Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mama's Family-No Spoiler  (Read 7734 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« on: July 23, 2003, 06:25:56 AM »
For those of you who get the west feed of TBS; or those who get it in syndiication; the first episode of \"Mama's Family\"; the Cardinal edition of \"The $25,000/$100,000\" Pyramid is prevanitely featured; as are several refrences to Dick Clark....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

trainman

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 10:41:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 03:25 AM\'] For those of you who get the west feed of TBS... [/quote]
 There actually is no West Coast feed of TBS...but they're adding one later this year.

The reason they haven't had one until now is because of the \"superstation\" concept, the idea that the whole country is getting what's being broadcast over the air in Atlanta.  But apparently, what's finally pushed Time Warner over the edge is the fact that TBS's beloved \"Seinfeld\" reruns are airing at 3:30 and 4:00 Pacific.
trainman is a man of trains

EmiOfBrie

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2003, 05:07:37 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 09:41 PM\'] The reason they haven't had one until now is because of the "superstation" concept, the idea that the whole country is getting what's being broadcast over the air in Atlanta.  But apparently, what's finally pushed Time Warner over the edge is the fact that TBS's beloved "Seinfeld" reruns are airing at 3:30 and 4:00 Pacific. [/quote]
 True.....if you're in Atlanta, you can get TBS simply by tuning antenna-based TV to channel 17.  As far as I know, WTBS and WGN are the only 2 superstations that are left (WWOR, WPIX, and WSBK I think all ceased national broadcast in the late 1990s).  I remember when TBS was listed in the TV Guide as \"17A\"

I think AOL/TW is trying to turn TBS and TNT into a showcase for Warner TV shows and movies, much like what Fox is doing with FX.

aaron sica

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 07:11:09 AM »
[quote name=\'EmiOfBrie\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 04:07 AM\']
True.....if you're in Atlanta, you can get TBS simply by tuning antenna-based TV to channel 17.  As far as I know, WTBS and WGN are the only 2 superstations that are left (WWOR, WPIX, and WSBK I think all ceased national broadcast in the late 1990s).  I remember when TBS was listed in the TV Guide as "17A"
 [/quote]
 Actually, all three (WWOR, WPIX and WSBK) you can get as part of the \"Superstations Package\" on Dish Network. I'm not saying that they are classified as \"Superstations\" officially anymore, but they are still available nationwide to those with a satellite dish.

This post makes me think of one of Ted Turner's shrewd business moves.....I forget who the pitcher was for the Braves, but his nickname was \"The Channel\".....His # on his uniform was changed to 17, and his nickname was put on the back of his jersey, so when you saw him on TV, his jersey said \"Channel 17\". MLB quickly put an end to that one...

drmusic_99

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 08:26:37 AM »
In Canada, KTLA, WPIX, WGN, and WSBK are all available in Canada as superstations on cable and satellite. WTBS was actually bumped to one of the basic analog packages a few years ago.

Of course, the \"superstation\" versions of TBS and WGN are different from the over the air feeds. TBS not so much these days, but WGN's national feed does not include the WB lineup, the morning newscast, some Bulls games, and certain syndie shows. Also, most local advertising is replaced.

The original superstation feed of WWOR (which was available on a limited basis in Canada) back in the late 80's/early 90's also differed quite a bit from the local feed. I don't know about the current version.

willmorris

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 10:32:13 AM »
For the record, the pitcher in question is Andy Messersmith, and he did NOT have the nickname of \"The Channel\" at all.  Ted Turner gave him the nickname \"Channel\" so he could put the jersey to read \"Channel 17\".  Chub Feeney was not amused.

Incidentally, what was WSBK?  I remember WWOR and WPIX, but not WSBK.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 11:31:10 AM »
[quote name=\'willmorris\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 09:32 AM\']For the record, the pitcher in question is Andy Messersmith, and he did NOT have the nickname of \"The Channel\" at all.  Ted Turner gave him the nickname \"Channel\" so he could put the jersey to read \"Channel 17\".  Chub Feeney was not amused.

Incidentally, what was WSBK?  I remember WWOR and WPIX, but not WSBK.[/quote]
WSBK is Channel 38 out of Boston, and currently one of two broadcast outlets for the Red Sox (WBZ-4 is the other).  NESN handles the cable end.  WSBK has done in the past (and may do currently) the Bruins as well.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 11:31:32 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 11:43:57 AM »
[quote name=\'willmorris\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 09:32 AM\'] For the record, the pitcher in question is Andy Messersmith, and he did NOT have the nickname of "The Channel" at all.  Ted Turner gave him the nickname "Channel" so he could put the jersey to read "Channel 17".  Chub Feeney was not amused.

Incidentally, what was WSBK?  I remember WWOR and WPIX, but not WSBK. [/quote]
 Thank you for the correction on that.....Seems even cheesier though, that Turner gave him the nickname just for that purpose. :)

As for WSBK, that's already been answered. I remember it being on my aunt's cable in the '80s in NJ (when it was known as TV38)...Nowadays, it's a upn affiliate known as \"UPN 38\"...

GS Warehouse

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 12:12:01 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 10:43 AM\'] As for WSBK, that's already been answered. I remember it being on my aunt's cable in the '80s in NJ (when it was known as TV38)...Nowadays, it's a upn affiliate known as "UPN 38"... [/quote]
 I used to know of a good TV and radio station directory, but it recently became a pay site.  $60 a month?!  [Rod Roddy]Forget it![/Rod]

ChuckNet

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 12:21:34 PM »
As for WSBK, that's already been answered. I remember it being on my aunt's cable in the '80s in NJ (when it was known as TV38)...Nowadays, it's a upn affiliate known as \"UPN 38\"...

Yeah, we had it on our cable system as well until 1994, when it was replaced by FX...and as Aaron pointed out to me at the GSC last mo, it was pretty much the only station you could get reruns of Punky Brewster on. :-)

ObGameShow: TV38 also carried BtB '85, $1M CoaL, Fun House, the last season of Combs FF, and Dawson's return season.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Chelsea Thrasher

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 12:31:54 PM »
The Entire \"Superstations\" package, which costs $5.99, is KTLA (LA), KWGN (Denver), WSBK (Boston), WPIX (NY), and WWOR (NY).....

In fact, all 7 channels which E* classifies as Superstations are grouped together.    TBS (AT50) is @ 230, and WGN (Chicago [The Superstation feed, not the Local feed]) (AT100) is @ 239.   (The 5 in the Ss package are scattered between them)

-----

Anyway.....

Eh, I got nothin

snowpeck

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 01:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 07:26 AM\']
Of course, the \"superstation\" versions of TBS and WGN are different from the over the air feeds. [/quote]
The only real difference now is that Lois & Clark reruns that air on the national feed of TBS are replaced by Little House on the Prairie on the local.

Greg
« Last Edit: July 24, 2003, 01:05:45 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

uncamark

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 04:04:34 PM »
The original superstation feed of WWOR (which was available on a limited basis in Canada) back in the late 80's/early 90's also differed quite a bit from the local feed. I don't know about the current version.

Since WWOR is strictly on satellite now, it's the same feed New Yorkers receive (including \"Feud\" and \"Pyramid\" every afternoon).  The feed to cable systems with the replacement programming ended at the end of 1996, when Discovery bought out the transponder space to launch an analog feed of Animal Planet.  At the same time, EMI Services, the distributor of the superstation feed of WWOR, also pulled WSBK from the national cable market (although it remains on satellite and on cable systems all over New England).

Of course, unless you're a completist or a fan of certain teams, you nowadays don't really need the superstations unless you don't have UPN or WB stations in your market (and if you're in a WB 100+ market, DirecTV will still import a nearby WB station to you, as I found a few weeks ago when I saw Decatur/Champaign/Springfield's WBUI on DirecTV in the Peoria/Bloomington market, which on cable is a WB 100+ market).

ObGameShow:  Peoria's WMBD, a CBS affil, airs \"Pyramid\" at 9:30 a.m.  They air an infomercial at 9 a.m. before \"Pyramid.\"  They don't air the second run anywhere else on the schedule.  Boy, is there something wrong with this picture.

EmiOfBrie

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 11:05:17 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 10:43 AM\'] Nowadays, it's a upn affiliate known as "UPN 38"... [/quote]
 Yeah....I forgot who originally owned 38, but it was one of Boston's first UHF stations in the 1950s, and has always been WSBK.   WLVI-56 (WTAO until 1972) is almost as old.

CBS/Viacom bought WSBK a few years back....if you go to the website of Boston's O&O CBS affiliate (WBZ-4), you'll see links to WSBK there as well  :)

I don't think WSBK airs the Red Sox anymore though....for the last few years they've been on Boston's Pax affiliate WBPX (68), which also sends mirror signals to Cape Cod's 58 and New Hampshire's 21.

aaron sica

Mama's Family-No Spoiler
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 07:13:38 AM »
[quote name=\'EmiOfBrie\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 10:05 PM\']

CBS/Viacom bought WSBK a few years back....if you go to the website of Boston's O&O CBS affiliate (WBZ-4), you'll see links to WSBK there as well  :)

I don't think WSBK airs the Red Sox anymore though....for the last few years they've been on Boston's Pax affiliate WBPX (68), which also sends mirror signals to Cape Cod's 58 and New Hampshire's 21. [/quote]
 Yup, nowadays, as in a few TV Markets (Philadelphia, with KYW/WPSG, and L.A., with KCBS/Channel 9 (sorry, the calls escape me at the moment)), Viacom owns two channels.....It's very evident if you watch the 10pm news on WSBK, as it's pretty much a WBZ-4 newscast an hour earlier...

As for the Red Sox, WSBK is actually airing them again! However, there's a catch - if you're not in the Boston area, the Sox telecasts are blacked out..