Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN in B&C  (Read 7419 times)

tvmitch

GSN in B&C
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:28:32 PM »
Got my copy of Broadcasting & Cable/B&C today, and on the cover is a GSN logo with one of those buzzer toys that were apparently sent out as freebies awhile back (if anyone has one sitting around, I want it badly and will pay you in shows or cash)...inside, there's an 8-page tribute to the network.

Not a mention of classic games. Not that I saw, at least.

The article mentions direct from an exec that GSN plans to go 24-hour interactive in 1Q 2005, quoting "168 hours of interactive television a week."

So this could mean any of or a combination of the following:

-no more infomercials ("And now, the scores for Let's Play Ron Popeil Rotisserie! Play online!")
-less traditional games on the schedule?

And I thought I had more reasons, but I don't.

If you have access to B&C and can pick one up, it's worth a look. (And remember my buzzer offer!)
You should follow me on Twitter

CaseyAbell

GSN in B&C
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »
That's a joke about no more infomercials, right? As for interactive whizbangery meaning fewer traditional game shows, why? Lots of 'em are already interactive, and GSN is really pushing this Sunday's "You Win Live" with three of the most traditional shows you could want.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 12:50:58 PM by CaseyAbell »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN in B&C
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 12:50 PM\']That's a joke about no more infomercials, right?[/quote]
A basic mathmatician could tell you there's 168 hours in a week. Hence, no infomercials. Unless they plan to launch: POPEIL! The All New Rotisserie Your Meat!

Please don't bring up your stats and "traditionalist" views again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:10:24 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

GSN in B&C
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 01:33:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 01:09 PM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 12:50 PM\']That's a joke about no more infomercials, right?[/quote]
A basic mathmatician could tell you there's 168 hours in a week. Hence, no infomercials. Unless they plan to launch: POPEIL! The All New Rotisserie Your Meat!
[snapback]66481[/snapback]
[/quote]
I do NOT want to know what Popeil is doing with his meat.  Or what Casey's doing with his, for that matter. :-)

Please don't bring up your stats and "traditionalist" views again.
Please don't look for a fight where there isn't one.  (That advice applies to others as well.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:36:31 PM by dzinkin »

CaseyAbell

GSN in B&C
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:40:32 PM »
No stats - gee, there really are 168 hours in a week? Some meat - I won't specify further. Many GSN infomercials and don't expect them to go away - this network just recently inched into profitability.

By the way, it's nice to see WBSM in this Sunday's stunt.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:46:53 PM by CaseyAbell »

aaron sica

GSN in B&C
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 12:50 PM\']That's a joke about no more infomercials, right?
[/quote]

Don't laugh yet......Someone asked about it on the GSN forums, and "Thericker"'s reply was: "We are looking at paid programming and making that interactive as well or offer other interactive services during those times. "

tvmitch

GSN in B&C
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 03:55:26 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 03:15 PM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 12:50 PM\']That's a joke about no more infomercials, right?
[/quote]

Don't laugh yet......Someone asked about it on the GSN forums, and "Thericker"'s reply was: "We are looking at paid programming and making that interactive as well or offer other interactive services during those times. "
[snapback]66504[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, I'm just posting what I read in the magazine. 168 divided by 7 is 24 hours a day of interactive programming. *shrug* I don't know what it means...all I know is that I'll still be sleeping at 5 in the morning, Rotisserie or not.
You should follow me on Twitter

CaseyAbell

GSN in B&C
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 04:31:56 PM »
The GSN site IS open 168 hours a week with various games. So they're already offering some interactivity around the clock.

But don't hold you breath until you turn blue or GSN stops the informercials.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
GSN in B&C
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 06:02:12 PM »
I'd think you could keep it simple doing overnight interactivity.

Keep the infomercial at the top with a bar at the bottom running quizzes.  They could be simple play-along, or use an interface on the website to answer questions in real-time.  If the latter, give the top scorer the product.  You get added value to the advertiser, which also means GSN can charge more for the airtime.

It's so simple that there's no way they'd do it.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

xibit777

GSN in B&C
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 07:02:05 PM »
I can see it now.  

Question 1 :

How long do you think this cooker can grill this piece of meat?  

2 min
5 min
10 min
20 min

Question 2 :

How much will this piece of fine equipment cost

I can't wait to see the top scores for this.  Will anyone even play it?  LOL   You'd really have issues to be playing infomercials interactive.   Usually if someone is watching an infomercial its because they want to buy something.   Not because they want to play a game along with it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN in B&C
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 07:10:15 PM »
[quote name=\'xibit777\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 05:02 PM\']Usually if someone is watching an infomercial its because they want to buy something.   Not because they want to play a game along with it.
[snapback]66529[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not so. I'd do it. Those informercials for kitchen gadgets are at least as entertaining as a lot of cooking shows. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ilb4ever2000

GSN in B&C
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 02:14:08 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 07:10 PM\']Not so. I'd do it. Those informercials for kitchen gadgets are at least as entertaining as a lot of cooking shows. :)
[snapback]66531[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, it's funny how edited and staged those Ron Popeil infomercials are...There's voiceover from Ron that is supposed to sound like he's talking "live" ("And Steve, you can even..."), but it was obviously added in post.

tyshaun1

GSN in B&C
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 07:27:34 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 02:14 AM\']Oh, it's funny how edited and staged those Ron Popeil infomercials are...There's voiceover from Ron that is supposed to sound like he's talking "live" ("And Steve, you can even..."), but it was obviously added in post.
[snapback]66568[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean to tell me that informercials are..................
RRRRRRRIGGED?!

God forbid. ;)

Tyshaun

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN in B&C
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 09:11:11 AM »
The QUESTION is:  Are infomercials game shows?!?! :)

cmjb13

GSN in B&C
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 09:13:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 09:11 AM\']The QUESTION is:  Are infomercials game shows?!?! :)
[snapback]66593[/snapback]
[/quote]
Would an infomercial hosted by Jim Caldwell count?

I guess you could consider dragging a car door out of the ocean and shooting a driver's side door with a laser "stunts".
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS