Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst network commissary  (Read 6997 times)

bricon

Worst network commissary
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2003, 12:06:50 PM »
What about in New York, especially 30 Rock (I bet they have better food than Burbank)?

NBC NY commisary I remember having low ceilings, and a real greasy spoon smell in the place.  The food at NBC Burbank was better in my opinion.

tvrandywest

Worst network commissary
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 03:41:08 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jul 26 2003, 11:06 AM\'] NBC NY commisary I remember having low ceilings, and a real greasy spoon smell in the place.  The food at NBC Burbank was better in my opinion. [/quote]
 Brian,

I thought for sure you would comment on the HS food!

You're right about \"Enbece\" (pronounced NBC). That's what they named that NY greasy spoon just before Carson left 30 Rock. It was up on the 7th floor straight down the center hallway from the elevators, and on the left. And yes Brian, the ceilings were low, the place smelled, and it was noisy from all the chatter and the monitors blaring WNBC.

Hell, with the exception of the studios that encompass two stories it's a depression era office building. I can't imagine how they vented the grill from the middle of the 7th floor of a 50+ story building!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

bricon

Worst network commissary
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2003, 06:35:02 PM »
I thought for sure you would comment on the HS food!

I would have, but the talk of NBC NY commissary spoiled my appetite :)

The HS food is indeed good, and it's all too easy to eat dinner for lunch...must remember to skip the real dinner a few times this year.

trainman

Worst network commissary
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2003, 10:59:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 09:47 PM\'] Question: So; besides being a contestant or an employee; is there any other way to gain access? [/quote]
 Well, in my case, I sent someone some scans for his web site; he turned out to be a Sony employee, and he invited me to lunch to thank me.

Now, this has absolutely no connection to game shows:  I've also eaten at the mediocre commissary at NBC in Chicago (called the Peacock Cafe, if I recall correctly), but that was because I sat through two tapings of \"Jerry Springer\"...in 1992, back when it was a generic, semi-respectable daytime talk show.
trainman is a man of trains

Brakus

Worst network commissary
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2003, 03:13:00 AM »
Actually, when I was there for my Pyramid taping last November, those of us that were remaining for lunchtime ordered in some tasty Mexican food. Pretty good soft tacos and some good nachos, too, if memory serves me correctly.

(Speaking of my Pyramid taping, my episode will be rebroadcast as the primary episode this coming Wednesday, July 30. Shane Elsberry's episode airs this coming Monday also.)
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

ChuckNet

Worst network commissary
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2003, 05:10:12 PM »
Now, this has absolutely no connection to game shows: I've also eaten at the mediocre commissary at NBC in Chicago (called the Peacock Cafe, if I recall correctly), but that was because I sat through two tapings of \"Jerry Springer\"...in 1992, back when it was a generic, semi-respectable daytime talk show.

Actually, it has a connection...Springer did 2 wks of HS (once in Jul. 99 and again this past season), and hosted the short-lived UK version of Greed (did a good job, too).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

tvrandywest

Worst network commissary
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2003, 06:48:50 PM »
And here's a Springer-ism few know. The disgraced former mayor hosted the first US pilot for \"Fear Factor\"!

The show had the working title \"Now or Never - Face Your Fears\". International reality TV mogul John DeMol (Endemol Prods.) was present with his UK posse, as was the pilot's US producer Phil Gurin and staff. Jerry Springer made sense as a host by virtue of his well-known name, but was out of his element.

We taped at Hollywood Center Studios one evening in January, 2000 (I did warm-up). We were next door to that short-lived Dick Clark hosted CBS thing... that was \"Winning Lines\", wasn't it?

The format had the fearful folks sitting in the audience having been brought to the taping by a relative or friend, but unaware that they were to be part of the show. As I remember, some of the fears being faced included some woman being buried alive in a coffin, a guy who was phobic about dentists having his teeth (almost) worked on, a lady in the middle of a big fire, and some fool crawling through a maze filled with rats.

Come to think of it, that last stunt sounds like my career!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 06:53:45 PM by tvrandywest »

zachhoran

Worst network commissary
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2003, 08:24:41 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jul 26 2003, 09:59 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 25 2003, 09:47 PM\'] Question: So; besides being a contestant or an employee; is there any other way to gain access? [/quote]
Well, in my case, I sent someone some scans for his web site; he turned out to be a Sony employee, and he invited me to lunch to thank me.

Now, this has absolutely no connection to game shows:  I've also eaten at the mediocre commissary at NBC in Chicago (called the Peacock Cafe, if I recall correctly), but that was because I sat through two tapings of "Jerry Springer"...in 1992, back when it was a generic, semi-respectable daytime talk show. [/quote]
 NBC(WMAQ the call letters) in Chicago was also the home of the 90s comedy improv quasi game-show Kwik Witz IIRC.

ChuckNet

Worst network commissary
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2003, 12:20:13 PM »
And here's a Springer-ism few know. The disgraced former mayor hosted the first US pilot for \"Fear Factor\"!

I thought I'd read that back on ATGS...thanks for the clarification. And while I'm no fan of Springer's talk show, I think he might have made a better host than Joe Rogan.

Chuck Donegan (The Grateful \"Chuckie Baby\")

tvrandywest

Worst network commissary
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2003, 12:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 28 2003, 11:20 AM\'] I thought I'd read that back on ATGS [/quote]
 Yes, I'm in summer reruns!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

Worst network commissary
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2003, 02:00:12 PM »
According to my old TV Guides, that show, under the title \"Now or Never\" made it to the air on Fox on 7/28/2000 at 9pm eastern.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.