Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC games  (Read 4074 times)

wheelloon

PC games
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:48:05 PM »
Does anyone know if gametek or sony or some other company made PC games for the following game shows? If you do, do u know where on the internet I can find them????? TY so much!!!

Scrabble
Whew!
Match Game
Press Your Luck
Sale of the Century
Blockbusters
Tic Tac Dough
High Rollers
Card Sharks

OH yeah, HEY EARL!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 09:49:00 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
PC games
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 09:48 PM\']Does anyone know if gametek or sony or some other company made PC games for the following game shows? If you do, do u know where on the internet I can find them????? TY so much!!!

Scrabble
Whew!
Match Game
Press Your Luck
Sale of the Century
Blockbusters
Tic Tac Dough
High Rollers
Card Sharks

[/quote]

Gametek made:
Press Your Luck (PC/C64)
Card Sharks (PC/C64)

Box Office Software made:
High Rollers (C64)(PC??)

Blockbusters and Sale of the Century were made in Europe for the C64.  Sale of the Century was only sold in Germany and was aptly named, "Hopp Oder Topp"

Scrabble was from Leisure Games and was based solely on the board game and not the TV show.  Match Game, Whew!, and Tic Tac Dough were never made.

I used to run a C64 game site for game shows but took it down when I got too busy with school.  Who knows, I might put it up again one day.
--Matt

curtking

PC games
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 11:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 09:48 PM\']Does anyone know if gametek or sony or some other company made PC games for the following game shows?
[snapback]66544[/snapback]
[/quote]
Matt Ottinger's web site is the gold standard for "home game" information:

The Game Show Home Game Home Page

As for where you can find them on the Internet, I'd recommend looking for "abandonware" sites.  Be careful, though -- some of them are pretty unscrupulous in their advertising.

The Underdogs is a pretty extensive site, and they do have some of the games you listed (High Rollers, PYL, Card Sharks).

Curt

CarbonCpy

PC games
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:13:03 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 11:13 PM\']
The Underdogs is a pretty extensive site, and they do have some of the games you listed (High Rollers, PYL, Card Sharks).

[snapback]66556[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quoting for truth.  The site's a little slow to load at times, but it's worth the wait.

(Incidentally, Lexi-Cross is a game worth checking out while you're there.  Think of it as "Battleship meets The Cross-Wits meets Wheel of Fortune."  Hosted by a cyborg who looks suspiciously like Bob Goen)

MikeK

• Martha!
PC games
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 07:24:27 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 09:48 PM\']Does anyone know if gametek or sony or some other company made PC games for the following game shows?

Sale of the Century[/quote]

There was a CD-ROM version of the Aussie version of Sale of the Century made 7 or 8 years ago.  It's a good game but I haven't been able to play it in 3 years.  Unfortunately, I can't get the Slammer (a lockout device for 4 players) to work properly on WinXP.  Darn upgrading to a faster PC with a newer operating system.

aaron sica

PC games
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 07:25:15 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 02:13 AM\'](Incidentally, Lexi-Cross is a game worth checking out while you're there.  Think of it as "Battleship meets The Cross-Wits meets Wheel of Fortune."  Hosted by a cyborg who looks suspiciously like Bob Goen)
[snapback]66567[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ooh - didn't notice Lexi-Cross, will have to look again. That was one of my favorite computer games at one point, which I absolutely loved playing. Took a good bit of time to play an entire game, but that game is AWESOME....

Particleman

PC games
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 08:56:05 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 07:24 AM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 09:48 PM\']Does anyone know if gametek or sony or some other company made PC games for the following game shows?

Sale of the Century[/quote]

There was a CD-ROM version of the Aussie version of Sale of the Century made 7 or 8 years ago.  It's a good game but I haven't been able to play it in 3 years.  Unfortunately, I can't get the Slammer (a lockout device for 4 players) to work properly on WinXP.  Darn upgrading to a faster PC with a newer operating system.
[snapback]66579[/snapback]
[/quote]

If it's an old DOS game you're trying to run, try downloading this program called DosBox.  I've got a ton of old games I used to play that don't work 100% in Windows.  It even emulates a lot of the old sound cards that were out at the time.

DYosua

PC games
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:15:58 AM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 11:06 PM\']Box Office Software made:
High Rollers (C64)(PC??)
[/quote]
Yes, there was a PC game made, I believe also by Box Office.  It's around at home somewhere on a 3.5" disk (duplicated from the original 5.25").  I was always impressed that it had a "DOS graphic" of Wink after each round...

wheelloon

PC games
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 10:37:25 AM »
Some months ago I visited and downloaded a bunch of game shows from the underdogs... Most (not all) work very well, especially Concentration and Super Password.

I know it had a version of PYL on there, but everytime I tried to play it on my computer, the game ran WAY TOO FAST??????!!!!!!

Does anyone know a remedy to this... also had the same problem with the High Rollers it had too!

MikeK

• Martha!
PC games
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 12:12:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 08:56 AM\']If it's an old DOS game you're trying to run, try downloading this program called DosBox.  I've got a ton of old games I used to play that don't work 100% in Windows.  It even emulates a lot of the old sound cards that were out at the time.[/quote]

It's not the game that doesn't work.  It's the Slammer, an input device, which XP doesn't recognize or even properly work after attempting to manually configure it.

Particleman

PC games
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 01:12:55 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 12:12 PM\']It's not the game that doesn't work.  It's the Slammer, an input device, which XP doesn't recognize or even properly work after attempting to manually configure it.
[snapback]66609[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course Windows XP won't recognize such and aged and uncommon device.  Send me an e-mail and we'll discuss it.

Particleman

PC games
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 01:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 10:37 AM\']I know it had a version of PYL on there, but everytime I tried to play it on my computer, the game ran WAY TOO FAST??????!!!!!!

Does anyone know a remedy to this... also had the same problem with the High Rollers it had too!
[snapback]66606[/snapback]
[/quote]

DOSBox, the application I mentioned before, is supposed to have a configuration setting to slow games down but I haven't tried to configure it this way yet.  There's another program that I know for sure that will work called Moslo.  You can download Moslo and DOSBox here:

DOSGAMES.COM Essential Utilities Page

Good luck.

wheelloon

PC games
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 01:37:58 PM »
Thanks for all your help everyone.  This Moslo program on DOSGAMES looks like it will do the trick!!!! I can play my game shows in peace now... ahhhh... :)

Matt Ottinger

PC games
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 01:55:17 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 03:13 AM\'](Incidentally, Lexi-Cross is a game worth checking out while you're there.  Think of it as "Battleship meets The Cross-Wits meets Wheel of Fortune."  Hosted by a cyborg who looks suspiciously like Bob Goen)[/quote]
There are those of us who already think Bob Goen is a cyborg.

I was given a copy of Lexi-Cross years ago by another member of this forum, and I remember how wonderfully, complicatedly, delightfully elaborate it was.  Your single-sentence description of it is near perfect, and still doesn't completely do it justice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

PC games
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 02:39:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 01:55 PM\']I was given a copy of Lexi-Cross years ago by another member of this forum, and I remember how wonderfully, complicatedly, delightfully elaborate it was.  Your single-sentence description of it is near perfect, and still doesn't completely do it justice.
[snapback]66616[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dare I say that it even beats some REAL game show adaptations to computer games.  The game is that good. If you've never played it, definitely worth a download...

Although I do have a question about it...Is the version on the underdog's website cracked? I do believe there was some copy protection with the game...