Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite TV Spoof  (Read 13069 times)

combsisthebest

Favorite TV Spoof
« on: July 24, 2003, 01:17:10 AM »
What is your favorite TV Spoof of game shows?

Mine is from Mama's Family on Thelma goes on Jeopardy! That episode is a classic.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 02:05:07 AM »
Celebrity Jeopardy, Saturday Night Live, the Connery years. Without question.

(Yes, Norm McDonald did a good Burt Reynolds, too, but Darrell Hammond's Connery is just incredible.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSFan

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 04:33:45 PM »
My favorite by far is, \"Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad\", a spoof of PYRAMID and any game show with a big wheel.  It was a sketch on Saturday Night Live in the 1984-85 season.  Check out when Billy Crystal, as Sammy Davis, Jr.  gets his Hindu contestant partner (Christopher Guest) to say \"Chocolate Babies\".  A truly funny moment inspired by PYRAMID.

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 05:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 01:33 PM\'] Check out when Billy Crystal, as Sammy Davis, Jr.  gets his Hindu contestant partner (Christopher Guest) to say \"Chocolate Babies\". [/quote]
Are you sure he was Hindu and not just very, VERY gay?

Sammy (describing a jalapeno pepper): \"This is a hot, spicy little number...\"

Contestant: \"Rita Moreno.\"

{Seinfeld} Not that there's anything WRONG with that... {/Seinfeld}
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 05:51:56 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Starkman

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 07:02:43 PM »
Well as a kid i always went LMAO when i saw them using 25k pyramid to discribe the egyptian pyramids not to mention the guy smiley spoofs

but as a grown man i gotta say the east hollywood squares was my fave.

Kevin Prather

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 07:11:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 06:02 PM\'] Well as a kid i always went LMAO when i saw them using 25k pyramid to discribe the egyptian pyramids. [/quote]
 That's from Muppet Babies, right?

I wish they'd air Muppet Babies again, just so i could tape that episode. I remember laughing as well, because i vaguely knew what the $25,000 Pyramid was. LOL! It was then, i finally realised there was an opening in the circle. I had no frikkin' idea how they got in and out of that thing! (I was young at the time.)

Question: In that show, was there any actual gameplay? I remember they spent time over at the desks, and at the WC.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 08:31:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 04:51 PM\'][quote name=\'GSFan\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 01:33 PM\'] Check out when Billy Crystal, as Sammy Davis, Jr.  gets his Hindu contestant partner (Christopher Guest) to say \"Chocolate Babies\". [/quote]
Are you sure he was Hindu and not just very, VERY gay?
[/quote]
Actually, he may have been both.  Chris Guest's character was named Rajeev (or something like that).

Sammy (describing a jalapeno pepper): \"This is a hot, spicy little number...\"

Contestant: \"Rita Moreno.\"
That was funny.  What was also funny (funny being in the eye of the beholder) was Jim Belushi as Captain Kangaroo getting tremendously peeved when contestant Mary Gross couldn't get his clues.

As for me, I liked another SNL sketch--the Coneheads on FF:

Bill Murray (as Richard Dawson):  Name something people bite.
Laraine Newman (as Connie):  Mmmmm--the big one.

Or this moment from a Letterman viewer mail segment--letter writer wants to know when was the last time Dave and Paul (a.k.a. Mr. S) had a fight and what it was about:

Dave:  OK, I think it was about a week ago, and it was because Paul wanted to do a band solo and I wouldn't let him do it.
Bill Wendell:  OK, let's see what Paul predicted you would say.  He said (as Paul unfurls card a la NEWLYWED), \"Wouldn't let him do a band solo!\"
(Herb Alpert music plays, game show bells SFX play as Paul jumps up and down in celebration)

Funny stuff.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Fedya

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 11:03:31 PM »
In the \"Jackie Rogers Jr.\" sketch, I also liked how they couldn't get \"bagel\", but get \"filet mignon\" almost without saying a word.

Does anybody else remember \"Hollywood Rubik's Cube\" from Fridays?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Track Man 876

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 11:34:24 PM »
I liked most of the sketches from In Living Color (A show that I really miss):

Win Lose or Draw on the Prison Cable Network

Newlywed/Dating Game

Love Connection w/ Robin Givens & Mike Tyson.  Their was also a funny game show reference in this sketch.  Chuck Woolery (Played by Jim Carrey) said to Mike \"Maybe I'll see you on Scrabble sometime... Yeah right.\"  Mike (Keenen Ivory Wayans) replied with \"Ecstatic: E-X-K-I-T.\"

Tom & Tom on $100,000 Pyramid

The Game Show Family

I didn't really like their sketches from the final season (93-94), so I won't bother to add them.

WhammyPower

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 09:09:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 10:34 PM\'] "Ecstatic: E-X-K-I-T." [/quote]
 Gotta love those Lingo rejects. ;-)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 09:53:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 10:34 PM\']I liked most of the sketches from In Living Color (A show that I really miss):

Win Lose or Draw on the Prison Cable Network

Newlywed/Dating Game

Love Connection w/ Robin Givens & Mike Tyson.  Their was also a funny game show reference in this sketch.  Chuck Woolery (Played by Jim Carrey) said to Mike \"Maybe I'll see you on Scrabble sometime... Yeah right.\"  Mike (Keenen Ivory Wayans) replied with \"Ecstatic: E-X-K-I-T.\"

Tom & Tom on $100,000 Pyramid

The Game Show Family

I didn't really like their sketches from the final season (93-94), so I won't bother to add them.[/quote]
Not to mention Peter Marshall's great hosting job on \"the East Hollywood Squares.\"

And that spoof of LOVE CONNECTION was an absolute classic.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 12:15:15 PM »
I didn't really like their sketches from the final season (93-94), so I won't bother to add them.

During the final season, it was mostly the aforementioned E. Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall hosted every one of them) and the \"dozens\" games (Dirty Dozens, Family Dozens, Wheel of Dozens), the latter series hosted by Nick Bakay as \"Stu Dunfy\".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Jimmy Owen

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 12:23:13 PM »
My favorite was SNL's \"Quien Es Mas Macho?\" with Bill Murray hosting.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

alfonzos

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 03:08:41 PM »
As a Concentration fan, I enjoyed a parody by the summer replacement series She TV. The parody was called Brain Dead Concentration. The first contestestant called two numbers, \"seven and twenty-four.\" When they didn't match it was the opponents turn. The opponent called, \"seven and twenty-four.\" Again, no match. (Surprise!) The first contestant then called, \"twenty-four and seven!\" The sketch continued with a parody of Beavis and Butt-head watching this show as the contestants called the same two numbers ad infinitum.

The producers did a fine job of creating the look and sound of Classic Concentration, which had already been cancelled.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Fedya

Favorite TV Spoof
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 11:14:32 PM »
Alonzos' mention of \"Brain Dead Concentration\" reminds me of the SNL sketch \"Community College Bowl\".
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post