Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big Jeopardy! Change  (Read 9676 times)

Timsterino

Big Jeopardy! Change
« on: July 22, 2003, 01:33:49 PM »
The story is on Steve Beverly's website. Champions are no longer limited to a five day run. They can remain champion as long as they keep winning.  Should be interesting.

Tim :-)

Hiroland

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:35:52 PM »
Wow, now it'll get interesting! I am guessing they wont be getting cars anymore though.

SplitSecond

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:40:37 PM »
Something tells me any contestant application with the name \"Thom McKee\" at the top will be expedited.

Adam Nedeff

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 01:47:14 PM »
This isn't nearly as big a change as it seems at first sight. 5-day champions seldom happen on Jeopardy! anyway, and I'm curious to see how long we have to wait for this rule to actually matter and have somebody win SIX games in a row. My guess is we shouldn't hold our breath.

jalman

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 02:28:02 PM »
Press Release at TVBarn

I like the idea, but does that mean that there's no winnings ceiling too?  The press release leans towards \"yes.\"

Clarence

PeterMarshallFan

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 02:54:05 PM »
I wonder who Steve stole that from. :P

Seriously, this could get interesting.

zachhoran

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2003, 06:47:01 PM »
Game shows where people can appear for unlimited shows have gone the way of 8-track tapes in the last couple of decades(Maury's Twenty-One being the only exception in the last decade), it's nice to see J! bring the \"unlimited appearance\" rule into effect, though someone winning more than five games will indeed be uncommon.

Perhaps WOF, Feud, or Squares will try that someday :)

TheInquisitiveOne

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2003, 08:20:32 PM »
I am definitely all for the B&E mentality that \"the sky's the limit.\" Though five day winners are already uncommon, at least when we see some that do go that far, we get to see how good they really are. To answer an earlier post, that also means that there is no winnings cap as well.

The only downside I see to this is how it will affect the format of the Tournament of Champions.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 08:25:06 PM »
For criteria in determining who plays in the TofC, they'll probably take the champs winning the most games, and then use cash winnings as a criteria to break ties in number of games won.

reason1024

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 11:22:36 PM »
On a sort of related note, does anyone else think that the Final Jeopardy questions have gotten harder recently -- either subjectively in terms of \"Gee, that's tough!\" or objectively in terms of how many players get the question wrong?  I hadn't watched Jeopardy! in a long time, and when I started tuning in again it seemed like 2 or 3 people were getting the question wrong each day instead of 2 or three getting it right.

Harder FJs would, I imagine, limit insanely long reigns in the new format by making the day's leader less likely to go on and win the day.

Mike

Unrealtor

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 01:02:44 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 22 2003, 07:25 PM\'] For criteria in determining who plays in the TofC, they'll probably take the champs winning the most games, and then use cash winnings as a criteria to break ties in number of games won. [/quote]

It would not surprise me to see the ToC end with this new rule, just because Harry Friedman seems to, in his WoF changes, be moving towards gearing the show towards an attention span that doesn't even last day-to-day (And, yes, I know this move seems to counter that, but I have my doubts as to whether he's confident enough in even the J! viewer to remember one season to the next).  I see its purpose, to an extent, as allowing those people who were limited in their run by the 5-show rule to play on, and ending any cap on appearances eliminates that reason for its existance. That being said, I quite like having a ToC, because it elevates the play to an entirely different level, and that's an as good, if not a better, reason to keep it than rewarding 5-time champions is for dumping it. Now, if I were Harry (I'm not,) and I were keeping the ToC,  I'd like to see qualification move to highest cash totals instead of longest stay. People who are fast on the button and wager big, seem to, in my observation, have shorter tenures because they don't give themselves margins for error, but this, in the context of each individual show, tends to make things more exciting. In other words, I'd rather see the 3-day champion who makes $120,000 than the 10-day champion who makes $100,000.

Now, the press conference alluded to \"many [other] exciting changes throughout the upcoming season.\" Any guesses as to what those are?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 01:03:05 AM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Robert Hutchinson

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 05:12:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 12:02 AM\']Now, the press conference alluded to \"many [other] exciting changes throughout the upcoming season.\" Any guesses as to what those are?[/quote]
The Clue Crew sub-hosts for a week!

Wow, I just scared myself.

I hope they try some interesting things with the categories. This past year, it seems like every round (J! or DJ!) had to have a \"Starts With This Letter\" category. I want Before and After In Other Words! I want Opera Spelling!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 05:47:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 22 2003, 12:33 PM\'] The story is on Steve Beverly's website. Champions are no longer limited to a five day run. They can remain champion as long as they keep winning.  Should be interesting.

Tim :-) [/quote]
 One more gimmick from Sony to attempt to keep the viewers tuned in.

Pathetic, at best.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ilb4ever2000

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 11:34:01 AM »
Pathetic, at best.

Pathetic? Certainly we've seen worse.

BrandonFG

Big Jeopardy! Change
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 11:50:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 04:47 AM\']One more gimmick from Sony to attempt to keep the viewers tuned in.

Pathetic, at best.[/quote]
I'll take it over the Clue Crew and that clutter of shapes they call a \"set\" anyday. Sorry it reminds me of \"Quicksilver,\" which means it does nothing for me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!