Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Future of Jeopardy  (Read 5730 times)

wheelloon

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »
I don't think an extended winning streak is possible on WoF because of the luck factor involving the wheel. (The rules forbid a controlled spin.)

Suppose you were so good that you could the solve the puzzle before a single letter was revealed. What would your chance of winning be? There's always the possibility that you could hit Bankrupt, and another player could go on a hot streak on their turn.

This is the reason why I think that an extended champion run would not be a bad idea.  Don't tell me you haven't seen great Wheel players win absolutely nothing on the show because the Wheel was being a big meanie to the contestant... I have seen that many times.  We all have bad days... some worse than others...

A player is allowed to solve a puzzle before they spin the wheel, no? I remember a contestant early in the syndie run who hadn't yet spun the wheel in that round(not a Speed Up round, but the puzzle ROCK AND ROLL STAR had some letters revealed) and solved the puzzle. Can a contestant solve the puzzle at the outset of the round before spinning the wheel?

OH YES! A person can definitely solve without spinning the wheel.  I have seen times where people know the puzzle, and whether because they'd been having bad luck spinning, or for other reasons, they just solve immediately when it comes to their turn.  It's not recommended, however, when there are a bunch of letters still in the puzzle... Thats a missed opportunity to make some big money, which is why it is a rare occasion when someone actually does this!!!!  There have been times I've gotten a puzzle with no letters revealed while watching the show... but I'd definitely spin to get some money off the deal, instead of sticking with a paltry $500! Do you blame me?
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 01:54:13 AM »
[quote name=\'fsk\' date=\'Dec 6 2004, 08:45 PM\']I don't think an extended winning streak is possible on WoF because of the luck factor involving the wheel.  (The rules forbid a controlled spin.)
[snapback]66283[/snapback]
[/quote]

You wouldn't see the kind of streak you saw on J!, but it's totally possible to see something on the scale of a couple of weeks if breaks go your way.

Here's the problem: "controlled spin" is very vaguely defined.  There's a difference between trying to give an extra slow spin to hit a big money space and giving it a little more or less power than usual to avoid a Lose-A-Turn you're likely to hit on your next spin.  And it would make for an awkward explanation to the press were they to utilize the latter definition:

"You just disqualified your 8-time champion and forfeitted all of his winnings.  Why?"

"Errr, because he never landed on Bankrupt?"
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 02:54:23 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 6 2004, 11:04 PM\']It's not recommended, however, when there are a bunch of letters still in the puzzle... [/quote]
Whenever I play "Wheel" on the computer with Sara; she criticizes me for utilizing this strategy.  I didn't come out and say it, but I'd rather not hit bankrupt....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 06:41:03 PM »
1.  "Wheel" and "J!" are still at or near the top in syndicated program household ratings and will remain there for years to come.  (Preferred demos is another story, but the household numbers will still carry them.)

2.  The two shows are, barring any surprises, remaining in production until the end of this decade, at least.

3.  KenJen was an aberration.  A very profitable aberration, ratings-wise, but still an aberration.  "J!" will still do well enough without him.

4.  Friedman could be considering bringing back returning champs, but I can't really see them taking off the limits, not when the show in the course of its history actually *reduced* the number of appearances a champion could make (five to three in the late 70s).   Despite that period in the late 80s-early 90s, "Wheel"'s run long enough without traditional returning champs that I don't think bringing them back would make any big ratings difference one way or the other.

fsk

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 10:14:12 PM »
Even if you solved the puzzle immediately on your turn without spinning, you'd only win the "house minimum" of $500.  If you add $6000 for the three tossups, you still could lose if another player managed to rack up some money and solve the puzzle without losing control.  Also, if you solved the puzzle immediately, the game would likely last longer than 4 or 5 rounds.

I thought that, if they suspected a player of using a controlled spin, they would tighten/loosen the wheel during the game?

wheelloon

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 10:23:12 PM »
I haven't heard of them tightening or loosening the Wheel, that would seem rather difficult, and to say the least... WEIRD... but I have heard before that the Wheel has to make one full revolution for the spin to count, but there have been many occasions I've seen where the Wheel only makes like half of one, usually when elderly people or teenagers are spinning.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 11:13:06 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 7 2004, 08:23 PM\']but I have heard before that the Wheel has to make one full revolution for the spin to count, but there have been many occasions I've seen where the Wheel only makes like half of one, usually when elderly people or teenagers are spinning.
[snapback]66415[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then obviously one or the other is not true, is it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wheelloon

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 11:51:43 PM »
DUHHH!!!  I was implyingly asking if anyone else had any idea about exactly what happens if a controlled spin was suspected...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2004, 01:46:22 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' date=\'Dec 7 2004, 09:51 PM\']DUHHH!!!  I was implyingly asking if anyone else had any idea about exactly what happens if a controlled spin was suspected...
[snapback]66421[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, then, again, one of two things is true: either nobody else got your "implied" question, either, or nobody cared enough to answer it.

I'll let you guess where I fall.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2004, 09:11:06 AM »
Despite that period in the late 80s-early 90s, "Wheel"'s run long enough without traditional returning champs that I don't think bringing them back would make any big ratings difference one way or the other.

I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the "Friday Finals".  That way, they could still play the Mon-Thurs shows out of order, or even whole weeks out of order if they chose to.  It would be nice to see the contestants who did the best be given another chance to add to their winnings, rather than just disappear.  This is especially true for contestants who didn't win their bonus round - it would give them one more shot at it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Future of Jeopardy
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 01:12:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 8 2004, 09:11 AM\']I wouldn't mind seeing the return of the "Friday Finals". [/quote]
In my opinion; this was the worst idea that came out of the Sony workshop.  How was this any different than having returning champions, period?  It seemed that they were aiming for more competitive games; but, IIRC, that didn't happen.
--Mark
Phil 4:13