Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ultimate Jeopardy"  (Read 25923 times)

Don Howard

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
Color me skeptical but it seems way too soon to be retapping into The Ken Jennings Well. And for a tournament that is to last in excess of three months? Sorry. The ol' spider sense is tingling on this one. I'll be happy to be mistaken. We shall see what we shall see when we see it.

Robert Hutchinson

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 11:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 11:03 PM\']Color me skeptical but it seems way too soon to be retapping into The Ken Jennings Well. And for a tournament that is to last in excess of three months? Sorry. The ol' spider sense is tingling on this one. I'll be happy to be mistaken. We shall see what we shall see when we see it.[/quote]

I think the producers are just afraid that people will forget who Ken is if they wait too long. I would sincerely hope that this means Ken will not be participating in a traditional ToC, though. (No offense to him, of course.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

OntarioQuizzer

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 11:10:47 PM »
Here's all I can think of:

48 sixteenths = 144 players
16 eights = 48 winners
6 quarters = 18 players (16 winners + Spangenberg + Forrest)
2 semis = 6 winners
3 game final
= 75 shows

Or:

3 game Final: 2 players + Ken
2 semis: 6 players
6 quarters: 18 players (9 winners + 9 new)
9 eights: 27 players (15 winners + 12 new)
15 16ths: 45 players (40 winners + 5 new)
40 32nds: 120 players
= 75 shows

(By "new", I mean players that got "byes" to that specific round)

I also figure the field is 146 challengers (hence the "almost 150" in the news report)...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:24:11 PM by OntarioQuizzer »

TheInquisitiveOne

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 12:44:13 AM »
For those of you who wonder if Steve jumped on it already, here you go.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

TunaHead

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 12:58:33 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:44 AM\']For those of you who wonder if Steve jumped on it already, here you go.

The Inquisitive One
[snapback]68976[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, like this means anything at all... We'll see what happens with this. At this point, I'd be willing to bet it disappears by tomorrow without any reason.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 01:23:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 12:58 AM\']Yeah, like this means anything at all... We'll see what happens with this. At this point, I'd be willing to bet it disappears by tomorrow without any reason.
[snapback]68977[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow.
This made me chuckle, and I don't know why; except maybe the fact he's only been registered a month...and already figured out Steve is usually full of....generic brand beef stew.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:24:25 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 01:37:35 AM »
This is legitimate; Beverly is pulling verbatim from a press release that went out to media fairly late today. I'm sitting here looking at it.

An excerpt: "Invited to compete in the tournament will be all previous winners of Jeopardy!'s annual Tournament of Champions, College Championship and Teen Tournament, and over 100 of the top-scoring, undefeated, five-time champions in the show's 21-year history. Nearly 150 players will compete in a series of games which will narrow the field to two players, who will compete against Jennings in the finals, to air in May 2005."

Wish I was doing a story on this instead of the local stuff.

- CA -

TunaHead

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 01:55:59 AM »
[quote name=\'CoreyArcher\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 01:37 AM\']
Wish I was doing a story on this instead of the local stuff.

[snapback]68981[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I may be only registered here for a month, but I've been with GR over a year now.. I know the ropes! :-)

Now as for the above quote.. I've been searching the AP and the major media outlets all night, and IF, and I use that term LOOSELY, it did break at 4pm on the west, it would have hit AP by now, and would have at least made Top Entertainment News, if not Top Stories. Nothing. Not a thing at all. And I can't even find anything other than here and on Steve's site. So there is no outside verification on this story at all.

AZAndrewG

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2004, 04:28:58 AM »
I have a great idea for a title of this tournament...

[font=\"Impact\"]WIN KEN JENNINGS' MONEY![/font]

I think it'll sell.  :)

Andrew M. Greenstein
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

mmb5

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 09:03:33 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 01:55 AM\']

Yes, I may be only registered here for a month, but I've been with GR over a year now.. I know the ropes! :-)

Now as for the above quote.. I've been searching the AP and the major media outlets all night, and IF, and I use that term LOOSELY, it did break at 4pm on the west, it would have hit AP by now, and would have at least made Top Entertainment News, if not Top Stories. Nothing. Not a thing at all. And I can't even find anything other than here and on Steve's site. So there is no outside verification on this story at all.
[snapback]68982[/snapback]
[/quote]

Proof #1: I've seen the paperwork players had to do.  

Proof #2: Here's ABC's story, which is from AP.  I believe there was an embargo on the story until this morning.

Since it has broke, here's the format.  This may be subject to change based on player availability/and or my failing memory:

First round: 135 players play over 9 weeks.  Losers take home $5K.

Second round: The 45 winners from round 1 plus 9 players who were given byes into round 2.  Losers take home $15K.

Third round: The 18 winners play.  Losers take home $25K or $50K (I can't remember which).

Fourth round: The 6 winners play.  Losers take home $50K or $100K (I can't remember which).

Fifth round: The 2 winners vs. Ken in a three-game final.  Third place gets $250K, second place gets $500K and the winner gets $2M.

What was unclear to me is whether a first round winner gets to keep accumulated money or simply earns what the loss limit was for the round they eventually lost.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

zachhoran

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2004, 09:17:19 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 09:03 AM\']

What was unclear to me is whether a first round winner gets to keep accumulated money or simply earns what the loss limit was for the round they eventually lost.

--Mike
[snapback]68991[/snapback]
[/quote]

Players in other tournaments don't keep the dollars earned in the maingame until the final(augmented to whatever the minimum amounts are/were for second and third place in the final when needed).

bandit_bobby

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2004, 09:57:18 AM »
WOW!! Now this is how you hold an all-time tournament! American Idol, eat your heart out. Anyway, do you think the finals of this tourney will be held in New York or something of that variety like the first one?

Matt Ottinger

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2004, 10:10:31 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 02:55 AM\']Now as for the above quote.. I've been searching the AP and the major media outlets all night, and IF, and I use that term LOOSELY, it did break at 4pm on the west, it would have hit AP by now, and would have at least made Top Entertainment News, if not Top Stories. Nothing. Not a thing at all. And I can't even find anything other than here and on Steve's site. So there is no outside verification on this story at all.[/quote]
The initial poster said he saw the story on the ABC affiliate in Los Angeles.  Two of us (myself included) confirm it without going into details.  Steve posts a story that was clearly taken from a press release, including attributed quotes from Jennings, Trebek and Friedman.  And yet you express your doubt not once, not twice, but three times?

A healthy skepticism is one thing, this borders on denial.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Lemonjello

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 10:22:25 AM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 02:55 AM\']I've been searching the AP and the major media outlets all night
[/quote]

Try Google News. It searches 4,500 news sources at one time.

GS Warehouse

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 10:26:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 10:10 AM\']The initial poster said he saw the story on the ABC affiliate in Los Angeles.  Two of us (myself included) confirm it without going into details.  Steve posts a story that was clearly taken from a press release, including attributed quotes from Jennings, Trebek and Friedman. ...
[snapback]68996[/snapback]
[/quote]
Personally, I prefer to see it on Yahoo! News.  Sure enough, here it is.

Generic brand beef stew?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:27:32 AM by GS Warehouse »