Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Week's Game Show Almanac (12/12-18/04)  (Read 5872 times)

ChuckNet

This Week's Game Show Almanac (12/12-18/04)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 04:53:43 PM »
2K (O'Hurley) O'Hurley did a fine job as host - a funnier Collyer, if you like - and a very attractive set were highlights, as was a return of audience voting. But it was dragged down by too many comedians on the panel (including one very unfunny one) and a lack of game play, as well as some very tacky contestants.

And it got worse during the 2nd season...rotating "Who is the real...?" graphics, rowdy hooting/applause from the audience, and frequent standing Os that basically turned the device into a laughable cliche.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 08:39:36 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 19 2004, 04:53 PM\']And it got worse during the 2nd season...rotating "Who is the real...?" graphics,
[snapback]67893[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why did that show need all those graphics anyway? If the audience really does have the attention span of a pea, they're too busy guffawing at Ant anyway.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 03:52:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 17 2004, 01:17 PM\']Has GSN ever shown the first episide of TTTT?  Because the TV Guide listing for the premiere is still titled "Nothing But the Truth."  I guess what I am asking is how soon before the preem did they decide to go with the more cryptic title.
[snapback]67633[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jimmy:

No, GSN has never shown the episode that you're asking about.  It's currently (and unfortunately) now MIA.  I can, however, now verify that in spite of whatever the TV Guides listings said, that first Collyer program actually went out over the air as "To Tell the Truth".  The set was changed prior to the first official broadcast.

-Kevin

uncamark

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 04:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Dec 20 2004, 03:52 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 17 2004, 01:17 PM\']Has GSN ever shown the first episide of TTTT?  Because the TV Guide listing for the premiere is still titled "Nothing But the Truth."  I guess what I am asking is how soon before the preem did they decide to go with the more cryptic title.
[snapback]67633[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jimmy:

No, GSN has never shown the episode that you're asking about.  It's currently (and unfortunately) now MIA.  I can, however, now verify that in spite of whatever the TV Guides listings said, that first Collyer program actually went out over the air as "To Tell the Truth".  The set was changed prior to the first official broadcast.
[snapback]67928[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I understand it, there had been a radio program in Chicago that had occasional national airings called "Nothing But the Truth."  IIRC, it was a commentary program.  The creator, producer and host of that program may've made himself known to G-T (especially because the Chicago Tribune in an article mentioning the eventual premiere of "Nothing But the Truth" specifically mentioned the radio program and did a "does CBS know about this?" statement) and then it was decided that maybe the title needed to be changed.