Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Chair" host McEnroe's CNBC show axed  (Read 2572 times)

Fedya

"Chair" host McEnroe's CNBC show axed
« on: December 03, 2004, 09:59:50 PM »
This is about game shows if you consider The Chair to be a game show and not a torture show.  :-)

Link to article

According to the article, it was averaging 75,000 viewers (do they mean viewers or households) a night.  I have trouble figuring out the obscure world of cable ratings, since they don't seem to use the same numbers as broadcast.  But from GSN ratings I've seen mentioned here, isn't that 75,000 something like 30% of GSN's ratings?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

goongas

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:42:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 10:59 PM\']This is about game shows if you consider The Chair to be a game show and not a torture show.  :-)

Link to article

According to the article, it was averaging 75,000 viewers (do they mean viewers or households) a night.  I have trouble figuring out the obscure world of cable ratings, since they don't seem to use the same numbers as broadcast.  But from GSN ratings I've seen mentioned here, isn't that 75,000 something like 30% of GSN's ratings?
[snapback]66010[/snapback]
[/quote]

75,000 is test-pattern ratings for a name like CNBC.  They attract triple that during the daytime.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 01:36:57 AM »
I tried to be in denial about the ratings, hoping CNBC was at least being competitive there, until I actually landed there the other night.  Watching Kathy Griffin discussing her life as a "D-list celebrity" (her words, not mine) just drove home the point: D-List is about as good as Mac was ever going to get.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:37:53 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 10:59 PM\']This is about game shows if you consider The Chair to be a game show and not a torture show.  :-)

Link to article

According to the article, it was averaging 75,000 viewers (do they mean viewers or households) a night.  I have trouble figuring out the obscure world of cable ratings, since they don't seem to use the same numbers as broadcast.  But from GSN ratings I've seen mentioned here, isn't that 75,000 something like 30% of GSN's ratings?
[snapback]66010[/snapback]
[/quote]

75,000 is test-pattern ratings for a name like CNBC.  They attract triple that during the daytime.
[snapback]66018[/snapback]
[/quote]

And of course, they claim that a lot more people are watching in offices and bars that Nielsen doesn't monitor, even if the volume's muted and they only look every so often to check the ticker.

Even so, their daytime ratings are a lot lower than during the go-go market days of the late 90s, when Maria Baritomo was everyone's "Money Honey."  And they haven't seemed to be able to draw any crowd at night since the days of Tom Snyder and Bob "How's Your Penis?" Berkowitz--when Roger Ailes was running things before he invented America's Talking, saw NBC take it away from him to start MSNBC and then got Rupert Murdoch to start a news channel as revenge on NBC.  Wonder how that channel's doing lately...  :)

ObGameShow:  When CNBC's Bill Griffeth was at FNN, he hosted the "What's News?" call-in game show every so often (that was the one before the early edition of "Time Out for Trivia" with Todd "You're Outta Here" Donoho).

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 10:18:17 PM »
Actually, Donoho's signature line was "Take a hike!"

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 07:53:03 PM »
Mac's been cancelled? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Quote-Spewing "Chuckie Baby")

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 08:45:29 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 5 2004, 07:53 PM\']Mac's been cancelled? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! :-D
Chuck Donegan (The Quote-Spewing "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]66153[/snapback]
[/quote]

Most of the reasoning for the cancellation was that they allowed Johnny Mac to ask questions the way he did during "The Chair" -- thus the occasional 30 to 45 seconds of silence before John would say to his guest, "You may now answer the question".

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 06:44:10 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Dec 4 2004, 10:18 PM\']Actually, Donoho's signature line was "Take a hike!"
[snapback]66099[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, it's been a while.  :)

I do remember his "perhaps you've seen our timer..." bit while holding up his right hand and bending back the fingers before telling the contestant to--"take a hike!"