Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Finales  (Read 3295 times)

golden-road

Game Show Finales
« on: December 22, 2004, 06:04:09 PM »
What Game Shows gave extra prizes on their finales?

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Finales
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 06:13:54 PM »
I think I read somewhere that there were no zonks on the last ABC LMAD in 1976.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Game Show Finales
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 07:35:12 PM »
(Post moved from CJTC thread --DZ)

[quote name=\'golden-road\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 06:02 PM\']What gameshows gave away extra prizes, on their last show?
[snapback]68241[/snapback]
[/quote]

The final episode of 70s SPlit Second saw the day's champ get the car he wanted, even though it didn't start in the endgame. The $1K cash jackpot that was won if the bonus was won was split between the other two players.

The final episode of Marshall HS on NBC saw both players pick a celeb to win a bonus prize.

The final episode of Rafferty Blockbusters saw an extra $1000 given to the final champion, even though they didn't win the last bonus round.

The final episode of Bargain Hunters saw the champion of the last Super Savers round win the three prizes selected, the bonus prize, and the other four prizes they didn't select.

The final episode of the 1984-86 LMAD run saw a contestant who got Zonked get the cash award they traded away, about $1200. Carol Merrill appeared on the
 show to tell the player this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 07:40:27 PM by dzinkin »

Michael Brandenburg

Game Show Finales
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »
The final episode of Dream House on ABC (which aired on January 2, 1970)awarded a new car to the day's winning couple in addition to their other game winnings -- who, interestingly enough, had won five previous games up to that time, which would have entitled them to an airplane, the prize the last 5-game winner had won on a program that aired only eight days before.  (By that time on the show, a couple who had won for five consecutive days could either take the airplane -- worth about $15,000 at that time -- or try to win two more games for either the house they were playing for, or an alternate prize of $20,000 in cash.)

With only six programs left before Dream House would be replaced on the ABC schedule by "a new program in this time period," the producers intended the car to be awarded to the winners of the final game on the last show, regardless of the number of games the couple had won up to that time, since there wouldn't be enough programs left for another house win -- but it just happened to work out that way!

And after that car was awarded, the show broke for its final commercial break, and then host Mike Darrow returned to sing "The Party's Over," and, after a few more comments, the show ended, with Darrow going over to NBC to be the announcer on The Who, What, or Where Game.

Thirteen years later, the Dream House game show returned (on NBC this time around), but it simply wasn't the same in its second incarnation, IMO.  Meanwhile as for that "new program" in Dream House's former time period that debuted on ABC on January 5, 1970…

Michael Brandenburg
(…incredibly, it's going to celebrate 35 years on the air next month!  Too bad I don't have any children of my own who might have enjoyed it during all that time.)

brianhenke

Game Show Finales
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 12:09:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 08:59 PM\']The final episode of Dream House on ABC (which aired on January 2, 1970)awarded a new car to the day's winning couple in addition to their other game winnings -- who, interestingly enough, had won five previous games up to that time, which would have entitled them to an airplane, the prize the last 5-game winner had won on a program that aired only eight days before.  (By that time on the show, a couple who had won for five consecutive days could either take the airplane -- worth about $15,000 at that time -- or try to win two more games for either the house they were playing for, or an alternate prize of $20,000 in cash.)

With only six programs left before Dream House would be replaced on the ABC schedule by "a new program in this time period," the producers intended the car to be awarded to the winners of the final game on the last show, regardless of the number of games the couple had won up to that time, since there wouldn't be enough programs left for another house win -- but it just happened to work out that way!

And after that car was awarded, the show broke for its final commercial break, and then host Mike Darrow returned to sing "The Party's Over," and, after a few more comments, the show ended, with Darrow going over to NBC to be the announcer on The Who, What, or Where Game.

Thirteen years later, the Dream House game show returned (on NBC this time around), but it simply wasn't the same in its second incarnation, IMO.  Meanwhile as for that "new program" in Dream House's former time period that debuted on ABC on January 5, 1970…

Michael Brandenburg
(…incredibly, it's going to celebrate 35 years on the air next month!  Too bad I don't have any children of my own who might have enjoyed it during all that time.)
[snapback]68272[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember the ABC version. The NBC version wasn't shown in Cincinnati.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:10:37 AM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

uncamark

Game Show Finales
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 03:07:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 06:13 PM\']I think I read somewhere that there were no zonks on the last ABC LMAD in 1976.
[snapback]68244[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was the last syndicated "LMAD" in 1977.  The one where daughter Joanna was sitting in the audience, but not dressed as a guava.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Finales
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 03:39:33 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 23 2004, 03:07 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 06:13 PM\']I think I read somewhere that there were no zonks on the last ABC LMAD in 1976.
[snapback]68244[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was the last syndicated "LMAD" in 1977.  The one where daughter Joanna was sitting in the audience, but not dressed as a guava.
[snapback]68358[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the correction.  I think I jumped the conclusion that it was the ABC show because of the nature of the syndication business of the time to bicycle the shows and that not every station would be able to play the shows on the same date.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

Game Show Finales
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 11:13:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Dec 22 2004, 08:59 PM\']Mike Darrow returned to sing "The Party's Over"
[snapback]68272[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mike Darrow sang, did he? Why, there's an extra prize all in itself.