Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ultimate Jeopardy"  (Read 25749 times)

joshg

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« on: December 28, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »
ABC 7 in L.A. 'breaks' the news that Ken and past champions will compete in a 15 week 'ultimate' tourney to find the absolute best Jeopardy! player ever. Top prize - $2 million. The games will start in February and conclude in May.

Wow, sweep to sweep. What a concept!

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

cmjb13

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 07:47:27 PM »
Well the staff would be complete idiots not to find a way to bring him back.

I like this idea better than having Ken face people who gave him the most competition.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ClockGameJohn

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 07:50:48 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 07:47 PM\']I like this idea better than having Ken face people who gave him the most competition.
[snapback]68919[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm sure at least one person here doesn't.  ;-)

zachhoran

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 07:57:27 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 07:44 PM\']ABC 7 in L.A. 'breaks' the news that Ken and past champions will compete in a 15 week 'ultimate' tourney to find the absolute best Jeopardy! player ever. Top prize - $2 million. The games will start in February and conclude in May.

Josh
[snapback]68915[/snapback]
[/quote]

Any word on how the format will work.

OntarioQuizzer

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:44 PM\']ABC 7 in L.A. 'breaks' the news that Ken and past champions will compete in a 15 week 'ultimate' tourney to find the absolute best Jeopardy! player ever. Top prize - $2 million. The games will start in February and conclude in May.

Josh
[snapback]68915[/snapback]
[/quote]

Linkage?

GS Warehouse

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 08:16:44 PM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:07 PM\']Linkage?
[snapback]68924[/snapback]
[/quote]
The addy for KABC Channel 7 in L.A. is abc7.com.  However, I did a search for "ultimate jeopardy" on that site and the first headline to come out is "Saddam Hussein deserves 'Ultimate Penalty'".

(BTW, Andy, I thought One-Word-Post day wasn't until January 8--the anniversary of P+'s debut. :-D)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 08:18:43 PM by GS Warehouse »

joshg

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 08:24:10 PM »
No link yet... it was broadcast on their 4PM news. I checked the website to post a link and I didn't see any. Alex mentioned that 150 past players will be funneled down to Ken and 2 other players. Last place $$$ is $250,000, 2nd place gets $500,000.

I'm sure the story will show up somewhere on their website...

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

SplitSecond

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 08:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 06:24 PM\']No link yet... it was broadcast on their 4PM news. I checked the website to post a link and I didn't see any. Alex mentioned that 150 past players will be funneled down to Ken and 2 other players. Last place $$$ is $250,000, 2nd place gets $500,000.
[/quote]
I wish I was given a guaranteed berth in a tournament final where I could walk away with no less than a quarter mil.

I'm glad I'm not one of the other 150.

zachhoran

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 08:58:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 06:24 PM\']No link yet... it was broadcast on their 4PM news. I checked the website to post a link and I didn't see any. Alex mentioned that 150 past players will be funneled down to Ken and 2 other players. Last place $$$ is $250,000, 2nd place gets $500,000.
[/quote]
I wish I was given a guaranteed berth in a tournament final where I could walk away with no less than a quarter mil.

[snapback]68935[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHo would one pick for the two players most likely to challenge Ken in that final game?

OntarioQuizzer

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 09:03:56 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 09:58 PM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 06:24 PM\']No link yet... it was broadcast on their 4PM news. I checked the website to post a link and I didn't see any. Alex mentioned that 150 past players will be funneled down to Ken and 2 other players. Last place $$$ is $250,000, 2nd place gets $500,000.
[/quote]

[snapback]68935[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHo would one pick for the two players most likely to challenge Ken in that final game?
[snapback]68936[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd wait to see the full field myself before picking, personally...

mmb5

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 09:30:53 PM »
Since I was sworn to secrecy, I'll give it in a math problem.   Ken needs two opponents.  Those two opponents won their games against four other opponents.  Those other four opponents also won a game at some point.  Using this information, how many players will be needed to fill 75 shows?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Don Howard

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 10:00:15 PM »
Hmmm. Three full months where the contestants are playing for points--not for dollars. This would then be going longer than 1986's All-American Scrabble Tournament.
I thought the Jeopardy! web site might have something on this. Stosh's Place has nothing, either, but maybe he's waiting for confirmation from cbs.com

TunaHead

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 10:11:53 PM »
Why do I get this gut feeling I smell a major dud story here? I've searched high and low on the net to no avail. And 15 weeks? That sounds vaguely familiar to an idea posted on here...

But soon, I bet someone high up in the realm will pick up on this as true news... I'm just waiting for it...

Matt Ottinger

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 11:00 PM\']I thought the Jeopardy! web site might have something on this. Stosh's Place has nothing, either, but maybe he's waiting for confirmation from cbs.com[/quote]
This is yet another one of those times when our own members are ahead of the curve on a breaking story.    I too have been sworn to secrecy (strangely, by two different sources...), but I'm sure all the details will come out soon enough.  I see huge plusses and huge potential minuses for the stunt, and there will be plenty of opportunity for us to discuss them all between now and...whenever.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Robert Hutchinson

"Ultimate Jeopardy"
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 10:57:09 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 28 2004, 09:30 PM\']Since I was sworn to secrecy, I'll give it in a math problem.   Ken needs two opponents.  Those two opponents won their games against four other opponents.  Those other four opponents also won a game at some point.  Using this information, how many players will be needed to fill 75 shows?[/quote]

Not enough information. With an extremely high number of wild card slots in the early rounds, I get a possible field as low as 57. There may be a lower possible number--I just added brackets in reverse, each bracket letting all but three players advance until the quarter-finals, and then tacked on players to get to a round 75 shows at the end/beginning.

Changing the number of wild cards gives lots and lots of different possible answers.

No wild cards means either that some games will have a number of players other than 3, or that some game winners will not advance to the next round(s), AFAICT.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin