Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatchamacallit  (Read 5617 times)

wheelloon

Whatchamacallit
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:32:18 AM »
I'm sure everyone on this site has heard some kind of crappy ideas for new game shows, but just hear me out.

A new game show called Whatchamacallit, where u have to guess the prizes to win them!

5 rounds, 3 players, each player, starting with one on the left, asks a question to what the prize may be (20 questions sorta format) which can be answered only with a yes or no by the host/judge. Each player has 3 guesses per round to what the prize may be, and if a player has guessed 3 times per round, they are out for the rest of the round.

Whoever guesses correctly what the prize is (don't need a brand name or dimensions or stuff like that) i.e a trip to wherever... a new living room, an entertainment center, specific amounts of money... will win that prize, and $1000 extra!

Prizes go up in value per round, whoever has the most money in prizes at the  rounds' end will go to the bonus round.

In the bonus round, called 20 questions, players have 2 minutes and up to 20 questions to identify their grand prize. Once time is up, players have one guess to identify the grand prize. A guess during the time limit is registered as one of the 20 questions.  If it's a trip, the player has to identify its location (city, country); if its cash, exactly how much; if a car, the brand name (Audi, BMW, Mercedes...not like a BMW 5 series convertible...), if its something like a new high def big time modern entertainment center , they have to identify the maker of the prize, or what's included in the prize. If they guess it incorrectly, no win... if guessed correctly, they win the prize and a base value of $10000!

Players can come back for a maximum of 5 days.

Maybe a bit too old fashioned for today's modern tv viewers, maybe would've been better for the 80's or 70's, but who knows???? I like it!!!!
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whatchamacallit
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 01:53:51 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 7 2004, 10:32 PM\']I'm sure everyone on this site has heard some kind of crappy ideas for new game shows
[/quote]
Oh, no. We've heard full-fledged PISS-POOR ideas for game shows.
5 rounds, 3 players, each player, starting with one on the left, asks a question to what the prize may be (20 questions sorta format) which can be answered only with a yes or no by the host/judge. Each player has 3 guesses per round to what the prize may be, and if a player has guessed 3 times per round, they are out for the rest of the round.
That, um, no, that doesn't interest me in any way, shape, or form. Plus, I see a LOT of prizes not given away because nobody guesses in time.
Prizes go up in value per round, whoever has the most money in prizes at the  rounds' end will go to the bonus round.
And how do you break that three-way tie at 0? Is this going to fit into a half-hour block? Five rounds AND a bonus? No freakin' way. And please don't tell me you plan to subject an audience to an HOUR of this.
Maybe a bit too old fashioned for today's modern tv viewers, maybe would've been better for the 80's or 70's, but who knows???? I like it!!!!
No, I'm pretty sure it would have sucked then too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:14:12 AM »
This is a very interesting concept...and that's about as far as it gets.

Don Howard

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:44:23 AM »
I don't even think having Blake Emmons as emcee would save this show.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:45:05 AM by Don Howard »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Whatchamacallit
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 06:51:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 02:44 AM\']I don't even think having Blake Emmons as emcee would save this show.
[snapback]66433[/snapback]
[/quote]
Try Al Dubois.
Anyhow, a tape of Free 4 All awaits you. Thanks for playing.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chelsea Thrasher

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 07:33:40 AM »
I'm sure everyone on this site has heard some kind of crappy ideas for new game shows, but just hear me out.

Yep, sure do.  The Crap-o-matic usually churns out some real pieces of...well....every three months or so...

Whoever guesses correctly what the prize is (don't need a brand name or dimensions or stuff like that) i.e a trip to wherever... a new living room, an entertainment center, specific amounts of money... will win that prize, and $1000 extra!

You haven't addressed one key question:  What happens when no one guesses what the prize is.

The $1000 extra seems to be nothing but throwing around cash for the hell of it.  You waste $5000 per show from the prize budget just for the sake of handing out cash.   Using the $5000 to up the quality of prizes at little bit would be a better strategy, IMO.  

Prizes go up in value per round, whoever has the most money in prizes at the  rounds' end will go to the bonus round.
OK, we've got a 2-2-1 tie at the end of the game.  What happens next?  And please, PLEASE, don't say that the person with the highest value of prizes is automatically the winner...That just makes early rounds look cheap and/or irrelevant.

In the bonus round, called 20 questions,

How original...

players have 2 minutes and up to 20 questions to identify their grand prize

SO, after  FIVE rounds of questions, that progresses at a rather slow pace, you want a TWO minute bonus round?   (Shakes head in disgust).  

. Once time is up, players have one guess to identify the grand prize. A guess during the time limit is registered as one of the 20 questions.

With what you just said, that means that a player could just name off 21 (total) random big-ticket prizes...that goes against the very grain of your own format.   It's just silly.

If it's a trip, the player has to identify its location (city, country); if its cash, exactly how much; if a car, the brand name (Audi, BMW, Mercedes...not like a BMW 5 series convertible...), if its something like a new high def big time modern entertainment center , they have to identify the maker of the prize, or what's included in the prize.

The whole thing is just nuts, and the specifity you're asking for is just the icing on the cake.  Bonus games are supposed to be the climax of the action started by the main game, not a SLOWER, MORE complex version of the same thing.  Look at the best bonus games...They're simple, and an extension of the main game.   Winner's Circle...Alphabetics...et al.     Study them...see why they work.

If they guess it incorrectly, no win... if guessed correctly, they win the prize and a base value of $10000!
Unneccesary.   If you're using a big-ticket item (Car, NICE Vacation, etc) as the bonus prize, added cash is just Money for the sake of money...and that's just wrong.    I've never seen the need in padding formats with superflous money.

Players can come back for a maximum of 5 days.

Don't anticipate anyone WANTING to come back for 5 days, to be frank.

Of COURSE you like it, it's YOUR format.    Its not too old fashioned for today's modern viewers....It wouldn't work in ANY era, be it 1964, 1984, or 2004.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 07:35:02 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Jimmy Owen

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »
This sounds like "What's My Line?" with prizes instead of jobs and WML has not been revived in 29 years.  Here's what may speed up the process, cut the rounds to two, show the prize to the home and studio audience (to assure a prize plug).  I'm trying to think of other wrinkles, but they would all be steals from other shows ("Temptation," "Number Please," "Give-N-Take," etc.)  Maybe a bonus game ripoff of CC where the contestants have to match manufacturers to prizes, example: under #3 column one-Chevrolet, in #6 column two-Range=no match, under #2, C2 is Hotpoint, etc. what ever is matched after a certain time limit is won.  The era of innocuous daytime game shows has been over for some time (ending around 10 years ago), like the TV western or the variety show it would have to be something beyond the ordinary to make it to air.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 08:59:17 AM »
Sorry to add to the lumps, but it sounds like it's a bit derivative of the old 60s CBS show Your Surprize Package, where 3 contestants had a certain amount of time to try and guess the contents of a giant prize package behind them. It vanished rather quickly, even with such pros as Allan Sherman and George Fenneman at the helm. Keep thinking.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Whatchamacallit
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:39:08 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 05:59 AM\']Sorry to add to the lumps, but it sounds like it's a bit derivative of the old 60s CBS show Your Surprise Package, where 3 contestants had a certain amount of time to try and guess the contents of a giant prize package behind them. It vanished rather quickly, even with such pros as Allan Sherman and George Fenneman at the helm. Keep thinking.
[snapback]66445[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactamundo.

You haven't addressed one key question: What happens when no one guesses what the prize is.
They go home with a carton of Winston cigarettes?

Alternate title: What's My Prize?

wheelloon

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 09:17:09 AM »
Not one of my better ideas according to this site....

Thats okay, just curious what others thought about it...

Besides... who would watch it anyway????
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Whatchamacallit
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 09:17 AM\']Besides... who would watch it anyway????
[/quote]
You tell us, you're the one that purposed the show.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 03:44:01 PM »
I probably would watch the show just to hear the daily exchange, "Is it bigger than a breadbox?" "No," "Is it a breadbox?" "YESSSS!"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

opimus

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 03:58:23 PM »
Do the losers get paid in candybars. *Ducking*
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 03:58:45 PM by opimus »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whatchamacallit
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 04:51:13 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 9 2004, 07:17 AM\']Besides... who would watch it anyway????
[snapback]66597[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow. You're REALLY not helping yourself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

Whatchamacallit
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 05:08:25 PM »
I'll give this show a Scarecrow Award.  I'll bet it lasts about as long as It's Your Chance of a Lifetime if it makes it to the airwaves.