Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel's first days  (Read 7838 times)

zachhoran

Wheel's first days
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2004, 07:54:20 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 12:19 AM\']
Of course, it's not like Woolery didn't refer to it on SCRABBLE.  I've mentioned before the April Fool's joke he pulled in 1989 by reciting his WoF opening spiel instead of SCRABBLE's (complete with the WHEEL "first look at puzzle" SFX).

Doug
[snapback]67449[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to mention CHuck made two famous references to it on Greed: once when someone thought Singled Out was a show hosted by Chuck rather than WOF, and once on a question asking what game show was based on Hangman, or something to that effect.

Johnissoevil

Wheel's first days
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2004, 07:31:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Dec 15 2004, 10:29 PM\']I was born at the tail end of '81, and I went all of my pre-adult life enjoying both Wheel and Scrabble without knowing that Woolery hosted the former. So, yeah.
[snapback]67439[/snapback]
[/quote]

You had to see it over a year ago, I quizzed my roommate (who was born in 1980) on the subject.  Here was the question:

"Who hosted Wheel of Fortune before Pat Sajak?"

His answer:  Hmm, Bob Barker?

When I told him it was Chuck, he jokingly said "Well, he did host Scrabble and Lingo, so yeah, he'd be natural for it!"  Of course, about a month later, he watched "Naturally Stoned" and saw the pictures.  His reaction:  A broom closet compared to today's set.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel's first days
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2004, 08:26:47 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 12:19 AM\']Of course, it's not like Woolery didn't refer to it on SCRABBLE.  I've mentioned before the April Fool's joke he pulled in 1989 by reciting his WoF opening spiel instead of SCRABBLE's (complete with the WHEEL "first look at puzzle" SFX).

And welcome back, Robert.
[/quote]

Thank you. I somehow managed to miss all of the Wheel references on Scrabble.

(Man, why can't somebody air Scrabble again?)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

starcade

Wheel's first days
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 07:54 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 12:19 AM\']
Of course, it's not like Woolery didn't refer to it on SCRABBLE.  I've mentioned before the April Fool's joke he pulled in 1989 by reciting his WoF opening spiel instead of SCRABBLE's (complete with the WHEEL "first look at puzzle" SFX).

Doug
[/quote]

Not to mention CHuck made two famous references to it on Greed: once when someone thought Singled Out was a show hosted by Chuck rather than WOF, and once on a question asking what game show was based on Hangman, or something to that effect.
[snapback]67463[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was actually a third famous reference, when he actually had a question on WOF, and a person basically made a reference to Pat Sajak on WOF, and Chuck wanted to use his Freebie:  one which would eliminate one _contestant_...  :)

Steve Gavazzi

Wheel's first days
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2004, 09:13:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Dec 16 2004, 07:31 PM\']Of course, about a month later, he watched "Naturally Stoned" and saw the pictures.  His reaction:  A broom closet compared to today's set.
[snapback]67526[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nicest thing anyone ever said about a broom closet.