Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBaM question -- 7/21/03 ep  (Read 8596 times)

rigsby

WWTBaM question -- 7/21/03 ep
« on: July 22, 2003, 01:07:39 PM »
I happened to turn on Millionaire last night (since I was home that early for the first time in a looooong time), and I heard a contestant phoning a friend.  The name I heard (of the \"phone-a-friend\", that is) sounded a lot like \"Leszek\".  Can anyone tell me if it was the Leszek who I remember from the old group (is he here???)?

Apologies if it was a rerun and if this question has been answered previously.

Timsterino

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:22:35 PM »
It was a first run episode. This is the last week for WWTBAM first runs until September. Yes, that was Leszek P. who was a PAF for Tim Hsieh. Tim you may recognize as the top winner on the FOX game show \"It's Your Chance of a Lifetime\". Tim finishes his run today.

Tim S. :-)

Gromit

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 01:40:27 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing I like better than turning on a game show, and seeing a millionaire given the opportunity to win even more. Meanwhile, some poor sod gets rejected because he's not photogenic enough.

I hardly watch Millionaire anymore, and this sure didn't help.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 01:47:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jul 22 2003, 10:40 PM\'] Yeah, there's nothing I like better than turning on a game show, and seeing a millionaire given the opportunity to win even more. Meanwhile, some poor sod gets rejected because he's not photogenic enough.
 [/quote]
 Better watch how loud you say that, there are a few folks around here who think \"professional contestant\" is a perfectly viable and legitimate profession to write on an IRS form...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 02:38:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 12:40 AM\'] Yeah, there's nothing I like better than turning on a game show, and seeing a millionaire given the opportunity to win even more. Meanwhile, some poor sod gets rejected because he's not photogenic enough.

I hardly watch Millionaire anymore, and this sure didn't help. [/quote]
 Quit giving us a pity story and face the facts taht you weren't good enough to qualify.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Timsterino

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:10:55 AM »
It was great to see Tim Hsieh on the show today. I have NO problem with people going on multiple game shows AS LONG AS they follow the rules. When people go on multiple shows and are in obvious violation of the show's own rules, that is when I get pissed off.

The best thing you can do if you do not like a show or the practices of the show's contestant selection process is not watch. Ultimately it is their show and they can do with it what they please as long as they still get ratings.

Tim :-)

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 11:20:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 02:10 AM\'] The best thing you can do if you do not like a show or the practices of the show's contestant selection process is not watch. Ultimately it is their show and they can do with it what they please as long as they still get ratings.
 [/quote]
 I never suggested anything otherwise. You're exactly right. Vote with your remote. And I do.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 12:21:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 12:40 AM\'] Yeah, there's nothing I like better than turning on a game show, and seeing a millionaire given the opportunity to win even more. Meanwhile, some poor sod gets rejected because he's not photogenic enough.

George Elias was on \"Greed\" and won $610,000. He later went on \"Pyramid\" and won $125,000. Tim Hsieh ain't the first guy to pull that stunt. People have gone on multiple game shows in the past, and they will in the future. If you don't like it, change the channel.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 01:37:03 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 09:21 AM\'] George Elias was on "Greed" and won $610,000. He later went on "Pyramid" and won $125,000. Tim Hsieh ain't the first guy to pull that stunt.

[/quote]
 Nobody suggested he was.

People have gone on multiple game shows in the past, and they will in the future. If you don't like it, change the channel.

Isn't that exactly what the OP is saying? \"I don't watch Millionaire anymore, and I'm not any more inclined to if they're going to do this.\"

So drop the attitude.

Timsterino

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 02:17:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 10:20 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 02:10 AM\'] The best thing you can do if you do not like a show or the practices of the show's contestant selection process is not watch. Ultimately it is their show and they can do with it what they please as long as they still get ratings.
 [/quote]
I never suggested anything otherwise. You're exactly right. Vote with your remote. And I do. [/quote]
 Chris,

My response was not directed at you. It was actually directed at Gromit regarding his unhappiness with not getting selected.

Tim :-)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 08:30:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 01:38 AM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 12:40 AM\'] Yeah, there's nothing I like better than turning on a game show, and seeing a millionaire given the opportunity to win even more. Meanwhile, some poor sod gets rejected because he's not photogenic enough.

Quit giving us a pity story and face the facts taht you weren't good enough to qualify.[/quote]
I agree with half of what each of you are saying, and am irked by the other halves. (\"poor sod\" and \"pity story\" being the agreeable parts)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 10:24:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jul 23 2003, 07:30 PM\'] ("poor sod" and "pity story" being the agreeable parts) [/quote]
 I'm of the mindset if you're a poor sod, get a (better) job.  Then you can become just a sod.

Brandon Brooks

Gromit

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 04:57:50 AM »
This has nothing to do with my inability to get on the show. (As a Canadian, we're simply not allowed to try, which is a bit of an irritant, but not related. Sorry dsmith, by not knowing the rules you llama'ed the $100 question)

I don't even have a real problem with the professional contestants per se. If some guy wins 10 grand on Whammy, then gets on Millionaire, all the more credit to him.

But we're not talking about some Joe who's been on more than one show. We're talking one of the biggest winners in all of game show history. Quite literally, a millionaire (though that was such a gift, I mean Rueben Kincaid as a million dollar question? Fox threw a desperately easy stack there, hoping for a big win to make a splash for the new show: http://www.geocities.com/stormseekersite/g.../games/chance/)

Out of the thousands of contestants to choose from, is Tim the best ABC could come up with?

Timsterino

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 02:18:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Jul 24 2003, 03:57 AM\'] This has nothing to do with my inability to get on the show. (As a Canadian, we're simply not allowed to try, which is a bit of an irritant, but not related. Sorry dsmith, by not knowing the rules you llama'ed the $100 question)

I don't even have a real problem with the professional contestants per se. If some guy wins 10 grand on Whammy, then gets on Millionaire, all the more credit to him.

But we're not talking about some Joe who's been on more than one show. We're talking one of the biggest winners in all of game show history. Quite literally, a millionaire (though that was such a gift, I mean Rueben Kincaid as a million dollar question? Fox threw a desperately easy stack there, hoping for a big win to make a splash for the new show: http://www.geocities.com/stormseekersite/g.../games/chance/)

Out of the thousands of contestants to choose from, is Tim the best ABC could come up with? [/quote]
 Being that Tim is a friend of mine I think I need to bite my tounge a bit on this one. To be honest I do not give a crap how much money the contestant already has as long as they make a good contestant. Tim Hsieh made a good contestant, period.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 03:29:35 PM »
But we're not talking about some Joe who's been on more than one show. We're talking one of the biggest winners in all of game show history.
It sounds like what you're saying is that you don't mind if someone's been on a game show before, just as long as he wasn't too successful.  If it's OK for someone to be on an earlier game, I fail to see how the amount he won on that previous appearance should make any difference.

As for your question, \"is Tim the best ABC could come up with?\", just remember that contestant coordinators on similar shows would tend to look for the same sorts of qualities.  Whatever it was that made Tim attractive to the FOX show's producers must have been the same qualities that made him attractive as a WWTBAM contestant.  I really don't see anything so outrageous about that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.