Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Password question  (Read 4765 times)

PeterMarshallFan

ABC Password question
« on: July 24, 2003, 12:56:56 PM »
When did they switch from the orange set to the ugly pink and blue one? I'm not referring to the Password All-Stars set [that was good] but this set looked like the orange one but with said ugly colors on it.

AH3RD

ABC Password question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 12:59:59 PM »
It made the switch on November 18, 1974.

Check out my ABC Password Page, @ http://www.geocities.com/ABCPass/.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Jimmy Owen

ABC Password question
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 02:01:37 PM »
I don't think the set was ever pink.  What you may be seeing is a video caputure of a kinescope that has turned pink.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tommycharles

ABC Password question
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 02:09:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 01:01 PM\'] I don't think the set was ever pink.  What you may be seeing is a video caputure of a kinescope that has turned pink. [/quote]
 Not to nitpick, but doesn't kinescope imply that it was black and white, eliminating that possibility?

bricon

ABC Password question
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 02:28:41 PM »
Not to nitpick, but doesn't kinescope imply that it was black and white, eliminating that possibility?

Kinescopes can be in color, too.  Remember, it's basically aiming a motion picture camera at a monitor, and filming the output.

PeterMarshallFan

ABC Password question
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 05:07:23 PM »
The top left picture on Aaron's page is the set I'm talking about.

calliaume

ABC Password question
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 10:05:56 AM »

That's just a bad video capture.  The set was never pink -- they switched from the orange Password set directly to the blue Password All-Stars set in November 1974, but that was the only change.

Trust the old fogy who actually saw the show on this one.

PeterMarshallFan

ABC Password question
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 10:31:18 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 09:05 AM\']

That's just a bad video capture.  The set was never pink -- they switched from the orange Password set directly to the blue Password All-Stars set in November 1974, but that was the only change.

Trust the old fogy who actually saw the show on this one. [/quote]
 I knew it didn't look familiar...I saw it and thought \"What the hell?!\"

Thanks for clearing that up.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
ABC Password question
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 11:04:01 AM »
On Aaron's site there's a link to a \"Bewitched\" site which has some exclusive sound clips from ABC's Password. Other than that fact, which alone is pretty cool, there's some rules issues cleared up here. Feel free to chime in with addendums. FYI, the clips were from the week of November 19-23, 1973.

* By this point (entire run?) each word in the Lightning Round was worth $100.

* Also, by this point (entire run?) games were played as two-out-of-three matches.

I should mention the ticking sound of the \"Betting Word\" clock is extremely irritating.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

ABC Password question
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 05:22:24 PM »
* By this point (entire run?) each word in the Lightning Round was worth $100.

* Also, by this point (entire run?) games were played as two-out-of-three matches.

Correct for sure on the latter.  Initially in this version, the champion met a new challenger after every game.  By early 1973 through \"Password All-Stars,\" it was two-out-of-three.

As for the former, I don't think so--it seemed to me that in the two-out-of-three format, a Lightning Round was played after every game but the Betting Word was only played after the second win and that your combined winnings from both Lightning Rounds (which were still $50 a word) were yours to bet (which would be a maximum of $500).  At least it seemed that way.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
ABC Password question
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 09:18:30 PM »
I'd hate to berate Mark here, whose posts I respect and read all the time, but Allen was distinctly counting out the words in hundreds. And, in one clip where the first game in the match is won, they immediately change partners.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

That Don Guy

ABC Password question
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 09:33:55 PM »
I agree with Jason - I definitely remember a time when the Lightning Round was $100 a word.  I want to say that the change was after the 2-out-of-3 change (it's possible that when they started the $100-a-word, they only played the Lightning Round after each match), but I remember when I used to say \"I want to say...\" about the early episodes of The Joker's Wild, and then I saw them again on GSN...

-- Don (say, did anybody ever intentionally give an illegal clue in a Betting Word round (forcing a \"no bet\") when it seemed they were about to lose?)

Ian Wallis

ABC Password question
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2003, 01:53:55 PM »
Quote:
The set was never pink -- they switched from the orange Password set directly to the blue Password All-Stars set in November 1974, but that was the only change.
Trust the old fogy who actually saw the show on this one.

--------

I saw it too, and the change was actually supposed to happen a couple of weeks earlier than it did.  I remember Allen Ludden mentioning the upcoming changes and, at the end of a Friday episode, stated it would be happening \"next Monday\".  Sure enough, we tuned it that Monday and it was still the same set.  I believe the changes occured two weeks after that broadcast instead.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

ABC Password question
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2003, 02:11:24 PM »
Interesting, Ian.  The celeb. archives on Aaron's site for the two weeks prior to \"All-Stars\" list a charity tourney for the first week and then no listing for the week after that.  Could they have thrown in some repeats or out of taping order shows before the mid-Nov \"All-Stars\" debut?  Wonder how they handled the current champ situation when they went all-celeb?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

ABC Password question
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2003, 02:16:08 PM »
I vaguely remember Allen mentioning at the top of the broadcast why it wasn't the new format.  I think he mentioned something about the set construction wasn't completed, or something along those lines.  After all of this time though, it's hard to remember exactly what was said.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!