Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jungle Gardenia Remembered  (Read 5856 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jungle Gardenia Remembered
« on: July 24, 2003, 05:33:22 AM »
If you're old enough to remember when Bob Barker's Truth or Consequences contestants received Jungle Gardenia perfume by Tuvache you can probably contribute to this list. Below are some of the \"standard\" prizes that seemed to be ubiquitous on so many game and quiz shows of the fifites:

Jungle Gardenia perfume by Tuvache
My Sin perfume by Lanvin
Puritron air purifiers
Evinrude outboard motors
Anything from Michael C. Fina
Carpet from the looms of Mohawk
The Spiegel Catalog (obviously the catalog itself was not the prize)
The World Book encyclopedia

What can you add?

joshg

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 06:46:59 AM »
Maybe not in the fifties but definitely in the 70's:

TURTLE WAX!!

(and Kentucky Fried Chicken in that attractive softside cooler thing...)

JOSH
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 06:47:15 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 10:26:09 AM »

Or, on Art Fleming Jeopardy!, Compton's Picture Encyclopedia.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 04:52:16 PM »

Au contraire--it was the Encyclopedia International--along with the (insert number here) edition of our \"Jeopardy!\" game.

According to Harry Eisenberg's book, when the editorial staff went into the office to start the current \"J!\", the only reference material in there was a set of the Encyclopedia International left over from the Fleming days and transported cross-country by Merv.  If you remember the credits sequences from the first several seasons plugging various publishers, they did do something about replenishing the reference library.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 05:26:05 PM by uncamark »

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 05:01:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 03:52 PM\']

Au contraire--it was the Encyclopedia International--along with the (insert number here) edition of our "Jeopardy!" game.

Maybe in the later years, but I still remember Compton's from earlier seasons.

Can we get Don Pardo in here to settle this? Or even Jimmy Pardo?

And why hasn't anybody remembered Rice-A-Roni, The San Francisco Treat?

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 05:38:16 PM »
Pardo me, I couldn't help but overhear.

Compton's in early years.

One time at a taping I asked Don if he did the encyclopedia plug in one breath. He said that he never thought about it, but would during the mid-break on that episode. Later while they rolled 60 seconds of blank film, Don said \"OK, let's find out\".

fade up from black
music up

Anncr: \"The new major Encyclopedia International from Grolier Incorporated is the source authority for the preparation of questions and answers used on Jeopardy. We'll return to play Double Jeopardy with Art Fleming in just a moment\".

fade to black

Don smiled and said \"One breath!\"

He was clearly referring to the plug, as he sucked enough hot air to float the Hindenburg before the tease.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 06:13:50 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 05:46 AM\'] and Kentucky Fried Chicken in that attractive softside cooler thing.
 [/quote]
 Hey, I still have that!  The cooler, not the chicken.

Great start, Chris.
How the hell did you remember My Sin perfume by Lanvin?!

By the way, \"doesn't your recipe deserve Creamette?\"

Randy
tvrandywest.com

joshg

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 06:20:42 PM »
Two more:

Z-Brick and anything by La-Z-Boy

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 06:36:36 PM »
What about a lovely [insert variety of dead animal here] coat from Dicker and Dicker of Beverly Hills? Won't be getting any more of those.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 06:37:54 PM »
We're mingling the '50s and '70s here. Hundreds of fee items were turned into household names during the '70s and '80s.

On P+ I did some of my research at the old Hollywood public library (same location but since burnt down) where they had a Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia. Let me tell ya, it was a damn lousy encyclopedia. A librarian had suggested to me the Encyclopedia Britannica, but the World Book was far, far more useful for our purposes. One afternoon I was sent without explanation to an address in Beverly Hills and returned with a brand new set of World Book encyclopediae to be used on P+. How that deal was arranged I never found out.

\"My Sin\" came back to me when I was Googling on Jungle Gardenia. Now the question is, which show(s) gave it away?

DrBear

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 07:03:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 04:38 PM\']Compton's in early years.
One time at a taping I asked Don if he did the encyclopedia plug in one breath. He said that he never thought about it, but would during the mid-break on that episode. Later while they rolled 60 seconds of blank film, Don said \"OK, let's find out\".
fade up from black
music up
Anncr: \"The new major Encyclopedia International from Grolier Incorporated is the source authority for the preparation of questions and answers used on Jeopardy. We'll return to play Double Jeopardy with Art Fleming in just a moment\".
fade to black
Don smiled and said \"One breath!\"
He was clearly referring to the plug, as he sucked enough hot air to float the Hindenburg before the tease.   ;-)
Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]
I shoulda figgered TVRW would know if we couldn't get Mr. Pardo....

Pardo me, I couldn't help but overhear.

Is that the type of material you use in your warmup? (groans)

trainman

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 10:07:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 03:37 PM\'] One afternoon I was sent without explanation to an address in Beverly Hills and returned with a brand new set of World Book encyclopediae to be used on P+. How that deal was arranged I never found out. [/quote]
 Those encyclopedias \"fell off a truck,\" perhaps?

\"That's right, Al, you lost!  And let me tell you what you didn't win:  a 20-volume set of the Encyclopedia International...\" -- Don Pardo, from Weird Al's \"I Lost on Jeopardy\"
trainman is a man of trains

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 10:11:45 AM »
(chris319 @ Jul 24 2003, 03:37 PM)
One afternoon I was sent without explanation to an address in Beverly Hills and returned with a brand new set of World Book encyclopediae to be used on P+. How that deal was arranged I never found out.

Those encyclopedias \"fell off a truck,\" perhaps?

The 22-volume (or thereabouts) World Book Encyclopedia cost about $200 in 1971 (which is when our family bought one; I'd still have it today if my parents hadn't decided to store it in their mildewy basement upon moving to Massachusetts).I'd say one set of encyclopedias for a bunch of fee plugs was a good deal for World Book.

(In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if I had insisted we get World Book, rather than the Encyclopedia Americana (which could be purchased volume by volume in supermarkets at that time) because of the Jeopardy! plugs.)