Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR and GSN  (Read 12921 times)

14gameshows

TPIR and GSN
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:12:38 AM »
OK, if the reason behind Moonves preventing Fremantle from allowing GSN to air reruns of PRICE is because of Overexposure, then why are most of CBS's primetime hits already on cable.  Without a Trace is on TNT, CSI is on twice a night on Spike TV, CSI:Miami is on A&E, Cold Case is on another station and of course the comedy shows are in syndication.  Isn't that overexposure for those shows?  Let's be for real, PRICE on GSN wouldn't hurt PRICE's daytime ratings much because alot of folk have to record the show and watch them later on in the evenings anyways.  Look at the college kids, IIRC a lot of college courses are happening during hte 11am hour.  How can they watch it, during breaks or by TiVo or VCR.  The ratings of PRICE are determined due to the older demographics who are actually home to watch it as it happens at 11am.  Also the older demographic probably dont watch GSN much or at least dont know where it is located on their cable/satellite line up, IMO.

Jimmy Owen

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:56:04 AM »
I don't know what it's like at colleges anymore.  When I was in college in the late '70s and early '80s, the only way I could watch TV was in the student lounge, nobody I knew had a TV in their actual dorm room. Has it progressed to VCRs and TIVOs? Of course, when I was in college, the bathrooms and showers were down the hall and we didn't have computers.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:05:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:56 AM\']I don't know what it's like at colleges anymore.  When I was in college in the late '70s and early '80s, the only way I could watch TV was in the student lounge, nobody I knew had a TV in their actual dorm room. Has it progressed to VCRs and TIVOs? Of course, when I was in college, the bathrooms and showers were down the hall and we didn't have computers.
[snapback]65946[/snapback]
[/quote]

It had progressed to TVs in most dorms and VCRs in some dorms by the mid 90s(my college years were August 1993-December 1997). I doubt anyone had a Tivo, Tivos weren't even introduced until the mid-late 90s, no? The 1993-94 school year at Trenton State College(College of NJ) saw no cable TV in the dorms, so those who wanted TV reception had to buy rabbit ears. Fall 1994 saw the introduction of cable, USA was among the stations IIRC but there was no FAM and of course, no GSN. There was one student lounge in the Student Center, but rarely was someone in there(I watched only 28 minutes of TV in that lounge).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:06:20 PM by zachhoran »

FeudDude

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 12:11:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 11:56 AM\']I don't know what it's like at colleges anymore.  When I was in college in the late '70s and early '80s, the only way I could watch TV was in the student lounge, nobody I knew had a TV in their actual dorm room. Has it progressed to VCRs and TIVOs? Of course, when I was in college, the bathrooms and showers were down the hall and we didn't have computers.
[snapback]65946[/snapback]
[/quote]

Most people in dorms do have TVs and VCRs - not sure about TiVo.  (We do still have bathrooms/showers down the hall here though...)

In a way, I could understand how Moonves would be worried about GSN overexposing TPIR, considering their tendency to show their most popular shows multiple times a day and to rerun-abuse their originals.  Still, I don't see why CBS couldn't reach some kind of compromise with GSN - for example, GSN would get the rights to the show but could only air it once a day and only after 4 pm.  In any case, I think it's more of a money issue than anything else - if GSN offered CBS/Fremantle/whoever enough money, they'd give in, but GSN prefers to spend their money on card game tournaments and (at least up until recently) reality shows

Jimmy Owen

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:34:07 PM »
Another thing is that TPIR is the kind of show that doesn't demand that you watch it first-run.  It's not like a soap or a primetime show where you are behind the pop culture curve if you don't watch it the first time it is presented.  A day and date nightly airing (or even old reruns) on GSN might harm the CBS show because you would not be forced to watch it at 11am.  Why watch or tape at 11am when you can see it on a cable channel that night?

cmjb13

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:51:04 PM »
Overexposure didn't seem to harm the CBS show when GSN had aired Price for about 4 years (Not to mention GSN aired 4 versions: Cullen, Barker, James, and Kennedy. Now that's overexposure).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 01:54:33 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 01:51 PM\']Overexposure didn't seem to harm the CBS show when GSN had aired Price for about 4 years (Not to mention GSN aired 4 versions: Cullen, Barker, James, and Kennedy)
[snapback]65956[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure if we can conclude that the main show wasn't harmed during that time, although GSN wasn't available to many viewers back then. There must be some reason it has been withdrawn from GSN.

aaron sica

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 02:00:45 PM »
Not to mention at one point (was in early 1997 at least, not sure how long), GSN would air TPiR in the afternoon at 1pm (EST). That was fine on the east coast, but on the west coast, it was airing at the same time as the CBS TPiR.

uncamark

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 01:57 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 01:51 PM\']Overexposure didn't seem to harm the CBS show when GSN had aired Price for about 4 years (Not to mention GSN aired 4 versions: Cullen, Barker, James, and Kennedy)
[/quote]

I'm not sure if we can conclude that the main show wasn't harmed during that time, although GSN wasn't available to many viewers back then. There must be some reason it has been withdrawn from GSN.
[snapback]65959[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right now, I would suspect that GSN would want to repurpose the current run of "TPIR" at night and is not really interested in regaining the back shows.  Doesn't matter--Moonves won't allow the repurpose.

Also, don't forget that CBS is a part-owner of the "CSI" franchise and stands to make a mint off of the show (not to mention the distributor, Viacom subsid King World).  CBS won't get a cent from any repurposing of "TPIR," because Fremantle owns that show 100% (they also own that show, too).

And I still believe that Barker doesn't want those shows where he's talking to Dian to be seen anywhere, even if they were 20 to 25 years ago.  It may've not mattered when the rights were first sold, since Jonathan Goodson was still involved then and Barker knew to stay out of his way.  Barker probably has more leverage now at Fremantle than he did when a Goodson was running things.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 03:26:52 PM by uncamark »

cmjb13

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 03:58:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 03:26 PM\']And I still believe that Barker doesn't want those shows where he's talking to Dian to be seen anywhere, even if they were 20 to 25 years ago.  It may've not mattered when the rights were first sold, since Jonathan Goodson was still involved then and Barker knew to stay out of his way.
[snapback]65968[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't forget that Barker own's a piece of the show (how big, I don't know), so it's in his financial interest for a deal like this to be done. (assuming if he's the holdout in finalizing a deal, which I don't think is the case)

Same thing goes for a new host (please don't respond to this, I'm just making a comparison). It's in his financial interest that a new host does well.

It's just common business sense.

Barker probably has more leverage now at Fremantle than he did when a Goodson was running things.
Well, Goodson was "the" man. Who's "the" man at Fremantle? Syd?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 04:02:08 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 04:08:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 03:58 PM\']
Barker probably has more leverage now at Fremantle than he did when a Goodson was running things.
Well, Goodson was "the" man. Who's "the" man at Fremantle? Syd?
[snapback]65973[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe a Brit named Greg Lyle is FremantleMedia North America's chief these days.  Syd was pushed into consultant limbo about the time Pearson bowed out and sold their share to RTL.  In a rare showing of insight by the Perfesser, he could probably also be called informally "Fremantle VP-in-charge-of-Barker."

zachhoran

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 07:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 01:51 PM\']Overexposure didn't seem to harm the CBS show when GSN had aired Price for about 4 years (Not to mention GSN aired 4 versions: Cullen, Barker, James, and Kennedy. Now that's overexposure).
[/quote]

The only Dennis James-hosted TPIRs that aired were the daytime shows in December 1974 where he subbed for Bob. The 70s nighttime TPIR never aired on GSN, since Bob supposedly vetoed showing those due to fur coats given away on most or all of the episodes.

aaron sica

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:40:27 PM »
Speaking of the '70s TPiR.....Was it a weekly show, or twice weekly toward the end? I have a May 1979 TV Guide ad for WLYH-TV 15 in which they have it on @ 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday....

zachhoran

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 07:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Dec 3 2004, 07:40 PM\']Speaking of the '70s TPiR.....Was it a weekly show, or twice weekly toward the end? I have a May 1979 TV Guide ad for WLYH-TV 15 in which they have it on @ 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday....
[snapback]65994[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was meant to be a weekly, but maybe some stations aired it twice weekly by the late 70s(as was done with Feud before it was expanded to five days a week, Name that Tune, and Squares before its expansion to five a week in 1980-81). WPVI Philly aired TPIR weekly Wednesday nights as 7:30PM, and aired Squares Tue and Thu and Feud Mon and Fri in 1979-80(IIRC Cullen Pyramid aired on Monday nights prior to 1979-80)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:43:44 PM by zachhoran »

SplitSecond

TPIR and GSN
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 07:58:22 PM »
I believe a Brit named Greg Lyle is FremantleMedia North America's chief these days.  Syd was pushed into consultant limbo about the time Pearson bowed out and sold their share to RTL.  In a rare showing of insight by the Perfesser, he could probably also be called informally "Fremantle VP-in-charge-of-Barker."
[snapback]65975[/snapback]

Well, you're right, except for the fact that his name is David Lyle, he's from Australia, and he hasn't been with Fremantle since February.

Tom Gutteridge ("Paradise Hotel") is the new head honcho.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:58:53 PM by SplitSecond »