Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Surprise Package  (Read 7870 times)

calliaume

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 08:52:48 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 15 2004, 07:42 PM\']When my mom noticed at age 6 that I was spending a lot of time recording GS eps (particularly Pitfall reruns, which aired on LI indie station WLIG at that time), she would tape over parts of the eps w/random stuff, basically making them unwatchable...God only knows how many traders I could've made VERY happy w/that stuff, but since it's ancient history, I'll just leave it at that.
[/quote]

My parents were weird.  They encouraged me to keep all my baseball cards and fronted me the money to buy up other kids' cards when their parents were threatening to throw them out.

They didn't make me throw out the audiotapes I made of The Big Showdown, The Money Maze, Stumpers, 50 Grand Slam, etc.  I did that myself.  How did I know?

Ian Wallis

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 09:10:06 AM »
Aren't most of the Cullen Pyramid shows on the trading circuit from that station?

There were 11 that hit the curcuit a few years ago that came from that station - unfortunatly most of them have poor video.  There's also the very first episode from 1974 with Anne Meara and Tony Roberts - that episode has great video, I believe it's from a studio master.  There are a couple of others recorded off-air as well.

As for me, when our family first got a VCR on Christmas 1982, I was the one who used it most often, usually to record game shows.   Unfortunatly I didn't save very many of them - videotapes were a lot more expensive back then, and I never thought I'd be trading on the internet 20 years later!  So I guess for me, it's my fault...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 09:21:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 09:10 AM\']As for me, when our family first got a VCR on Christmas 1982, I was the one who used it most often, usually to record game shows.   Unfortunatly I didn't save very many of them - videotapes were a lot more expensive back then, and I never thought I'd be trading on the internet 20 years later!  So I guess for me, it's my fault...
[snapback]67467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah.....If only we knew that we'd be trading years later, imagine the possibilities..I remember taping the 2nd episode of PYL (messed up the VCR so it didn't tape the first day), a day of FAM's game shows from 1/2/89, a Sally Jessy Raphael special with Gene Rayburn (which showed me my first clips of MG)....list could go on and on...

zachhoran

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 09:48:26 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 09:21 AM\']
Yeah.....If only we knew that we'd be trading years later, imagine the possibilities..I remember taping the 2nd episode of PYL (messed up the VCR so it didn't tape the first day), a day of FAM's game shows from 1/2/89, a Sally Jessy Raphael special with Gene Rayburn (which showed me my first clips of MG)....list could go on and on...
[snapback]67469[/snapback]
[/quote]

How were you able to pull off taping a day of FAM game shows on 1/2/89, when FAM didn't air any game shows that day. USA had a game block that day, and it included the premieres of Face the Music and Lange NTT, both of which debuted on USA that day.

aaron sica

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 10:24:16 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 09:48 AM\']How were you able to pull off taping a day of FAM game shows on 1/2/89, when FAM didn't air any game shows that day. USA had a game block that day, and it included the premieres of Face the Music and Lange NTT, both of which debuted on USA that day.
[snapback]67475[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I wasn't. :)

You are right - it was USA, and not FAM. And I taped it that day precisely *for* FtM, which remains one of my favorites to this day..

ChuckNet

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 10:25:36 PM »
You are right - it was USA, and not FAM. And I taped it that day precisely *for* FtM, which remains one of my favorites to this day..

Mine too! :-) Remind me to bring my tape of 12 FAM-recorded eps to the next central PA-based GSC...you're in for a treat!

Oh, and our own Chri$ L! did get the FtM premiere on tape from USA that day, which many traders (myself included) have a copy of.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

aaron sica

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 12:23:31 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 17 2004, 10:25 PM\']Mine too! :-) Remind me to bring my tape of 12 FAM-recorded eps to the next central PA-based GSC...you're in for a treat!
[snapback]67682[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well Chuck, believe it or not, I'm thinking of doing it again. This time, however, your trip from that bus station to my place would be more like 10-15 minutes instead of an hour. :)

We'll see what 2005 holds, but I'm thinking heavily about it....

Rastaub

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 05:12:12 PM »
To Aaron, Chuck, or anyone else in the PA, NJ, NY area, did the even in Allentown, PA take place in December ?  I believe our fellow board member Mystery 7 was organizing it.

As to another PA based convention, I'm all for it,  and Im sure most of the other attendees are as well.  I just came across 4 tapes  chock full of another musical show, My Generation.

aaron sica

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 05:27:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' date=\'Dec 18 2004, 05:12 PM\']To Aaron, Chuck, or anyone else in the PA, NJ, NY area, did the even in Allentown, PA take place in December ?  I believe our fellow board member Mystery 7 was organizing it.

As to another PA based convention, I'm all for it,  and Im sure most of the other attendees are as well.  I just came across 4 tapes  chock full of another musical show, My Generation.
[snapback]67773[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know, Bob, I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to go, but never heard anything about it as the date drew closer..

OK, I'm throwing my hat officially into the ring for GSC 2005. Randy West, how would you like to make a real cameo in New Cumberland, PA?? LOL...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 05:29:41 PM by aaron sica »

ChuckNet

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 04:48:02 PM »
Well Chuck, believe it or not, I'm thinking of doing it again. This time, however, your trip from that bus station to my place would be more like 10-15 minutes instead of an hour. :)

We'll see what 2005 holds, but I'm thinking heavily about it....

Keep me posted...always happy to take a wk's vacation to central PA like I've been doing the last 2 yrs. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Your Surprise Package
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 09:40:30 PM »
Sorry to be late getting to this thread, but in response to the original question, I've been told reliably that at least one episode of Your Surprise Package exists, with Bern Bennett as the announcer.  However, it is not in the trading circuit.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.