Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ultimate Jeopardy"  (Read 25925 times)

TunaHead

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 11:55:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:10 AM\'][quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 02:55 AM\']Now as for the above quote.. I've been searching the AP and the major media outlets all night, and IF, and I use that term LOOSELY, it did break at 4pm on the west, it would have hit AP by now, and would have at least made Top Entertainment News, if not Top Stories. Nothing. Not a thing at all. And I can't even find anything other than here and on Steve's site. So there is no outside verification on this story at all.[/quote]
The initial poster said he saw the story on the ABC affiliate in Los Angeles.  Two of us (myself included) confirm it without going into details.  Steve posts a story that was clearly taken from a press release, including attributed quotes from Jennings, Trebek and Friedman.  And yet you express your doubt not once, not twice, but three times?

A healthy skepticism is one thing, this borders on denial.
[snapback]68996[/snapback]
[/quote]

Matt.. I hate to be the voice of dissent on this, but it did NOT hit the AP wire until about 8:15 this morning. The news was not posted from an accredited source that I could find. I personally do not get my daily news off of a message board, or through word of mouth. I choose to take my news from accredited sources that have been shown reliable throughout many many years.

Steve's site posted it, but as we all remember, he also posted the Pyramid debacle a while back, as well as a Price blunder on MDS's not too long ago, not to mention the other small blunders. I for one, see through the bible stance that media outlets have known him by, only by the Jeopardy fiasco. Many of us know the site for more than just that. And as for a press release... Usually a release as such would be either posted on Jep's site, or the production company, neither of which had it posted.

ABC7 in LA did NOT have the story on their site at all, at least last time I checked at 8AM this morning. So as for that, I don't know what to say. You would think if a story that big were to break, they would have at least posted it on their website.

So you tell me. Given the information, if you did not know about the scenario beforehand, would you be reluctant to keep a thread as such up, not being able to confirmed the report through a major source?

Matt Ottinger

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2004, 12:33:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:55 PM\']Matt.. I hate to be the voice of dissent on this, but it did NOT hit the AP wire until about 8:15 this morning. The news was not posted from an accredited source that I could find. I personally do not get my daily news off of a message board, or through word of mouth. I choose to take my news from accredited sources that have been shown reliable throughout many many years. [/quote]
No, my impression is that you actually take great delight in being the voice of dissent on this.  Waiting for a source that satisfies your mindset is one thing.  Actively assuming the information to be false because your source hasn't reported it yet is what I have a problem with.

You're new here, so you don't know yet how seriously we take false or even unfounded rumors.  The original poster said what his source was.  The guy before you told you he was reading from the press release!  I don't know what you're used to at Golden Road, but around here, someone who is that specific and is lying about it doesn't stay a member very long.

Also, you don't mean "accredited".  The AP isn't licensed by the National Bureau of Reliable Sources.  You merely mean "credible".  Telling one of the moderators (as well as three other valued members) that you don't find his information credible is perhaps not the right foot to start out on around here.

Finally, and not incidentally, you were wrong.

So anyway, welcome to the Game Show Forum.  You are going to get a lot of information here ahead of the AP or other mainstream sources. You're also going to get information that the AP doesn't even bother to report.   Ultimately, I'm not all that concerned whether you'll believe it or not.  But if you're going to make a big deal about NOT believing everything that we have before Steve or the AP does, you're going to be very busy, and more than a little annoying.  And the vast majority of the time, you'll be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 12:35:40 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

OntarioQuizzer

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:55 PM\']Steve's site posted it, but as we all remember, he also posted the Pyramid debacle a while back, as well as a Price blunder on MDS's not too long ago, not to mention the other small blunders. I for one, see through the bible stance that media outlets have known him by, only by the Jeopardy fiasco.
[snapback]69008[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hate to be the voice of dissention on this, but Steve's site was probably the only outlet on the continent that did not report on Ken Jennings' defeat until after it happened!

I also have the utmost confidence in Matt and Chris that had the information been false, the poster would have been dealt with seriously. So, why does Steve (or) anyone have to report it if we have our own credible sources confirming the reports?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 01:08:10 PM »
Tunahead, I understand your skepticism, but given Matt O.'s stature around here, I'd take his word as gold (and that details would emerge soon enough).

Let me go the other way for a moment as far as a "breaking story" goes.  I actually knew of GSN's plans for their 3/15/04 rebranding and doing away with a lot of shows about two months or so before the info was publicized.  My mother works in an ad agency and representatives from GSN came to her office to pitch their future plans (Mom saved for me a hard-to-read fax with names of the new shows).  This obviously wasn't for public consumption (not even here), and I didn't want to jeopardize any potential relationship between GSN and my mother's agency by going public (I grappled with the question of whether to E-mail our moderators what I knew before opting against it because I didn't want to take any chances--I hope Chris and Matt [David was not yet a moderator at that point] aren't mad at me for doing so, but I also supposed that they'd find out in some other way, shape or form).

Point being--the story of GSN rebranding was major (in the grand scheme of this board) but wouldn't be picked up by any of the media outlets until the appropriate point in time.  If I had violated the trust and posted something about it, some might've believed me while others might not have (even though I knew it was true).  But eventually details would come out.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 01:11:51 PM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:51 PM\'][quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:55 PM\']Steve's site posted it, but as we all remember, he also posted the Pyramid debacle a while back, as well as a Price blunder on MDS's not too long ago, not to mention the other small blunders. I for one, see through the bible stance that media outlets have known him by, only by the Jeopardy fiasco.
[snapback]69008[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hate to be the voice of dissention on this, but Steve's site was probably the only outlet on the continent that did not report on Ken Jennings' defeat until after it happened!

I also have the utmost confidence in Matt and Chris that had the information been false, the poster would have been dealt with seriously. So, why does Steve (or) anyone have to report it if we have our own credible sources confirming the reports?
[snapback]69015[/snapback]
[/quote]
Having personally revoked the posting privileges of the last person who felt it necessary to post "news" without regard to either the accuracy of the information or the credibility of the source, I can attest to the fact that we deal with such matters seriously.

I might also note that earlier this year, one of the AP's political reporters filed a story claiming that at a rally for President Bush, Bush's supporters booed at the announcement of former President Clinton's hospitalization and that "Bush did nothing to stop them."  The story was false -- there was no booing -- and the AP reporter who was at the rally had earlier said outright that his "mission" was to make sure that Bush didn't win re-election.  I'd sooner trust many of the fine folks on this board than I'd trust the AP... particularly when it comes to game show news.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:23:19 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 01:59:52 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:57 AM\']WOW!! Now this is how you hold an all-time tournament! American Idol, eat your heart out. Anyway, do you think the finals of this tourney will be held in New York or something of that variety like the first one?
[snapback]68995[/snapback]
[/quote]
Absolutely. Because New York is the center of the universe. Ask any New Yorker. They'll tell you.

*mutter*
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2004, 03:37:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 01:59 PM\'][quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:57 AM\']WOW!! Now this is how you hold an all-time tournament! American Idol, eat your heart out. Anyway, do you think the finals of this tourney will be held in New York or something of that variety like the first one?
[snapback]68995[/snapback]
[/quote]
Absolutely. Because New York is the center of the universe. Ask any New Yorker. They'll tell you.

*mutter*
[snapback]69033[/snapback]
[/quote]

And besides, for something this long I have the feeling they'll stick in Culver City for the whole thing, rather than try to move it elsewhere--probably cuts down on the spoiler factor, too.

zachhoran

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2004, 07:36:48 PM »
15 weeks of additional special shows this season really will piss off the contestant pool, as the number of contestant spots will decrease by 150 due to this tournament. This assumes they don't bother with the Teen tourney or celeb week or second Kids' week, delete those four weeks of special shows and it's still 110 contestant spots decreased.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 07:38:11 PM by zachhoran »

goongas

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2004, 08:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 08:36 PM\']15 weeks of additional special shows this season really will piss off the contestant pool, as the number of contestant spots will decrease by 150 due to this tournament. This assumes they don't bother with the Teen tourney or celeb week or second Kids' week, delete those four weeks of special shows and it's still 110 contestant spots decreased.
[snapback]69071[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I passed the test in June, I say it's too bad for me.  I, nor anyone else, has a Constitutional right to be on a game show.  It is their show, they can pick whoever they want.  They have an obligation to put the best show they can in order to get maximum ratings.  If they feel this will do it, more power to them.  (I don't think the ratings will change too much except for the final shows of the tournament).

Kevin Prather

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2004, 08:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 05:36 PM\']I, nor anyone else, has a Constitutional right to be on a game show.
[snapback]69077[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is to say..."Not I, nor anyone else, has a Constitutional right to be on a game show." Right?

starcade

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2004, 09:06:57 PM »
It's what J! had to do after the Ken-run.

My biggest PROBLEM with this is that they can't top it.  Once they do this, they really run a risk of J! becoming obsolete.

starcade

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2004, 09:08:45 PM »
As far as the contestant pool is concerned, I just don't see what they can do with all the Ken-mania around.  I certainly would not want Ken in another ToC after this situation, though.

I just think that they had to do this, and people are just going to have to live with the results as far as being in the pool is concerned.

tvwxman

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2004, 09:16:25 PM »
Another question...will they be doing this in lieu of a ToC with Ken in the Fall?

I mean, after a $2Mil competition with him, where he has a one in 3 shot at the megabucks, what's the point of a $250K tourney where he has a 1 in 15 shot at a lot less?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2004, 09:21:20 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 05:36 PM\']I, nor anyone else, has a Constitutional right to be on a game show.
[snapback]69077[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is to say..."Not I, nor anyone else, has a Constitutional right to be on a game show." Right?
[snapback]69081[/snapback]
[/quote]
Isn't it "Neither I, nor anyone else?"

:-)

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2004, 09:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 09:16 PM\']Another question...will they be doing this in lieu of a ToC with Ken in the Fall?

I mean, after a $2Mil competition with him, where he has a one in 3 shot at the megabucks, what's the point of a $250K tourney where he has a 1 in 15 shot at a lot less?
[snapback]69085[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will there even BE a regular TofC next Fall? Clearly they won't have 13(if Ken is a part of it, and Kermin the college champ is a part of it) or 14 champions who have won four or more games(they've had only one three time champ in the four weeks since Ken lost), with all these weeks of regular games being taken up by this tourney. I don't see a regular TofC happening until May 2006 at the earliest.