Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Is Going Down The Tube  (Read 4112 times)

johnnyd1788

GSN Is Going Down The Tube
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:54:38 AM »
OK, people. I know you are complaining about shows you loved not on GSN. A lot of it is stuff they have aired. I can see why you want it back. But one phrase I continually hear is:
"GSN is going down the tube."
GSN IS going down, but not down a tube. Think about the analogy for a minute. Going down a tube means going down nice and orderly and can be retreaved very easily (by having it sucked out basically). I think the best way to say this phrase is:
"GSN is falling."
Now think about THAT analogy. If something is just falling down without some kind of device, it means it is spreading  apart and it harder to retreave than down a tube.
Basically, I am trying to say that GSN is falling and it is harder to retreave what they once were. I am on your side, but complaining about it on a message board not even related to GSN or even a message board is not helping. GSN has their own new approach and you need to accept that. I am tired of going through posts that are of people complaining that their favorite game show isn't on.
And while your at it, think about how life was before GSN went on the air. No one was able to even SEE their favorite classic game show before this network. I think this is being selfish and wanting more of something you take advantage of.
I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but you guys are my friends and I just wanted to get my opinion out to my friends.
Thank you. Punch and cookies are available in the lobby. ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 12:55:00 AM by johnnyd1788 »

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 01:31:46 AM »
1. Your point that complaining about GSN's schedule probably won't be very successful has merit.  However, your point is undermined by the fact that based on a quick search, no one actually has said "GSN is going down the tube" -- or "tubes," for that matter -- on this forum.

2. Furthermore, "going down the tube(s)" is not an analogy.  It is an idiom, and trying to attack its use with your "it's not really like a tube" argument just undermines your point even further.

3. Finally, when you go after people for "complaining about it on a message board not even related to GSN," it would help if you didn't do so on a board that is related to GSN... or didn't you notice the name of the specific board where you posted your "analysis"?

Methinks someone saw "GSN is going down the tube" on another board and, for reasons we probably don't want to know, decided to respond here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 01:33:04 AM by dzinkin »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 01:44:48 AM »
Johnny, I think I understand what you're saying, but I think you're forgetting that before GSN came along, USA, FAM and to a lesser extent, Lifetime, TNN and the three networks would air game shows in the daytime.  When GSN started, I get the feeling the other nets abandoned game shows because GSN supposedly would be the "one-stop" for such programming, but there were game shows before GSN and I was quite content to watch USA and FAM.  So GSN cornered the market on game shows but they utilize only a small part of their inventory. Another way to put it would be if you knew there were other people who could anchor Entertainment news shows, but the only one you could see is Pat O'Brien.  You know Todd Newton, Mary Hart, Leeza Gibbons and Bob Goen were out there, but the only face they would let you see is Pat O'Brien's.  Wouldn't that sour you to watching Entertainment news shows?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:04:49 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 04:44:21 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' date=\'Dec 30 2004, 12:54 AM\']OK, people. I know you are complaining about shows you loved not on GSN. A lot of it is stuff they have aired. I can see why you want it back. But one phrase I continually hear is[/quote]
Funny, I see very few complaints about GSN's programming.
"Thank you. Punch and cookies are available in the lobby. ;)
Most of us grew past ice cream castles long ago, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 04:46:00 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 08:09:17 AM »
If something is just falling down without some kind of device, it means it is spreading  apart and it harder to retreave than down a tube.
Basically, I am trying to say that GSN is falling and it is harder to retreave what they once were. I am on your side, but complaining about it on a message board not even related to GSN or even a message board is not helping. GSN has their own new approach and you need to accept that. I am tired of going through posts that are of people complaining that their favorite game show isn't on.
And while your at it, think about how life was before GSN went on the air. No one was able to even SEE their favorite classic game show before this network. I think this is being selfish and wanting more of something you take advantage of.
I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but you guys are my friends and I just wanted to get my opinion out to my friends.
Thank you. Punch and cookies are available in the lobby. ;)
[snapback]69120[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree. Good post. On the GSN board this year there really was a post clamimg how the network would 'do a lot better' today by running 'Hot Potato' in prime time.

In the words of Jack Parr, "I kid you not.'

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 10:23:15 AM »
GSN still has some good stuff on it. The VCR just isn't crankin' on it big time anymore. I find the tape rolling on GoodLife TV much more often.
ObGoodLifeTV Game Shows: Hawaiian Eye announcer Dick Tufeld did the VO for the Wheel Of Fortune commercials during the early syndication years. He also, according to the encyclopedia, announced on Celebrity Sweepstakes, though I never remember him doing so.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:25:02 AM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 01:04:39 PM »
ObGoodLifeTV Game Shows: Hawaiian Eye announcer Dick Tufeld did the VO for the Wheel Of Fortune commercials during the early syndication years. He also, according to the encyclopedia, announced on Celebrity Sweepstakes, though I never remember him doing so.

I'm not sure if the encyclopedia says so or not (I don't have it in front of me), but Dick Tufeld was also the announcer on "Don Adams Screen Test", which most would classify as a game show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »
What continues to amaze me is that people are still equating "going down the tubes" with "not showing programs we like".

As has been mentioned countless times, GSN as a network is more stable, more secure and more successful than it has ever, ever been.  I completely understand the feeling that they're going *away* from the programming that we enjoy, but to equate that with failure is simply not true.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

melman1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 06:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 11:31 PM\']no one actually has said "GSN is going down the tube" -- or "tubes," for that matter -- on this forum.[/quote]

No doubt the OP was referring to comments made on GSN's boards or some other less "adult" forum.  Where it's quite common to abuse analogies, idioms, metaphors, similes, and other elements of everyday English with precious little regard to what the phrases might actually mean - in misguided efforts to sound more adult, educated, non-challenged, or what have you.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.