Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century bonus rounds  (Read 14819 times)

BrandonFG

Sale of the Century bonus rounds
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 11:17:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 11:45 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 08:58 PM\']
(Does anyone know where the NAME "Quicksilver" came from, though?)
It's another name for the element better known as mercury.
[snapback]70978[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm hoping the OP meant "why the hell did they come up with that name for that particular show, since it wasn't terribly fast, or indeed sharing of any other mercurial qualities." :)
[snapback]70982[/snapback]
[/quote]
Quicksilver was one of The Avengers. When I saw Quicksilver, I wanted revenge on USA for yanking $ale of the Century so that garbage could be presented. I grant you, garbage is in the eye of the beholder and when I watched Quicksilver, I beheld garbage.
[snapback]70990[/snapback]
[/quote]

You and me both. I remember being really disappointed when Sale was yanked back in '94. Although Caesar's Challenge was a nice addition, I could not understand what USA was thinking to sacrifice Sale for Quicksilver and Free-4-All...ESPECIALLY Free-4-All.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 11:37:56 AM »
Although Caesar's Challenge was a nice addition, I could not understand what USA was thinking to sacrifice Sale for Quicksilver and Free-4-All...ESPECIALLY Free-4-All.

I agree about "Quicksilver" and "Free 4 All", but I think "Caesar's Challenge" was one of the under-rated game shows of the '90s.  USA only ran it for about four months, so I'm pretty sure they didn't even run every episode of it.  It's too bad it didn't last longer on NBC - I wonder if it would have had a lengthier run had it gone into syndication rather than the network, as was the original plan.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2005, 12:55:58 PM »
Did they even show any eps. with the first bonus game (unscramble the one word, with one letter added for each game you've won)? The only eps. I ever saw involved the five words in :30, which I think only lasted four months.

As for CC lasting, wasn't it only a placeholder on NBC's schedule?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2005, 01:22:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 11:55 AM\']As for CC lasting, wasn't it only a placeholder on NBC's schedule?
[snapback]71048[/snapback]
[/quote]
Placeholder for what?  IIRC, CC and CC (only I know which one was which ;-) ) were replaced by Jane Whitney's show, which had already been in syndication before NBC picked it up for network airing.

Yes, technically CAESAR'S ran for two more weeks as NBC took off the CONCENTRATION reruns, but I consider Whitney to have replaced both of them.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:26:02 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »
There seemed to be an above-average amount of pub when Caesar's Challenge came out in TV Guide, simultaneous syndie version, gladiator change, etc., so I think the show was intended to go on indefinetely if the ratings had been there.  By the time the show expanded to two airings a day, though, the writing was on the wall, so to speak.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 01:26:52 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 01:22 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 11:55 AM\']As for CC lasting, wasn't it only a placeholder on NBC's schedule?
[/quote]
Placeholder for what?  IIRC, CC and CC (only I know which one was which ;-) ) were replaced by Jane Whitney's show, which had already been in syndication before NBC picked it up for network airing.

Yes, technically CAESAR'S ran for two more weeks as NBC took off the CONCENTRATION reruns, but I consider Whitney to have replaced both of them.
[snapback]71052[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was wondering was Caesar a placeholder for any scheduled talk show that NBC had, but the aforementioned Jane Whitney was already in syndication, so I guess not.

You basically summed it all up, though...thanks. :-)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2005, 04:02:25 PM »
Did they even show any eps. with the first bonus game (unscramble the one word, with one letter added for each game you've won)? The only eps. I ever saw involved the five words in :30, which I think only lasted four months.

The first episode USA ran was the one where the new bonus game was introduced.  I always thought USA ran some episodes never aired on NBC, but when NBC increased it to two airings a day, the first one wasn't seen in my area and that's probably where some of those eps came from.  There was no goodbye on the final episode - I'm guessing cancellation came "between tapings".  USA did get to some episodes with the original bonus game towards the end of their run, but not too many before they dropped the show.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2005, 04:47:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 04:02 PM\']There was no goodbye on the final episode - I'm guessing cancellation came "between tapings".  [/quote]
I thought Jim came out, gave a goodbye; and had either the staff come on stage; or he read some stats about the show...I do recall reading that the last 5 minutes of the last $ale was preempted, however.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2005, 05:06:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 03:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 04:02 PM\']There was no goodbye on the final episode - I'm guessing cancellation came "between tapings".  [/quote]
I thought Jim came out, gave a goodbye; and had either the staff come on stage; or he read some stats about the show...I do recall reading that the last 5 minutes of the last $ale was preempted, however.
[snapback]71073[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are correct, however the subject now being bandied about on this thread has been diverted from the original $otC ("original" meaning topic of the thread, not meaning the Kelly/Garagiola version) to CAESAR'S CHALLENGE.  And I'm pretty sure Ian's right in that CC did not have a farewell episode (I'm almost inclined to think the last showings were reruns--but I could be wrong).

Jimmy made reference earlier to CAESAR'S being given two airings--we are talking about just the first two weeks of 1994, yes?

Doug
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 05:12:38 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 07:54:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 12 2005, 12:55 PM\']
As for CC lasting, wasn't it only a placeholder on NBC's schedule?
[/quote]

Scrabble/Scattergories hour were considered a placeholder for the John and Leeza talk show, but Caesar wasn't thought of as a placeholder.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »
Jimmy made reference earlier to CAESAR'S being given two airings--we are talking about just the first two weeks of 1994, yes?

Yes, during the first two weeks of 1994 NBC gave it two airings a day.  In most markets, they were 12 noon and 12:30.  My station only aired the 12:30 show.  As far as I can remember, they aired new episodes right up to the end.  There were weeks of reruns scattered among the NBC run though - just a guess, but maybe they couldn't get access to the showroom and had to stockpile some episodes before they could start running new episodes again.  USA aired every episode from the debut of the second bonus game right until the end, and then started from the beginning, but the show was dropped before the whole series could be rerun.
NEW LOCATION!!!

tyshaun1

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 13 2005, 08:56 AM\']weeks of reruns scattered among the NBC run though - just a guess, but maybe they couldn't get access to the showroom and had to stockpile some episodes before they could start running new episodes again. 
[snapback]71121[/snapback]
[/quote]
From what I remember, Caesars aired reruns for a month or so between August and September, and then returned with new episodes and the debut of their revised bonus game. It was similar to what you'd see for a syndicated series, which was how CC started out as in the first place.

Tyshaun

Ian Wallis

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2005, 01:47:11 PM »
From what I remember, Caesars aired reruns for a month or so between August and September, and then returned with new episodes and the debut of their revised bonus game. It was similar to what you'd see for a syndicated series, which was how CC started out as in the first place.

I always thought it was later for the new bonus game - like November - but you may be right.  

At the risk of turning this "Sale of the Century" thread into a "Caesar's Challenge" thread, there is an episode of the latter on the trade curcuit which some people think is an aired pilot.  It involves a different betting format for each word.  I think my copy is from a studio master.  I'm pretty sure this never aired on NBC, and am wondering if this is actually a syndicated episode.

Anyone know?
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2005, 10:09:03 PM »
At the risk of turning this "Sale of the Century" thread into a "Caesar's Challenge" thread, there is an episode of the latter on the trade curcuit which some people think is an aired pilot. It involves a different betting format for each word. I think my copy is from a studio master. I'm pretty sure this never aired on NBC, and am wondering if this is actually a syndicated episode.

It's prolly a pilot, since there was a female model who appeared, and the TVG ad for CC's debut featured her in the set pic therein.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")