Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WML 1968-72  (Read 3776 times)

Tim L

WML 1968-72
« on: January 15, 2005, 10:19:20 AM »
Just looking through the thread of "newscasters as game show hosts" got me thinking.The consensus I have read as far as Wally Bruner's WML? hosting skill is that he did an acceptable job and got better as he went along.  My question: If Bruner had not been considered or was unavailable..Who would have been a good replacement for John Charles Daly?

Tim Lones

DrBear

WML 1968-72
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:07:21 PM »
Just about anybody on the normal side of Chuck Barris. More to the point, somebody who could have fun with a simple game, banter with the panelists (Bruner's weak point), know when to put the contestant right with his yes/no answers, and conduct reasonably good interviews (while, in the case of the Bruner version, being fit enough to participate in demonstrations). Actually, I think Robert Earle of GE College Bowl might have done pretty well (and was Password off CBS by that time? Would Ludden have been available?)

And here's a weird thought ... what if they had "promoted" Bennett Cerf to host?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

whewfan

WML 1968-72
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 03:06:39 PM »
It's unlikely they would've gotten Bennett to host. Bennett Cerf was showing signs of age when WML returned, and I don't believe he appeared regularly. He was still in good form as a panelist, but surely a younger man would've been prefered to host.

calliaume

WML 1968-72
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 02:07 PM\']Just about anybody on the normal side of Chuck Barris. More to the point, somebody who could have fun with a simple game, banter with the panelists (Bruner's weak point), know when to put the contestant right with his yes/no answers, and conduct reasonably good interviews (while, in the case of the Bruner version, being fit enough to participate in demonstrations). Actually, I think Robert Earle of GE College Bowl might have done pretty well (and was Password off CBS by that time? Would Ludden have been available?)

And here's a weird thought ... what if they had "promoted" Bennett Cerf to host?
[snapback]71358[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not sure where Earle was in his teaching career at the time (he was a professor at Cornell when I was there from 1980-1984).  If he was a full professor at the time, I doubt he could have done that, College Bowl, and five episodes a week of WML?.

I had thought of Ludden as well, but he and Betty White had moved to California the year before and I doubt he'd want to commute back.

My first thought would have been Garry Moore -- in fact, WML? might have been better suited to him than To Tell the Truth.  Gene Rayburn could have done it as well.

Jimmy Owen

WML 1968-72
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 10:19:34 PM »
I liked Wally on WML? and he even got me to watch his home improvement show.  I'm also a Larry Blyden and John Charles Daly fan so just about any ep of WML? is a great viewing experience for me.  As far as people in NY without a gig in 68 who might have been available, I guess Bud Collyer could have done it for one year, Jack Narz would have been good, Robert Q, Bill Leyden, etc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 10:21:40 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TwoInchQuad

WML 1968-72
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 03:06:35 AM »
I'd definitely go with Robert Q. (though he was quite tough to work with, according to most backstage accounts)... after doing panel show time on "The Name's the Same" and some relief stints on TTTT,  I think he'd have been well-suited for the show.

I don't think Allen Ludden wouldn't have done as well on WML?, though-- you can see from watching him that he wasn't a particularly good listener at times, and I think WML? really requires that.

-Kevin

davemackey

WML 1968-72
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 05:20:09 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 10:18 PM\']I'm not sure where Earle was in his teaching career at the time (he was a professor at Cornell when I was there from 1980-1984).  If he was a full professor at the time, I doubt he could have done that, College Bowl, and five episodes a week of WML?.
[snapback]71413[/snapback]
[/quote]

Robert Earle did have a hosting gig in the 70's - an educational show called "Your Future Is Now." I don't remember how often or where it aired.

zachhoran

WML 1968-72
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:20:16 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 05:20 AM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 15 2005, 10:18 PM\']I'm not sure where Earle was in his teaching career at the time (he was a professor at Cornell when I was there from 1980-1984).  If he was a full professor at the time, I doubt he could have done that, College Bowl, and five episodes a week of WML?.
[snapback]71413[/snapback]
[/quote]

Robert Earle did have a hosting gig in the 70's - an educational show called "Your Future Is Now." I don't remember how often or where it aired.
[snapback]71446[/snapback]
[/quote]

Norton Simon tried to get him back to game shows in the mid 70s with that "King of the Hill" pilot on the trading circuit.

J.R.

WML 1968-72
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 09:39:31 PM »
Was John Charles Daly ever considered to host the revival?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

ChuckNet

WML 1968-72
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 10:35:14 PM »
I liked Wally on WML? and he even got me to watch his home improvement show.

In fact, he returned to WML during the Blyden era as a Mystery Guest, and took the op to plug his Wally's Workshop book, a tie-in from said show.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 10:35:24 PM by ChuckNet »

Tim L

WML 1968-72
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 11:07:03 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 09:39 PM\']Was John Charles Daly ever considered to host the revival?

-Joe R.
[snapback]71510[/snapback]
[/quote]

At the end of CBS WML? in 1967, Daly was Hired at  Voice Of America In Washington where he was for several years.  I had heard he wasnt overly fond of the revival and the somewhat "looser" atmosphere and, as he was getting up in age, I would suspect he didnt want the long days associated with 5 shows a day taping.

Tim Lones

Jimmy Owen

WML 1968-72
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:28:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 11:07 PM\'][quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Jan 16 2005, 09:39 PM\']Was John Charles Daly ever considered to host the revival?

-Joe R.
[snapback]71510[/snapback]
[/quote]

At the end of CBS WML? in 1967, Daly was Hired at  Voice Of America In Washington where he was for several years.  I had heard he wasnt overly fond of the revival and the somewhat "looser" atmosphere and, as he was getting up in age, I would suspect he didnt want the long days associated with 5 shows a day taping.

Tim Lones
[snapback]71527[/snapback]
[/quote]

John did come back to co-host the 25th anniversary special on ABC, which pretty much ignored the syndicated years.  I thought that was somewhat odd, but maybe they didn't want to promote a show that might have been airing on the competition.  We'll soon be nearing the 30th anniversary of the 25th anniversary special.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 01:30:28 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

WML 1968-72
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 09:21:40 AM »
In fact, he returned to WML during the Blyden era as a Mystery Guest, and took the op to plug his Wally's Workshop book, a tie-in from said show.

And oddly enough, Larry Blyden was a Mystery Guest during the Bruner era!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

WML 1968-72
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 01:26:11 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned my man Bill.  The best there was had panel experience, was still in NYC and could easily have worked his schedule around Eye Guess.   TTTT was just a year later, so it would seem Goodson didn't hold any grudges when it came to Bill working for Bob Stewart.  Plus, I know Bill was seriously considered to host the syndicated revival of TPIR just a couple years later. (Which was supposed to be the important one, remember?  The daytime version with that Truth or Consequences guy was almost an afterthought.)

There would have been obstacles, since the syndicated version of WML? had a lot more physical demonstrations, but nothing that couldn't have been overcome.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Tim L

WML 1968-72
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 04:23:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 17 2005, 01:26 PM\']Surprised no one has mentioned my man Bill.  The best there was had panel experience, was still in NYC and could easily have worked his schedule around Eye Guess.   TTTT was just a year later, so it would seem Goodson didn't hold any grudges when it came to Bill working for Bob Stewart.  Plus, I know Bill was seriously considered to host the syndicated revival of TPIR just a couple years later. (Which was supposed to be the important one, remember?  The daytime version with that Truth or Consequences guy was almost an afterthought.)

There would have been obstacles, since the syndicated version of WML? had a lot more physical demonstrations, but nothing that couldn't have been overcome.
[snapback]71584[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, Bill Cullen was one of the first ones I thought of as host.  I think he would have shied away from the demonstrations for ther most part, perhaps the more strenuous ones at least