Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Impossibilities...  (Read 10617 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 12:24:13 PM »
Wow.

Doug (don'tcha just love these one word posts?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 12:25:11 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
I am reminded of a clip I once saw, from back in the late 1970's when the rule was "less than $100 away". The first contestant was $30 off. Bob told her "you'll win both showcases unless [contestant #2] is closer." Sure enough, contestant #2 was, with a difference of $29.

That's one reason why I like the unusual-number bids.  If I ever got to the Showcase, I'd bid something like $xx,xx2 just to lessen the possibility of something like that happening.  I find it refreshing when somebody bids something like $23,467 on a showcase.  Years ago, Bob even mentioned duringIUFBs, that everybody always bids so "boringly" - or something to that effect - referring to the fact that most people will bid $650, 675, 700, etc.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 12:38:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 12:36 PM\']Years ago, Bob even mentioned duringIUFBs, that everybody always bids so "boringly" - or something to that effect - referring to the fact that most people will bid $650, 675, 700, etc.
[snapback]70032[/snapback]
[/quote]
Someone in Contestants' Row became my hero when instead of bidding $1 in the belief (which was correct) that the other three bids were over, he bid $69.
Don't recall the exact date or color scheme on the set, but stand by for Horanization.

ClockGameJohn

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 12:39:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 12:36 PM\']Years ago, Bob even mentioned duringIUFBs, that everybody always bids so "boringly" - or something to that effect - referring to the fact that most people will bid $650, 675, 700, etc.
[snapback]70032[/snapback]
[/quote]

Might sound boring, but statistically IUFB prices do end in round numbers like that.

Ian Wallis

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 12:43:53 PM »
I'm sure TPTB decide after the bids are in which one they want to reveal first for the best dramatic effect.

I had always thought that if the first reveal was OVER, then the second one always would be too.  If only one contestant was OVER, they'd always be revealed last.  Admittedly, I don't watch every single day, but this had always been the case whenever I'd seen this senario.  However, there was a show I saw not too long ago where the first reveal was OVER, and the second wasn't (I think they missed by several thousand dollars), so I kind of surprised they reversed the trend that day.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 12:48:09 PM »
Someone in Contestants' Row became my hero when instead of bidding $1 in the belief (which was correct) that the other three bids were over, he bid $69.
Don't recall the exact date or color scheme on the set, but stand by for Horanization.

There was a recent show where a lady bid $6 on an IUFB, and Bob made special mention of the fact that it was the first time anybody had ever bid $6!  IIRC, she didn't win, but did get up on stage later in the show.
NEW LOCATION!!!

ClockGameJohn

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 12:43 PM\']
I'm sure TPTB decide after the bids are in which one they want to reveal first for the best dramatic effect.

I had always thought that if the first reveal was OVER, then the second one always would be too.  If only one contestant was OVER, they'd always be revealed last.  Admittedly, I don't watch every single day, but this had always been the case whenever I'd seen this senario.  However, there was a show I saw not too long ago where the first reveal was OVER, and the second wasn't (I think they missed by several thousand dollars), so I kind of surprised they reversed the trend that day.
[snapback]70037[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dramatic effect is definately the norm.  OVER means nothing, since someone bid $80,000+ for a Showcase in Season 31 and it was clear she wasn't going to win.  There have been instances when the reveal wasn't so spectacular (too obvious), however generally they will do their best to build up the suspense.

BrandonFG

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 04:47 AM\']Here's another one:

You'll never have to worry about having 0 rolls in "Let 'Em Roll" because Bob says clearly that the player is garrunteed at least 1 ROLL of the 5 cubse.  But it's not impossible to roll ALL 5 cars on the cubes in that 1 roll though the odds are long at best.
[snapback]69971[/snapback]
[/quote]

But it's happened once or twice. I know it went down once last season, and Bob remarked that it had never happened. But someone on this board said it happened at least once before.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2005, 02:44:02 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 10:22 AM\']A contestant *could* however get no punches in Punch-A-Bunch, no prizes in Bonus Game, and no tag choices in Five Price Tags.
[/quote]
They would; however; promoptly be awarded a bowling buddy.

Using math; there is a 1:2 chance that each die will roll a "CAR". Your odds of winning the car are therefore 1:32...better odds of winning $7500; which is 1:7776?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 03:07:48 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 11:39 AM\'][A one-roll Let 'em Roll win has] happened once or twice. [/quote]
Well, solely from a mathematical standpoint, it should happen once every 32 playings, so that's not at all surprising.

I know it went down once last season, and Bob remarked that it had never happened. But someone on this board said it happened at least once before.
Gee, I wonder who...

[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 14 2004, 08:00 AM\']For only the second time in the game's five year history(and the second time in a row), a contestant gets five cars in their first roll in Let 'Em Roll on today's show. Bob and Roger say it's the first time that has happened. They must have forgotten the game's last playing where it happened(though in that case, one of the dice fell off the table and had to be re-rolled)
[snapback]45435[/snapback]
[/quote]

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 04:42:48 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 10:24 AM\']Wow.
Doug (don'tcha just love these one word posts?)
[snapback]70026[/snapback]
[/quote]
No need for more. You summed it up perfectly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 04:46:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 12:44 PM\']They would; however; promoptly be awarded a bowling buddy.
[/quote]
Don't speak for the Bowling Buddy Awards Committee like that.

A person simply having a run of bad luck can go 0-for 4 or 5. Such a feat might get a fake-ass Misplay Of The Day from one of our other members, but to receive the coveted Mah-Rone Du Jour requires a truly special effort. As in, short-yellow-bus special.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 05:35:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 04:46 PM\']A person simply having a run of bad luck can go 0-for 4 or 5.
[/quote]
Luck has nothing to do with not being able to tell whether a piece of merchandise is "Higher" or "Lower".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005, 07:33:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 11:08 AM\']
TTBOMK, there are at least three TPiR games where you can win something even without getting anything right:

The aforementioned "Let 'Em Roll" (guaranteed $500)
"Pass the Buck" (guaranteed one pick--yes, you could win nothing but you could also win the car without getting a single buck passed)
"Plinko" (guaranteed one chip--you could win $10,000 without getting a single digit correct)

[snapback]70007[/snapback]
[/quote]

A contestant can blow all three small prizes in SPelling Bee and still get one of the CAR cards with their two free cards. It's happened before.

A contestant can be way off on their guesses for all five products in Check-Out and still win as long as their total for all five guesses is within $2 high or low.

Kevin Prather

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2005, 08:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 04:33 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 11:08 AM\']
TTBOMK, there are at least three TPiR games where you can win something even without getting anything right:

The aforementioned "Let 'Em Roll" (guaranteed $500)
"Pass the Buck" (guaranteed one pick--yes, you could win nothing but you could also win the car without getting a single buck passed)
"Plinko" (guaranteed one chip--you could win $10,000 without getting a single digit correct)

[snapback]70007[/snapback]
[/quote]

A contestant can blow all three small prizes in SPelling Bee and still get one of the CAR cards with their two free cards. It's happened before.

A contestant can be way off on their guesses for all five products in Check-Out and still win as long as their total for all five guesses is within $2 high or low.
[snapback]70125[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which can actually be utilized. If you bid way under on a product, and you realize it before the end of the game, you can compensate.

In some cases, you can actually tell the difference between poor bidding and justification, but there are bound to be some people to throw around "misplays" either way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 08:03:08 PM by whoserman »