Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Impossibilities...  (Read 10692 times)

Shredder

TPIR Impossibilities...
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »
Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:52:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 11:49 PM\']Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?[/quote]
Bob covers for that possibility every day.

"IF you are the winner AND you are $250 or less away..."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:59:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:49 PM\']Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?
[snapback]69946[/snapback]
[/quote]

If both player miss their showcases by the same amount(without getting over) and said amount is $250 or less, then both players win both showcases. Bob joked once that if that happens, the show goes bankrupt and they go their separate ways

BrandonFG

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:49 PM\']Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?
[/quote]

If both player miss their showcases by the same amount(without getting over) and said amount is $250 or less, then both players win both showcases. Bob joked once that if that happens, the show goes bankrupt and they go their separate ways
[snapback]69948[/snapback]
[/quote]

And if it happens, we'll be sure to give you dibs on posting the spoiler. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 04:47:05 AM »
Here's another one:

You'll never have to worry about having 0 rolls in "Let 'Em Roll" because Bob says clearly that the player is garrunteed at least 1 ROLL of the 5 cubse.  But it's not impossible to roll ALL 5 cars on the cubes in that 1 roll though the odds are long at best.

Don Howard

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 07:11:27 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:49 PM\']Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?
[/quote]
If both player miss their showcases by the same amount(without getting over) and said amount is $250 or less, then both players win both showcases. Bob joked once that if that happens, the show goes bankrupt and they go their separate ways.
[/quote]
What day was it? What was Bob wearing that day? How many pricing games were won? What time was sunset in Fairbanks, Alaska that night? What'd I have for dinner?

tvwxman

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 08:33:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 04:47 AM\']Here's another one:

You'll never have to worry about having 0 rolls in "Let 'Em Roll" because Bob says clearly that the player is garrunteed at least 1 ROLL of the 5 cubse. 
[snapback]69971[/snapback]
[/quote]

No Friggin Kidding, Einstein.

And, you'll never have to worry about someone getting 11 chances to win a car on "Ten Chances". Because Bob says clearly that the game is called "Ten Chances".

GEEZ! Craig, think before you post!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

byrd62

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 09:54:34 AM »
I am reminded of a clip I once saw, from back in the late 1970's when the rule was "less than $100 away".  The first contestant was $30 off.  Bob told her "you'll win both showcases unless [contestant #2] is closer."  Sure enough, contestant #2 was, with a difference of $29.

CJBojangles

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 10:22:02 AM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:54 AM\']I am reminded of a clip I once saw, from back in the late 1970's when the rule was "less than $100 away".  The first contestant was $30 off.  Bob told her "you'll win both showcases unless [contestant #2] is closer."  Sure enough, contestant #2 was, with a difference of $29.
[snapback]69997[/snapback]
[/quote]

I, at that point, from showcase trends, would have infered that contestant #2 was the winner instantly, because otherwise they would have started with showcase bidder #2, and revealed the DSW with showcase bidder #1 second.  How long has this been the case? Has it always been a question of suspense whose total is revealed first? Is it at all?

[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 04:47 AM\']You'll never have to worry about having 0 rolls in "Let 'Em Roll" because Bob says clearly that the player is garrunteed at least 1 ROLL of the 5 cubse. But it's not impossible to roll ALL 5 cars on the cubes in that 1 roll though the odds are long at best.
[/quote]

A contestant *could* however get no punches in Punch-A-Bunch, no prizes in Bonus Game, and no tag choices in Five Price Tags.

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 10:55:16 AM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 11:22 AM\']I, at that point, from showcase trends, would have infered that contestant #2 was the winner instantly, because otherwise they would have started with showcase bidder #2, and revealed the DSW with showcase bidder #1 second.  How long has this been the case? Has it always been a question of suspense whose total is revealed first? Is it at all?[/quote]
Over on Usenet, somebody, I forget who (maybe even somebody who's still here with us) had something I think he called his $2000 Rule.  He said that if the first showcase bid they reveal is less than $2000 away, then the second one will be even closer.  His reasoning was exactly the same as yours above.

The nice thing about the reveal on the showcases is that it's not necessary to reveal the winner last, like it would be on Let's Make A Deal, for example.  I'm sure TPTB decide after the bids are in which one they want to reveal first for the best dramatic effect.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:22 AM\']A contestant *could* however get no punches in Punch-A-Bunch, no prizes in Bonus Game, and no tag choices in Five Price Tags.
[snapback]70001[/snapback]
[/quote]
TTBOMK, there are at least three TPiR games where you can win something even without getting anything right:

The aforementioned "Let 'Em Roll" (guaranteed $500)
"Pass the Buck" (guaranteed one pick--yes, you could win nothing but you could also win the car without getting a single buck passed)
"Plinko" (guaranteed one chip--you could win $10,000 without getting a single digit correct)

I do have a question about "Half Off"--do you still get to pick a box even if you don't pick any of the correct half off prices?  If so, that would be four.  There may be others.

And sorry, CJ, you just missed by one in our "race to 70,000 posts."  Better luck next time.  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:17:11 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 11:19:02 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 11:08 AM\']

I do have a question about "Half Off"--do you still get to pick a box even if you don't pick any of the correct half off prices?  If so, that would be four.  There may be others.

Doug
[snapback]70007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, you'd get to pick a box regardless.

You could eliminate the wrong boxes all three times in the now-retired Fortune Hunter and still end up with the box with the $5K in it.

sshuffield70

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 11:29:59 AM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 10:22 AM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:54 AM\']I am reminded of a clip I once saw, from back in the late 1970's when the rule was "less than $100 away".  The first contestant was $30 off.  Bob told her "you'll win both showcases unless [contestant #2] is closer."  Sure enough, contestant #2 was, with a difference of $29.
[/quote]

I, at that point, from showcase trends, would have infered that contestant #2 was the winner instantly, because otherwise they would have started with showcase bidder #2, and revealed the DSW with showcase bidder #1 second.  How long has this been the case? Has it always been a question of suspense whose total is revealed first? Is it at all?
[snapback]70001[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have a copy of that clip.  My thought is they could have easily started with the other player since they knew that they were both under $100.  Otherwise, for better effect, I'd go for the current DSW last.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 12:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:19 AM\']You could eliminate the wrong boxes all three times in the now-retired Fortune Hunter and still end up with the box with the $5K in it.
[snapback]70009[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hey, Zach, why don't you give us the complete list of retired pricing games that also share this characteristic? You know you're aching to do it. In fact, I'd like you to do it in binary ASCII. Should take a month or so. Get to work.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSWitch

TPIR Impossibilities...
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 12:19:37 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 09:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 10:49 PM\']Is TPIR Prepaired for the day when BOTH contestants are within 100$'s of their showcase bid?  Anyone know if there is a rule for the unlikley event that this would happen?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I could just imagine that happening!  One contestant (Larry) would win $10,000 on Grand Game while another contestant (Betty) wins Triple Play, then both Larry & Betty win $11,000 as well.  What would you have along with Larry & Betty winning BOTH SHOWCASES, TWO GRAND SLAMS!