does anyone in this forum have any contact information for him?  I heard he had posted on some version of this board or a board at GSN.  I'd really appreciate any assistance.

I am truly happy that my Pyramid memories are vivid and strong.  I am glad to have the opportunity to share them here.

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

vtown7

My PYRAMID Experience
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 09:03:31 AM »
Now, if Mr. Brown and company would rescind the rule about former contesants competing on Pyramid, I'd be a happy camper.

Speaking of which, does the \"former SONY game show contestants aren't eligible\" rule still exist?

Oh, and thanks for sharing your experiences David!

Cheers,

Ryan V.